NAD: Diezel VH4... ish

What's Hot

Comments

• Got mine 2nd hand on eBay a few years back now.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. I'm not in a position quite yet, have a few priority items to get before hand. But now I'm back in amp land, I'm definitely interested in finally getting a VH4, I've wanted one since Muse's Absolution came out, years and years ago.
    Same, and then for Hetfield's tones, and then later, Adam Jones.

I've just had another little jam on this baby one though and I have to say, I really am very impressed. It's got more range in it than I first gave it credit for - with the gain at ~9/10 o'clock it does an alright JCM/JMP impression, especially if you push the mids a bit. The Deep and Presence controls are superb too, really powerful for fine-tuning a tone. I'm also happy with how it reacts to volume controls - I'm not actually missing having a clean channel at all! I'm probably going to run it with the Gain at ~11/12 o'clock, then with my bridge pickup mostly on 10, and neck pickup dialled back to ~3; that way I have a pseudo 'clean' tone at hand without much of a volume drop, and it still breaks up nicely if I pick a bit harder... very cool indeed - I didn't expect to be able to use it this way - and it's no compromise at all on the driven bridge-pickup tone! :love: 

• Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. I'm not in a position quite yet, have a few priority items to get before hand. But now I'm back in amp land, I'm definitely interested in finally getting a VH4, I've wanted one since Muse's Absolution came out, years and years ago.

I've just had another little jam on this baby one though and I have to say, I really am very impressed. It's got more range in it than I first gave it credit for - with the gain at ~9/10 o'clock it does an alright JCM/JMP impression, especially if you push the mids a bit. The Deep and Presence controls are superb too, really powerful for fine-tuning a tone. I'm also happy with how it reacts to volume controls - I'm not actually missing having a clean channel at all! I'm probably going to run it with the Gain at ~11/12 o'clock, then with my bridge pickup mostly on 10, and neck pickup dialled back to ~3; that way I have a pseudo 'clean' tone at hand without much of a volume drop, and it still breaks up nicely if I pick a bit harder... very cool indeed - I didn't expect to be able to use it this way - and it's no compromise at all on the driven bridge-pickup tone! :love: 

Didnt realise Metaliica used them, I thought they were Mesa then AXE-FX. What era was that?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

Didnt realise Metaliica used them, I thought they were Mesa then AXE-FX. What era was that?
    90s into early 2000s. They used Wizard too.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    edited October 2021
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. I'm not in a position quite yet, have a few priority items to get before hand. But now I'm back in amp land, I'm definitely interested in finally getting a VH4, I've wanted one since Muse's Absolution came out, years and years ago.

I've just had another little jam on this baby one though and I have to say, I really am very impressed. It's got more range in it than I first gave it credit for - with the gain at ~9/10 o'clock it does an alright JCM/JMP impression, especially if you push the mids a bit. The Deep and Presence controls are superb too, really powerful for fine-tuning a tone. I'm also happy with how it reacts to volume controls - I'm not actually missing having a clean channel at all! I'm probably going to run it with the Gain at ~11/12 o'clock, then with my bridge pickup mostly on 10, and neck pickup dialled back to ~3; that way I have a pseudo 'clean' tone at hand without much of a volume drop, and it still breaks up nicely if I pick a bit harder... very cool indeed - I didn't expect to be able to use it this way - and it's no compromise at all on the driven bridge-pickup tone! love 

Early 2000s I think, Hetfield used Herberts and VH4s around the time of St Anger (I'm one of the oddballs that liked the L.P.!) before moving onto Axe-FX, I have a feeling they might have been used on Load and Re-load too but that could be my memory playing tricks on me. They're still listed as Diezel artists too:

http://diezelusa.com/artistsandmedia

*edit* This vid shows that (as of 2017) they're still using Diezel models in the Axe-FX too:

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687

Not the same kettle of salad but interesting. I need to check this out on headphones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The pedal is awesome. But I imagine nowhere near the same experience as the amp. You can here the difference in that video. Still cool though.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Jetfire said:

Not the same kettle of salad but interesting. I need to check this out on headphones
    Pedal sounded better than the amp there!

Bye!

• The pedal is awesome. But I imagine nowhere near the same experience as the amp. You can here the difference in that video. Still cool though.
    I have no doubts, but assuming the VH Micro is basically the pedal with a class D power amp in a box, I am very pleased to say it sounds stupdendously good as-is and I envy anyone who has the big-boi VH4 :)
    Jetfire said:

Pedal sounded better than the amp there!
    I think listening to it on headphones the amp has a better mid bottom sound.. bit more of a growl.. but still sounds great.  Sadly, doesnt explain how the pedal is being used, but Im assuming its in the fx loop of that same amp...
    I have no doubts, but assuming the VH Micro is basically the pedal with a class D power amp in a box, I am very pleased to say it sounds stupdendously good as-is and I envy anyone who has the big-boi VH4 :)

Sorry, mate, I realise how that post could piss on your chips, I didn't think. Was just reacting to that video. I'm sure that new amp of yours is immense. I loved the pedal when I had it...I just put it through a weak amp, at the time. Enjoy the new amp!

• @Jonathanthomas83 ;Haha no worries at all, I didn’t take it that way!

Oddly enough I’d been eyeing up the VH pedal for quite a while but kept missing out on used ones. I was readying to buy a Zerrer when these Micros were announced. I’m happy :)
  • @Jonathanthomas83 ;Haha no worries at all, I didn’t take it that way!

Oddly enough I’d been eyeing up the VH pedal for quite a while but kept missing out on used ones. I was readying to buy a Zerrer when these Micros were announced. I’m happy :)

That's awesome, mate, it's lovely when a plan works out! :-) ps, haha, sorry for hijacking your NAD thread...Deizel stuff makes me light up, I love the brand and whole ethos behind their stuff.

Confirmed by the maker, a licenced and tweaked VH4 pedal:

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/can-we-get-an-eta-price-specs-on-the-vh4-mini.209526/post-2518369
  • v cool, nice setup you got there! I struggled to find a decent small bedroom amp that could do Tool tones a couple years ago, wish these had been out then. Tried the VH4 pedal, loved it, but made my amp redundant as it sounds best going straight into an external power amp.
    What cabs are you using with this? I may have fallen out of love with the classic V30 tone...
  • Jetfire said:
    What cabs are you using with this? I may have fallen out of love with the classic V30 tone...
    Just the one - it's a Zilla fatbaby vertical, with a G12H-75 Creamback, it's demo'd here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkYA-dqnCgg
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited October 2021
    Jetfire said:
    With my (proper) VH4 I favour the G12-65 Heritage in Zilla 2x12.
    I was never a V30 fan.
    The other cab I sometimes use has creambacks in it.

• My baby Diezel arrived yesterday. Wow this thing sounds amazing - and not for just what it is - it just sounds damn great. You can just about get a clean tone from rolling the guitar volume down, but that's not what this thing is about anyway.

I was thinking I'd play with this thing a bit like a novelty. But it sounds so good I'll likely use it as my main home practice amp for a while. Have hooked it up in a 4CM setup with my HX Stomp and some other pedals. So I could add a clean channel via the Stomp.

Am pushing the Diezel with the Stomp's version of the Horizon Drive. Sounds really good. What a fabulous little amplifier. 

• Phew - not just me that loves it then! Congrats :)

I had a great jam on mine again yesterday, they really are quite superb little beasts!