Best ODR-1?

What's Hot
jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
Hi all

Thinking of picking up an ODR-1 again. Had a silver one ages ago and even an original green one which I sold for a decent profit even before prices went mad (it was no better than the silver, sounded identical!!)

Anyway, the ODR-1 with the bass cut appeals but am now aware of loads of other options out there.

Not really interested in the mini nor the VS Open Road (wasn't as good as my old silver one, side by side - less defined, less gain, mushier) but the new Wampler Belle and Way Huge STO in particular are the two that look high quality without being massively more expensive than the Nobels. Any other options?

Honestly, the way huge tops the list coz it'll be well built, full size and a proper relay bypass (if it's like others?) but interested in others' thoughts. 

Fyi I'm keen on the higher (i.e. medium) gain sounds - it's got a bit of RAT in there when wound up, really miss that part of its tone!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EmielEmiel Frets: 212
    The general consensus on The Gear Page seems that the Nordland ODR-C is the one to get. It's made by the same guy who designed the ODR-1. I'm very eager to try one, although I don't really need it.

https://nordland-electronics.de/en/products/odr-c.html
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 93
    Emiel said:
    The general consensus on The Gear Page seems that the Nordland ODR-C is the one to get. It's made by the same guy who designed the ODR-1. I'm very eager to try one, although I don't really need it.

https://nordland-electronics.de/en/products/odr-c.html

That's what I've heard too. Been thinking about ordering one, but think I want to go Greer Soma 63 for my next drive....
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 363
    I’d just get the Nobels, Joe’s Pedals has them in stock for £79.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    I really liked the Wampler Belle when I tried it, that's the way I would go.
  • Half of the Wampler Paisley Deluxe is ODR based and sounds great. The other half replaced the Zendrive on BP’s board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    The Way Huge one sounds great on low to mid gain settings but a bit woolly when cranked.
  • The nordland has interested me - there's a cheaper mini-ish version without a mid control for a chunk less than the original 'custom' version I remember looking up a while back. Would work out about £160-170 delivered to the uk, which is a lot, but getting the best version of something from the original designer (and lining his pockets) is appealling...
  • DoctorX said:
    I saw that but doesn't look to be the 'bass cut' version. My amp is an MJW V6-15, which is JTM/tweed bassman based, and I'm certain that it'll be too bass heavy to use at high gain without some way of taming the pedal's low end!
  • Sassafras said:
    The Way Huge one sounds great on low to mid gain settings but a bit woolly when cranked.
    It's disappointing that Way Huge didn't include a bass control somewhere, given the amount of controls they add to other pedals. To this day I have no idea what the internal curve control on the Fat sandwich is for - it sounded best in stock position!
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 363
    DoctorX said:
    I saw that but doesn't look to be the 'bass cut' version. My amp is an MJW V6-15, which is JTM/tweed bassman based, and I'm certain that it'll be too bass heavy to use at high gain without some way of taming the pedal's low end!
    Oh right. So how come the Way Huge tops the list? That doesn’t have a bass cut either?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Sassafras said:
    It's disappointing that Way Huge didn't include a bass control somewhere, given the amount of controls they add to other pedals. To this day I have no idea what the internal curve control on the Fat sandwich is for - it sounded best in stock position!
    Yeah, I've found most WH pedals sound best in stock positions.
    The internal trim pot settings are mostly very subtle.
  • I'd get the odr-s
    Has the same sound but treble, mid and bass controls and more gain (if you need it)

They were always cheaper than the odr-1 as well
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DoctorX said:
    DoctorX said:
    Oh right. So how come the Way Huge tops the list? That doesn’t have a bass cut either?
    Tbh u thought the sto had some bass roll-off built in but might well be mistaken as I can't find any specific reference to it anywhere now I look!

I'd get the odr-s
    Has the same sound but treble, mid and bass controls and more gain (if you need it)

I have tried one of these in the past, certainly gainier and nice in its own right. Perhaps I need both??
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    DoctorX said:
    DoctorX said:
    Tbh u thought the sto had some bass roll-off built in but might well be mistaken as I can't find any specific reference to it anywhere now I look!

I'd get the odr-s

I have tried one of these in the past, certainly gainier and nice in its own right. Perhaps I need both??
    Get a barber gain changer.  

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    edited October 2021
    I had an ODR mini and Wampler Belle at the same time. Still have the Mini. 
    I didn't find the subtle tonal variations  offered by the Wampler enough to warrant the significant price difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DoctorX said:
    DoctorX said:

I'd get the odr-s

It's not currently on my board but I have always kept an odr-s and an odr-1. At the old sensible prices they were too good to sell
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DoctorX said:
    DoctorX said:

I'd get the odr-s

It's not currently on my board but I have always kept an odr-s and an odr-1. At the old sensible prices they were too good to sell
    I really wish I'd kept the green ones of each I had about 15 years ago. But they were both lost in the great unemployment purge of my early twenties. 
  • I have an original ODR-1 which I’ve had for ages. I’ve compared it to the VS-XO and the first Nordland ODR-C. The ODR-1 beat them both, and was the only one I kept. It just sounds great with very little tweaking. 

However, I was always gutted I never kept the ODR-C, so have taken advantage of my brother staying in Germany for a few months and ordered the new ODR-CC+ to his house, which he’ll bring home for me later this year. 

It’s obviously a bit pricier, but I’d say unless you’re going for an original ODR-1 then it’s the one to go for. Same original designer, same sounds, better components. 
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 212
    I have an original ODR-1 which I’ve had for ages. I’ve compared it to the VS-XO and the first Nordland ODR-C. The ODR-1 beat them both, and was the only one I kept. It just sounds great with very little tweaking. 

However, I was always gutted I never kept the ODR-C, so have taken advantage of my brother staying in Germany for a few months and ordered the new ODR-CC+ to his house, which he’ll bring home for me later this year. 

It’s obviously a bit pricier, but I’d say unless you’re going for an original ODR-1 then it’s the one to go for. Same original designer, same sounds, better components. 
    Can you briefly explain what it is for you that made the original ODR-1 beat the VS and Nordland? 

I had the non-bass cut ODR-1 reissue. It could be that overdrive pedal that you could use for virtually any style, but it simply has too much low end. 
  • Emiel said:
    I have an original ODR-1 which I’ve had for ages. I’ve compared it to the VS-XO and the first Nordland ODR-C. The ODR-1 beat them both, and was the only one I kept. It just sounds great with very little tweaking. 

Can you briefly explain what it is for you that made the original ODR-1 beat the VS and Nordland? 

I had the non-bass cut ODR-1 reissue. It could be that overdrive pedal that you could use for virtually any style, but it simply has too much low end. 
    Well, obviously it’ll be slightly subjective towards my own gear and tastes, but I mainly used it with a Telecaster into a Marshall and Bad Cat on light crunch. I loved the extra thickness and bottom end it added, as well as keeping the clarity. 

You could still dial this in on the Nordland, but with the extra knobs it came down to how easy it was on the ODR-1