Archtop & Solidbody. Languedoc inspired

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Found a good plank for the solid body idea

Its some flatsawn Afromosia.  It's most often used as a substitute for teak, but is less oily and a bit easier to work.  Not used it for a guitar before, so that should be interesting.  Teak is usually avoided for guitars, but Warmoth have used Afromosia for necks before i think

marked up, along with the poplar that will be used for the body

and roughly cut into grain matched blanks for the main parts

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    edited December 2021
    Looks like an interesting bass neck in the background.

I have a Warmoth Afromosia Strat neck, though it looks more like a darker maple than the plank that you have.
    the bass neck is an old Ibanez one that's in for a new skunk stripe.
    edited December 2021
    the solid body idea is going to need a lot of templates to work, but should be easy once they are done

I need

Body outline
    Plate outline
    Plate recess
    pickup outline
    Pickup Bobbin
    Tailpiece outline
    Tailpiece recess
    control cavity
    Control cavity recess
    Control cavity cover

This is where a CNC would come in handy, but I don't have one so its all going to be done by hand

I have just made plate outline, pickup outline and pickup bobbin outline - slight change of shape on the plate from the initial drawing

a few other unusual design decision have been made too.

The tailpiece will be decorative, with string through holes going right through the body   It will also be partially recessed, and hide a small cavity so I can use an end pin jack

I'm also planning on adding a radius to the front and back of the guitar, after all these other routes are done

• WezV said:
    the bass neck is an old Ibanez one that's in for a new skunk stripe.
    Hooray, she's famous! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1328
    I'm excited to follow this one progress. Is it a commission, a build to sell or one you're planning to keep?
    The hollowbody will be a commission, likely starting properly next year once wood had settled in a bit more.

The solid body is just me playing around.  Won't decide what to do with it till its done 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1328
    edited December 2021
    Feel free to tell me to piss off as I'm an admirer of your work and you have a great eye, but I think the pickguard could be tweaked. My thinking is the body is offset, so not sure about the straight across LP Special DC style horn. The end of the pickguard also doesnt seem to mirror the curves on the body, perhaps it could mirror the horn shape.

A bit like this (again, feel free to tell me to piss off or entirely ignore me  ;)

I like the suggestion.

My plan is to carve and bevel it into a more flowing 3D shape, imagine a peak in the carve  not far from your yellow line
    Managed to get a lot done on the solid body today

Poplar body is cut out and neck has been trimmed to size

Neck has been routed for truss rod and trimmed to size

Plate has been routed to size and had the p90 routes front and back.... 8 can hand carve it to shape from there.

The afromosia is odd to work with.   Routes great, but double side tape doesn't stick to it at all.  We'll, you think it's stuck, then it suddenly releases itself on a whim.   That almost caused some router slips!!! 

• Loving the scratchplate. 
    edited December 2021
    Pickups for the hollowbody arrived.   Placed on the soldibody here to give an idea how it will look

The neck is a Charlie Christian, bridge is a PA Bigbsy style, both in matching nickel dogear bezels.   Marc at mojo pickups really rose to the challenge here, I think they look awesome!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    WezV said:
    The afromosia is odd to work with.   Routes great, but double side tape doesn't stick to it at all.  We'll, you think it's stuck, then it suddenly releases itself on a whim.   That almost caused some router slips!!! 
    Good to know. I was thinking of using that afromosia neck blank you gave me for the 1Q22 project. Maybe I’ll keep things simple, and use maple instead.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Hi Wez, pickups look great, just one thing, Marc had said Charlie Christian bridge and Bigsby neck, because of the relative outputs.  It will be interesting to see how the solid and hollow work out.  Are you putting P-90's in both positions on the solid body?
    Yes, although I haven't decided what yet.  I may go for a blade option on that too
    Routed for the plate and tailpiece  also done control cavity and drilled for slightly recessed knobs

Also routed some ledges in the top  and smoothed them out to guvve a subtle radius

The back is marked up for the same, just need to make a wooden cavity cover first so it can all be radiused at the same time.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's some precision routing.   I hadn't realized that you were going to have the afromosia inset into the body.  It will look very interesting as you get things more assembled.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    It's not CNC precise, but I'm happy with how it went.  Can't have it too precise as the whole plate needs to be able to be raised and tilted as needed.

It will also have a recessed string block and cavity cover round back. Along with recessed wooden knobs on the front.

With a block colour for the body  it should make the afromosia really pop.   Likely plain white or plain black I think, I might try a milk paint finish too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    I turned a couple of Afromosia knobs on the drill press

I used a basic holesaw like this

I started with the drill bit in the holesaw and went half way through, then removed the drill bit to cut all the way through.  I left them tall at first, then cut down to size after double checking the depth of the center hole to make sure I didn't drill all the way through.

once that was done I drilled them out for some knob inserts, and a recess for the washer and nut (slightly off center, not on purpose) mounted them on the wrong end of a drill, put it back in the drill press upside down.  Then i could turn them to shape with a file and various grits of sandpaper and finally a bit of boiled linseed oil

simple, but i think they will suit the guitar.  They feel great so I'm really hopeful the neck will be similar 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom