Superfuzz suggestions

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    edited October 2021

After a bit of info digging, its a clone of the Shin ei FY6/Univox im after, not the FY2, which is what the Behringer sf300 is based on.
    No, the Behringer is a copy of the Boss FZ-2, which is based on a FY-6 (not 2) with added active EQ. Confused? You will be... ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FML :)
    Just got a Behringer for £18. 
  • …and its arrived broken. Bugger.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited October 2021
    I just got one of these, it's an absolute beast

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/fuzz-pedals/fjord-fuzz-fenris-pedal

Based on the SF circuit but with all mod cons

Sounds like it could be the ticket?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooh, that looks nice. 
    Are those trimpots for fiddling with the octaves?
    Ooh, that looks nice. 
    Are those trimpots for fiddling with the octaves?
    There's an octave bias control on the front panel https://fjordfuzz.no/fenris-1/

Tbh I'm still getting to grips with the external knobs let alone trim pots ;-)

It sounds monstrous at any setting really. There's two notch filter controls and I'm not sure which is which. Mine is laid out differently to the one on the website. Might pop them an email and ask
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    …and its arrived broken. Bugger.
    How is it broken? Pot, jack, or something else?

Jacks are fairly easy to replace - or may just need re-soldering - pots are more difficult.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited October 2021
    ICBM said:
    …and its arrived broken. Bugger.
    How is it broken? Pot, jack, or something else?

Jacks are fairly easy to replace - or may just need re-soldering - pots are more difficult.
    Well the fuzz on all settings was barely there, nothing like what id should’ve been volume or gain wise. Mostly just my clean tone coming through, with a wisp of fuzz.
    when i unplugged it it was rattling, so i took it apart and one of the black caps had the top snapped off and was rolling about inside. 

I would fix it myself but the guy just refunded me the whole amount, so ive bought a new one.

I might use the spare to rehouse and tinker with.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6677
    I enjoy my Behringer SF300.
    I have no intention of using it live but it's a lot of fun and a great way to spend £19.99. Or something. 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Hi all, 
    im after a Univox Superfuzz clone. Whats a good one?
    Versatility is desirable, so the more knobs, better, but not essential.

The most important thing for me is volume. 
    I had a North Effects Superfuzz clone a couple years back, sounded fantastic but never got above unity gain. Reeeaaallly annoying!

Ive been looking at Fredric effects versions of these but dont know if they suffer the same volume problems.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hi, just seen this. I run Fredric Effects. FWIW, no Superfuzz (FY6) clone should be below unity gain unless something is wrong or the builder has omitted the final gain stage (the one after the volume control). This final gain stage - basically an LPB-1 boost circuit - is also shared by the FY Companion Fuzz side of the Fredric Effects Super Unpleasant Companion, so you don't have to low volume issue associated with the FY-2.

Did you know there are two versions of Super Unpleasant Companion now? The Classic in the Companion Fuzz sized box, and the Nouveau in the smaller wedge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh Super Fuzz into Phase 90 sounds amazing btw. Everyone should try this
  • @ICBM ;Id like to try the behringer actually, i do love cheapy pedals.

ive heard about the Wattson, seem very hard to find. But yes, not overly keen one the OG superfuzz enclosure shape either.

@Bbill335 good suggestion ive never heard of that but i’ll check it out.

any more i should ponder?
    I have one of the Behringer ones in a box if you are after one. Let me know

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• @timhulio cheers for the info. 
    @Cookiemonster all sorted for that, thanks for the offer though.

• @timhulio cheers for the info. 
    @Cookiemonster all sorted for that, thanks for the offer though.

No worries. If anyone does want a cheap Superfuzz message me, it's not being used and is pretty.much new

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey