Superfuzz suggestions

What's Hot
starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
edited October 2021 in FX
Hi all, 
im after a Univox Superfuzz clone. Whats a good one?
Versatility is desirable, so the more knobs, better, but not essential.

The most important thing for me is volume. 
I had a North Effects Superfuzz clone a couple years back, sounded fantastic but never got above unity gain. Reeeaaallly annoying!

Ive been looking at Fredric effects versions of these but dont know if they suffer the same volume problems.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    i've had a few, fav was the reuss goo goo fuzz. kid congo has one! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Behringer SF300 :).

It’s a copy of the Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz, which is a Superfuzz/FY-6 circuit but with added active EQ and more volume, and a clean boost mode.

The Boss sells for £150-£200 now, and is definitely better-built. The Behringer is about £25 new!

If you want a straight FY-6, the Wattson Superfuzz is the most accurate I think - now renamed Classic Fuzz for legal reasons… which obviously don’t bother Behringer. I found the vintage-accurate casing a nuisance though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM ;Id like to try the behringer actually, i do love cheapy pedals.

ive heard about the Wattson, seem very hard to find. But yes, not overly keen one the OG superfuzz enclosure shape either.

@Bbill335 good suggestion ive never heard of that but i’ll check it out.

any more i should ponder?
  • Also im not too familiar with differences between the Fy2 and Fy6 versions.
  • Behringer is a no brainer. If you don't like it at least it'll make a great door stop.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    @ICBM ;Id like to try the behringer actually, i do love cheapy pedals.

ive heard about the Wattson, seem very hard to find. But yes, not overly keen one the OG superfuzz enclosure shape either.

@Bbill335 good suggestion ive never heard of that but i’ll check it out.

any more i should ponder?
    The Behringer sounds great. I don't know if you've used them before but the knobs can seem a little flimsy and the plastic case also seems a little less than road worthy. I can't fault the sound of it though.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    I have had my 2nd hand RV600 reverb for over 10 years.... I've gigged it reheared and never had an issue with the build failing. They are tougher than they look.

• ive heard about the Wattson, seem very hard to find. But yes, not overly keen one the OG superfuzz enclosure shape either.

The Wattson is meant to be great. I've never had luck finding one at a reasonable price though. I ended up buying a Candy Apple Fuzz for a pedalboard friendly sized nasty fuzz.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    edited October 2021
    Smallsound/Bigsound Buzzz

I had one for a while - it's brilliant. Very versatile. This is the blurb from the SS/BS website:

the buzzz keeps the standard superfuzz sounds – a scrambled and clangy fuzz with pronounced upper octaving and lower harmonics/sub-frequencies – and adds additional controls to access milder dirty boost and drive tones, gated sputter and low buzz-tones.

the highly interactive controls include a wider gain range, voltage starve, gain modifier toggle, passive LPF, octave on/off and tone-blast toggle make for a surprisingly versatile fuzz capable of overdrive, buzzsaw fuzz and blistering octavia.

so many folks wanted the octave on a footswitch. wait no! …the tone-blast on a footswitch. wait no! octave! tone-blast! ok ok, i relented and gave buzzz the ability to toggle the left footswitch function between either tone-blast or octave… the choice is yours!
  • I have the Behringer one, I've no idea if it sounds like the pedals it shares a lineage with (ie, what it copies) but it does sound great especially on Fuzz 2. I think it's that one anyway.

The Jack socket is a bit annoying as the patch cable keeps coming out from time to time, but if I cared that much I could just put a cable tie around it.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 93
    ICBM said:
    Behringer SF300 :).

It’s a copy of the Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz, which is a Superfuzz/FY-6 circuit but with added active EQ and more volume, and a clean boost mode.

The Boss sells for £150-£200 now, and is definitely better-built. The Behringer is about £25 new!

If you want a straight FY-6, the Wattson Superfuzz is the most accurate I think - now renamed Classic Fuzz for legal reasons… which obviously don’t bother Behringer. I found the vintage-accurate casing a nuisance though.

What he said!!! I used to have an FZ2 that I (stupidly) sold for waaaay too little - but that's another story...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I've recently got the Behringer and it sounds great.

Very flimsy though so I wouldn't gig it though!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Smallsound/Bigsound Buzzz

I had one for a while - it's brilliant. Very versatile. This is the blurb from the SS/BS website:

the buzzz keeps the standard superfuzz sounds – a scrambled and clangy fuzz with pronounced upper octaving and lower harmonics/sub-frequencies – and adds additional controls to access milder dirty boost and drive tones, gated sputter and low buzz-tones.

the highly interactive controls include a wider gain range, voltage starve, gain modifier toggle, passive LPF, octave on/off and tone-blast toggle make for a surprisingly versatile fuzz capable of overdrive, buzzsaw fuzz and blistering octavia.

so many folks wanted the octave on a footswitch. wait no! …the tone-blast on a footswitch. wait no! octave! tone-blast! ok ok, i relented and gave buzzz the ability to toggle the left footswitch function between either tone-blast or octave… the choice is yours!
    the buzzz is a truly excellent fuzz but, much like the LAL 46 sooper (the only superfuzz i own right now), it doesn't excel at the classic fy6 sound and is more like the boss fz2. for old school superfuzz, reuss or fredric. for a heavier twist on that sound, ssbs, LAL or even the zvex octane are good choices. 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    The Behringer is the one to get. I have gigged with one as well, albeit only once and paying very careful attention to how hard I stomped on it! 

It basically nails that sound- Pete Townshend played a Shin Ei on Live at Leeds apparently. There's a bit in the My Generation medley where he's playing Sparks, and it sounds like the apocalypse- that Behringer nails that sound. 
  • Whereabouts in Devon are you ? I’m just over the border in Dorset and have the Behringer you can borrow to see if you like it ?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I don't think the Behringer casing is particularly fragile actually - I've never seen a broken one. The problem with them is that the jacks are a bit flimsy, and don't retain the plugs very well - not an issue on a pedalboard, but if it's a standalone pedal they have a tendency to get pulled out. I use right-angle plugs with mine and an elastic band round the pedal to be doubly sure :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• @DrCornelius thankyou for the kind offer, but im near Torquay, so would be a fair trek to Dorset tbh. 

I know id probably like the sound of the Behringer, and i probs will try one at some point, but ideally looking for something thats sturdy and will last.
    i own and love many cheap pedals, but none of them have to be reinforced with elastic bands! :)

The Ss/Bs buzz and Reuss seem great, but got a feeling i’ll have a very hard job finding either for sale atm.
    There doesnt seem to be a great deal of mid - priced readily available options in the UK
  • The Idiotbox Ron Swanson is a superfuzz. About £130 from Joe’s. 

• Just buy one from Amazon for £20 or thereabouts and if you hate it send it back. Else jump into boutique. 
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited October 2021
    @Yamaha77 ;After a bit of info digging, its a clone of the Shin ei FY6/Univox im after, not the FY2, which is what the Behringer sf300 is based on.