What wood is this....

What's Hot
Can anyone please tell me what is this timber type.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BorkBork Frets: 255
    It's got the open pores of mahogany but not the colour. 
    It's got the grain pattern of ash but ash doesn't have those pores. 

More context would help rule out contenders.  For example, it could be something cheap and far eastern like 'fijian mahogany' aka meranti but if it's an old body from the seventies, that's unlikely as meranti wasn't widely available back then.  

Based just on appearances I would say some kind of eucalyptus.  But for teles?  It's hard, heavy and a total anathema to the tele sound.  But given how awful that neck pocket is, someone who can carve like that probably doesn't give a flying fig about the wood.

[This space for rent]

• WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Some type of mahogany, with the colour being messed up by the finish we can see
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    Yes I'd go with eucalyptus.
  • Yes I'd go with eucalyptus.
    Thanks Steve, its heavy,the whole guitar weighs 9lbs
    but it does ring very nicely unpluged and sounds good pluged too.
    I suppose eucalyptus might help the sound to breathe more..............
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Bork said:

But given how awful that neck pocket is, someone who can carve like that probably doesn't give a flying fig about the wood.
    The ‘awful’ pocket with over-routed corners is in fact vintage-correct for a 70s Fender :). Although it’s not one of those…

If it’s a modern Indonesian body or similar it could be something non-standard for guitar making - it actually reminds me of rubberwood.

http://timbermerchant.co.za/product/rubberwood/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein