Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Polishing Frets

What's Hot
Hi guys - this will sound like a dumb question - but if you don’t know…you don’t know (meaning me !!).

I want to gently put some shine back onto my frets, so was hoping to use a Dadarrio product (they do not need any major treatment, just a bit of polishing). Am planning to mask off the rosewood board first, but before I do - can someone advise if I am ok to use low tack masking tape (typical stuff used in decorating) ?

Or could that leave grease/glue/white residue in the rosewood grain ? I don’t want to use anything that may contaminate a beautiful fretboard.

As always - many thanks for some steering !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I'll let the luthiers among us give a more informed response, but I have a packet of the D'addario fret polishing paper, and it comes with a card template that goes over the fretboard and leaves the fret exposed- perfectly adequate for the job in my experience. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    As long as it comes off within a few hours it's fine.  Leave it too long and it can leave residue.   

Even if it does leave residue, it can be removed easily.  The most stubborn residue from years old masking tape can be removed easily with a bit of white spirit.

If you want it to be lower tack, stick it to your t-shirt first.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Funnily enough, I was considering a thread about this.

If you’ll forgive me for a partial thread derailment @SPECTRUM001, I’m going to buy a Squier Affinity Tele for my son to take to university. The ones I’ve played have decent fretwork - except for the lack of a final polish. Would the various commercially available products be sufficient for dealing with this, or do I really need to pay to have done by a pro?
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1730
    tFB Trader
    If you need to do a more substantial job finishing them up a simple way to do it is with the micromesh pad sets and then just hit it with some Autosol and elbow grease.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Mesh-Soft-Touch-Variety-Pack/dp/B000H6EC4C/ref=asc_df_B000H6EC4C/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256007919056&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10010203213096675116&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045715&hvtargid=pla-406644622055&psc=1

Work up through the grits, the fact that they are foam backed means youre unlikely to change the shape of the fret.

Yellow frogtape is pretty nice to use and the price isnt bad if youre only doing one job.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the replies, and no worries @richardhomer; the more info the better !

My hesitation derives from other threads I have read about the difficulty removing white residue in rosewood grain once embedded (I don’t know how true this is).
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    Late now but bump this tomorrow I know there are lots of links out there, a fairly simple and safe process if you have the basics of hand eye coordination.

Polishing frets makes a guitar feel awesome (assuming everything else in good shape).
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 165
    I use Crimson Guitars fret rubbers. You can get a set of four different grits but I tend to use the fine and superfine most of the time. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    I just use some 0000 wire wool and Dunlops fret collars. 

That does a good job if the frets arent too too bad to begin with. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Yes just use a high quality masking tape as some cheap ones can end up getting stuck.

If you have an old nitro finish with lots of checking, sometimes masking tape can lift little slivers of nitro, so tread carefully.
  • Miracle Cloth…plus your axe will smell like coconut…mmmm
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    edited October 2021
    Tape off your fretboard with blue painter's tape and polish the frets with very fine steel wool. Works great. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 600
    edited November 2021

If you have an old nitro finish with lots of checking, sometimes masking tape can lift little slivers of nitro, so tread carefully.
    This has happened to me too.. got to be careful with older guitars!

I'm also careful not to wrap the tape over the edges of the board and around the back of the neck now. I just leave it hanging loose at the edge of the board.
    I've always used masking tape and the cheap stuff (or stuff that's been in the shed for years) always leaves more residue. It's easy enough to get off, just a hassle.
    There is a type of frog tape (yellow?) which is for more delicate surfaces and works well.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7011
    tFB Trader
    I find that neither 0000 wire wool nor fret rubbers achieve a mirror shine. For that you need Autosol (messy) or fine Micromesh. The D'Addario polishing paper (OEM 3M I think) works well.
  • I’ve never heard of the D ‘ Addario polishing paper it sounds good plus the fact you get one of those templates sounds a win . I’m assuming that using this you don’t need to cover your pickups like with wire wool 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    These which are basically Gorgomyte in massive sheets

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Plus 1 for Gorgomyte but go for Miracle Cloth which is the same thing but half the price.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I use low tack masking tape and micromesh pads, or when I'm doing a very quick job I skip the tape and just use one of those small metal fretboard shields that leave one fret exposed at a time. I did that just 2 days ago as it happens, on a £5 nylon strung acoustic
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11559
    Miracle Cloth…plus your axe will smell like coconut…mmmm
    Do you still need to mask off the frets with this?
  • Also mask off the pickups so the filed off fret material / slash debris from for 0000 wire wool isn't magnetically attracted to the pickups, you'll never get the filings off.
  • Offset said:
    Miracle Cloth…plus your axe will smell like coconut…mmmm
    Do you still need to mask off the frets with this?
    No. It can also be used to freshen up your fretboard.
    Link to my trading feedback