Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Opinions on Earvana compensated nuts please.

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    @Evan ;

we have the 9.5" radius - use the dropdown list on the nut width for the other option

https://felineguitars.com/collections/earvana-compensated-tuning-nut/products/earvana-compensated-nut-fender-shelf-type-9-5-radius

But please feel very welcome to come and see us if you have time ....we're a friendly bunch  and we'd be happy to take a look at what is going on.

I'll be a bit obvious and ask if you've tried again with a fresh set of strings as old strings will intonate sharp and if the strings have been on and off they may not be at their best.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvanEvan Frets: 326
    @Evan ;

we have the 9.5" radius - use the dropdown list on the nut width for the other option

https://felineguitars.com/collections/earvana-compensated-tuning-nut/products/earvana-compensated-nut-fender-shelf-type-9-5-radius

But please feel very welcome to come and see us if you have time ....we're a friendly bunch  and we'd be happy to take a look at what is going on.

I'll be a bit obvious and ask if you've tried again with a fresh set of strings as old strings will intonate sharp and if the strings have been on and off they may not be at their best.
    Right, I’ll go back and have another look. 

Yes, I’ve just put on a fresh set of 10’s and it’s not much different, although I think I’m slowly training myself to lighten my touch, which I think is basically the problem. 

Thanks for the invite - I might take you up on it one day and ogle your wares!
  • @FelineGuitars How does the Earvana work with a bridge where each of the saddles is not independently adjustable (like trad Tele saddles or a Mastery)? 

I feel bad tapping you for info on a product you sell when Brexit has made it unfeasible to buy from you :-(
    tFB Trader
    @FelineGuitars How does the Earvana work with a bridge where each of the saddles is not independently adjustable (like trad Tele saddles or a Mastery)? 

I feel bad tapping you for info on a product you sell when Brexit has made it unfeasible to buy from you :-(
    On tele's we often suggest the Gotoh bridge with the twisting saddles as they can be optimised for perfect intonation

Mastery's are still a slight compromise but actually it still adds a lot of benefit 

And we still ship to EU and Ireland ya know - our website deducts the UK VAT 

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    I think the Earvana will only help when playing open strings. As soon as you fret a note it takes the nut out of the equation I think.
    No, as the string has a slightly different length when tuned open, it will affect the intonation beyond the nut.
    Steve - that's simply but beautifully put.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    jaymenon said:
    I think the Earvana will only help when playing open strings. As soon as you fret a note it takes the nut out of the equation I think.
    No, as the string has a slightly different length when tuned open, it will affect the intonation beyond the nut.
    Steve - that's simply but beautifully put.
    +1 to that 
    And it does - you find that the strings are in tune at the first, second, third etc etc up the board
    Once installed you reset the intonation at the 12th fret via the bridge like normal and it usually requires reducing the offsets a bit to keep the high end in too.

• @FelineGuitars How does the Earvana work with a bridge where each of the saddles is not independently adjustable (like trad Tele saddles or a Mastery)? 

It’s not getting charged UK VAT or even Irish VAT I’m worried about, it’s whatever extra handling/processing charge I’d get hit with at this end on top of the VAT plus the hassle of having to pay for it twice.

On a higher value item I could accept paying an extra tenner or whatever it is as a handling fee, on lower value stuff it just doesn’t make sense 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    Jon has put Earvanas on guitars for me, they sound great!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

It’s not getting charged UK VAT or even Irish VAT I’m worried about, it’s whatever extra handling/processing charge I’d get hit with at this end on top of the VAT plus the hassle of having to pay for it twice.

On a higher value item I could accept paying an extra tenner or whatever it is as a handling fee, on lower value stuff it just doesn’t make sense 

Why would you pay a handling fee? It'll go in the standard post as it's so small. I don't think letter sized mail is having a hard time unless it's a high value item. I've had a few things sent and not had any issues at all since Brexit.

Why would you pay a handling fee? It'll go in the standard post as it's so small. I don't think letter sized mail is having a hard time unless it's a high value item. I've had a few things sent and not had any issues at all since Brexit.
    You’ve been lucky so.

What should happen is that the UK-based seller disapplies UK VAT as the item is leaving the UK and the buyer gets charged local VAT at whatever the rate is in the EU country they are located in on both the value of the item and the shipping costs. For levying these fees the carrier then also charges a handling fee of whatever.

Before July 1st there had been a VAT exemption for lower value items in Ireland but this no longer applies. 

On a smaller item you might well get away with it but it is not guaranteed. I know of someone who bought some books from the UK for about EUR 30 and after paying VAT and handling fee, it ended up costing closer to EUR 50.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2021
    @Evan ;;;;

I’m just working myself up to buying one, but could you tell me what the string spacing is (e to e) please? The Allparts neck is a bit on the narrow side and the e strings are a bit close to the edge of the fretboard.

Also, you’ve got white at the moment, but does it come in an off white/ ivory colour, or is the white on your website actually an off white (it’s a roadworn looking guitar, so bright white might be a bit stark)?
  • My main gigging guitar about 10 years ago had one fitted as standard (LTD EC1000). As Jon says above, it kind of felt more musical than my other guitars. It definitely felt like it needed the tuning tweaked a lot less than my other guitars.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

tFB Trader
    Evan said:
    @Evan ;;;;

I’m just working myself up to buying one, but could you tell me what the string spacing is (e to e) please? The Allparts neck is a bit on the narrow side and the e strings are a bit close to the edge of the fretboard.

Also, you’ve got white at the moment, but does it come in an off white/ ivory colour?
    Yes the white ones are a slight off-white like Graphtech Tusq, so Ivory is a better description of their colour an it does age nicely too.

• Jon has installed several Earvana nuts on my guitars, and they definitely do help with the classic G chord / E chord tuning problem, and sweeten things up all over the fingerboard. I don’t have them on every guitar, but it is good to have the option and certainly worth looking at if you are having persistent problems with intonation.

Certainly more easily reversible than the true temperament board I have on one of my guitars…
    Evan said:
    @Evan ;;;;

Also, you’ve got white at the moment, but does it come in an off white/ ivory colour?
    Yes the white ones are a slight off-white like Graphtech Tusq, so Ivory is a better description of their colour an it does age nicely too.
    Thanks for the info - I’ve just gone and bought one from your website.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4091

I rarely need to tune my feline with its earvana nut. It's eerie. 
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I recently installed one on a les paul like guitar, I'm not sold on it to be honest.
    Yes it does make the open chords sound better but the trade off is that some of the first frets are actually now a bit flat ( which is better than being sharp to be fair ), and some of the high notes from the 15th fret onward are VERY sharp, like 12 cents, unless you intonate the 12th fret to be a bit flat ( like 5-6 cent ) for those string so that these higher frets are only about 6 cents sharp.
    So really it's a trade off.
  • Evan said:
    Evan said:
    @Evan ;;;;

Thanks for the info - I’ve just gone and bought one from your website.
    Now change your username to Earvan :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    lysander said:
    I recently installed one on a les paul like guitar, I'm not sold on it to be honest.
    Yes it does make the open chords sound better but the trade off is that some of the first frets are actually now a bit flat ( which is better than being sharp to be fair ), and some of the high notes from the 15th fret onward are VERY sharp, like 12 cents, unless you intonate the 12th fret to be a bit flat ( like 5-6 cent ) for those string so that these higher frets are only about 6 cents sharp.
    Something sounds wrong there but without looking it might be hard to diagnose what

• lysander said:
    Something sounds wrong there but without looking it might be hard to diagnose what
    I think this might be the reason there are such conflicting views on whether the Earvana works or not. 

Most of the users on here have had the nut installed by a pro (Jon), while most of those having issues seem to be self installed or have been done by a tech of an unknown skill level.