Amp suggestions

mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I have a Top Hat Emplexador 50w head which I love to bits but for various reasons I need to try to reduce the physical size and weight of my gigging set up. I do gig a HX stomp with a PS170 and it sounds great but I’m just not ready to ditch valve amps totally (yet!).

So I’m looking for:
Classic Marshall (JTM45 / Plexi) sound
Single channel
No bells and whistles like voicing switches, Fx loops etc but not a deal breaker
Good master volume 
40-50w with enough head room to set at edge of break up and use pedals/treble booster for more drive and solos.

Crucially it needs to be small enough to fit on a 1x12 cab.

So far I have thought about a suhr badger 30 - great size, right voicing, does have an fx loop but that isn’t a deal breaker. I’m worried it might not have enough headroom though at 25-30w

Also thought about a Friedman DS but might physically be a bit big???

Brunetti Pleximan but how do you even go about finding one of those?!?

Have seen a company called FX amps which might fit the bill but I have absolutely no experience of these. @ThorpyFX did you have one of these previously? Any good? 

Any other contenders I should have a look at? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SO prob not a revv generator? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Cornell Plexi. 18.20.

You'll thank me.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    I have a Top Hat Emplexador 50w head which I love to bits but for various reasons I need to try to reduce the physical size and weight of my gigging set up. I do gig a HX stomp with a PS170 and it sounds great but I’m just not ready to ditch valve amps totally (yet!).

So I’m looking for:
    Classic Marshall (JTM45 / Plexi) sound
    Single channel
    No bells and whistles like voicing switches, Fx loops etc but not a deal breaker
    Good master volume 
    40-50w with enough head room to set at edge of break up and use pedals/treble booster for more drive and solos.

Crucially it needs to be small enough to fit on a 1x12 cab.

So far I have thought about a suhr badger 30 - great size, right voicing, does have an fx loop but that isn’t a deal breaker. I’m worried it might not have enough headroom though at 25-30w

Also thought about a Friedman DS but might physically be a bit big???

Brunetti Pleximan but how do you even go about finding one of those?!?

Have seen a company called FX amps which might fit the bill but I have absolutely no experience of these. @ThorpyFX did you have one of these previously? Any good? 

Any other contenders I should have a look at? 
    Fx amps make some incredible handwired amplifiers… thoroughly recommended 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Gassage said:
    Cornell Plexi. 18.20.

You'll thank me.
    You could try my EVA lead/ bass clone, languishing in the classifieds amp section, as above but considerably cheaper !!
  • Gassage said:
    Cornell Plexi. 18.20.

You'll thank me.
    Only 20w and no master volume though, as amazing as it undoubtedly sounds. The range of gigs I do I really need the control of a master volume amp

• Gassage said:
    Cornell Plexi. 18.20.

You'll thank me.
    You could try my EVA lead/ bass clone, languishing in the classifieds amp section, as above but considerably cheaper !!
    Similar to the Cornell really, stunning amp but I’m really after a head and they way I set my rig up I really do need a master volume amp. Thanks 
  • Maybe a few more bells and whistles than you need but consider: https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/studio/sv20c

There's no MV but I think the breakup sound is wonderful.
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    Gassage said:
    Cornell Plexi. 18.20.

You'll thank me.
    Only 20w and no master volume though, as amazing as it undoubtedly sounds. The range of gigs I do I really need the control of a master volume amp
    My marshall 1974x which this is a copy of i think. Did not have the headroom required once the drummer got going.

Something to think about.
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 360
    Getting a pleximan is a piece of cake. I ordered one direct from them earlier this year. Took bang on two weeks from emailing them to delivery to me. All in cost after shipping and vat was about £1200 which I think is excellent for what is a monstrous amp IMO. 
    I bloody love the thing! 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    How big is your 1 x 12?

A trainwreck rocket type amp, or any amp built into that chassis is very compact. Probably on par with the Brunetti

A JTM45 and a Plexi are two quite differen't amps

If you can pick up a JTM45 you can mount it in a much smaller head cabinet, master volume mod would be required though

• Marshall SV20h Plexi with a good attenuator to provide the master volume you want. Only 20w but a bloody loud 20w so might be worth a listen. 
  • Marshall SV20h Plexi with a good attenuator to provide the master volume you want. Only 20w but a bloody loud 20w so might be worth a listen. 
    I think these sound great but I’m really trying to avoid the attenuator route as it’s another thing to take to a gig and set up and an additional possible failure point. 

Some of the multi band line ups I play only have a 15mins switch over between bands so set up and break down time is minimal, plus the change over area can get a bit chaotic so the less bits of gear I have to keep track of the better
  • How big is your 1 x 12?

A trainwreck rocket type amp, or any amp built into that chassis is very compact. Probably on par with the Brunetti

A JTM45 and a Plexi are two quite differen't amps

If you can pick up a JTM45 you can mount it in a much smaller head cabinet, master volume mod would be required though

It’s 48cm in width. I don’t mind a slight overhang but my Emplexador head is much much wider, so much so that the feet don’t even sit on the top of the 1x12.

There just don’t seem to be too many compact, single channel classic voiced Marshall type amps around in the 30-50w range.

The Dr Z Remedy seems to be the only one that hits the nail on the head for exactly what I’m after but they are discontinued now I think so don’t fancy my chances of tracking one down
  • how about a victory sheriff 44?