New (Old) Amp Day: Knackered Selmer Zodiac Twin Fifty

What's Hot

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    A friend of mine who knows all things Vox told me that those large white resisters are very robust and can usually be kept as they don't drift or go noisy like some others do. Also those WIMA Tropyfoil caps will probably be ok too. A sympathetic service is what is required I think and not your general amp repair guy from the local shop who would most likely gut the entire chassis!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Ossyrocks said:
    A friend of mine who knows all things Vox told me that those large white resisters are very robust and can usually be kept as they don't drift or go noisy like some others do. Also those WIMA Tropyfoil caps will probably be ok too. A sympathetic service is what is required I think and not your general amp repair guy from the local shop who would most likely gut the entire chassis!
    Luckily, I have a few people not-too-far-away who I can trust with the job.

Once I've sorted who'll be doing it, I'll just drop the "kit" of stripped-out parts off and ask them to crack on while I fanny about with the cabinet. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Ossyrocks said:

Incidentally, I'll want the GZ34 reinstating. Never liked that particular hack.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Ossyrocks said:

It may have been removed if the mains transformer was changed, if the new transformer has no 5v tap for the rectifier.
    Ossyrocks said:
    Ossyrocks said:

It may have been removed if the mains transformer was changed, if the new transformer has no 5v tap for the rectifier.
    Oooh, good point - hadn't thought of that! 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Ossyrocks said:
    HarrySeven said:

Certainly a possibility. What are the cut-off wires at the lower right in this pic? Looks like a bit of bell wire though...

In any case, I would probably plan on getting a better pair of more original-type ones as the first step.

You could even pick up something like an old Linear Concord amp fairly cheaply and use it as a donor.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• easyrazorseasyrazors Frets: 14
    edited October 2021
    My Twin 30 had been recabbed before I got it. Found some silver & black crocskin vinyl in the USA, which whilst not authentic was the closest I could find. One day I'll build a cab to the correct specification,  maybe...

http://imgur.com/a/8tVAqYe
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My Twin 30 had been recabbed before I got it. Found some silver & black crocskin vinyl in the USA, which whilst not authentic was the closest I could find. One day I'll build a cab to the correct specification,  maybe...

http://imgur.com/a/8tVAqYe
    Still looks very cool! :)

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    @HarrySeven - there is a guy in your neck of the woods called Volt Amps who can probably help - Not spoken to him for a while but a good reputation as far as I know - If you can't find him via google then let me know and I'll see if I still have his number
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @HarrySeven - there is a guy in your neck of the woods called Volt Amps who can probably help - Not spoken to him for a while but a good reputation as far as I know - If you can't find him via google then let me know and I'll see if I still have his number
    Cheers! :)

• PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    I really hope you can get this up and running. I've not played a 50 but a rehearsal studio I used to go to in Camden had a Treble and Bass and Zodiac 30. They were fantastic.

Is the baffle made of Masonite?
    Pabcrane said:
    I really hope you can get this up and running. I've not played a 50 but a rehearsal studio I used to go to in Camden had a Treble and Bass and Zodiac 30. They were fantastic.
    I actually think the 30 is a better-sounding amp than the 50, although they're both good. The 50 is better for clean headroom but very strident when it overdrives, the 30 is fatter and more compressed.

Pabcrane said:

Not unless someone has made a DIY replacement! The original is ply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cheers! :)
    I know Geoff too and I do have his number if you need it.
    ICBM said:
    Pabcrane said:
    I actually think the 30 is a better-sounding amp than the 50, although they're both good. The 50 is better for clean headroom but very strident when it overdrives, the 30 is fatter and more compressed.

Pabcrane said:

Not unless someone has made a DIY replacement! The original is ply.
    Yup. Definitely ply.

• FlowboyFlowboy Frets: 1
    When I come across stuff about these Amps I always have to say something, or cry... My old band mate in the early 80's had a twin thirty, full croc skin, black & gold wired grill cloth, original footswitch etc. Got it from an old barn dance guy,  PX / swapped for an H&H combo! It was an amazing amp. Fantastic push button eq "voices". A real character of its own. Had a spectacular blow up at a gig with a shower of sparks so we took it in for repair ( along with a pair of 60's Marshall pa columns. The shop did a midnight flit. Never saw the amp again.
  • Selmer amps, particularly the Zodiacs, fascinate me. But there’s not many good quality demos about.

Can anyone describe how they sound, perhaps by comparison to a Vox AC30 or similarly powered Fender BF amp (as these are the sounds I’m most familiar with)?
    Smoother and cleaner than an AC30, warmer and richer than a Fender Pro Reverb. The Zodiac 30 is one of the very few guitar amps that is genuinely Class A, although it really hammers the EL34s to get there. (Not that being Class A is inherently better, it’s just a particular operating condition - and the AC30 isn’t, despite always being claimed as the typical example.) The 50 is a more conventional Class AB.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks ICBM.

I wonder if we’ll ever see them come back. We’ve seen the likes of Supro and Magnatone come back in the last decade so who knows.

I wonder if we’ll ever see them come back. We’ve seen the likes of Supro and Magnatone come back in the last decade so who knows.
    They would be very expensive to make now - they’re complex physically and very inefficient from a circuit design point of view as well as electrically. On the other hand, if modernised with PCB construction and built in China or Vietnam, anything is possible…

• The Selmer Zodiac Twin 30 was actually the crunchy sounding amp used on The White Stripes Elephant, not the Silvertone he's more typically associated with.

Did the Twin 50 just sound like a louder version of the same kind of sound?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic