Telecaster Project

I wanted share a recent project that I finished and very happy about the result.
I had a redundant telecaster body which is not perfectly standard, built in the past for a custom telecaster which I changed the body. I bought a neck from Ebay and decided to collect the rest of the parts from the forum. The plan pretty much worked, I bought some hardware and the pickguard from Northwest Guitars but managed to collect the rest from the forum. Especially great thanks to @Grangefirth for fantastic pickups and the harness. 

It ended much better than I imagined. Solid guitar, very resonant with a nice chunky neck. British racing green and mint pickguard. Josephina hand wound neck pickup and Oil City bridge, sounds fantastic. I was not planning to keep it, it was more a build challange for me but I think I will keep it for a while. 

1st challange was refinishing front side of the body: 
I bought nitro spray first but I understood that it would be impossible to apply it with in a flat or on the street. Multiple layers, curing time etc.. So I decided to buy normal spray paint from Amazon applied it outside, quick and dirty. Sanded the side and apply the paint, let it cured for 2 days.

It ended ok I guess, not perfect as a pro finish but good enough for me. 

I modified the neck for sitting in the body deeper for correct scale length. 

Another  challenge was to drill neck holes becasue the body was not a standard one. I used a cheap clamp and couldn't drill the holes perfectly but with playing a little bit with string positions on the saddles, it ended up good. 

Fun photo: At one point things get crazy becasue of limited space in the house. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Glad you enjoyed your project.

I suspect that this Discussion has elicited scant replies because you presented the finished product in your opening post.

On this forum, the preferred approach seems to be to read about the project whilst it is in progress. The OP reports progress to date, followed by the proposed next step.

At this point, forumites can interject in the style of Harry Enfield's "You don't want to do it like that" character. VIcarious guitar assembling or an attempt to sell you parts? Who can say? ;)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342

On this forum, the preferred approach seems to be to read about the project whilst it is in progress.
    You don't want to do it like that!

It's always good to see that you can create a fine looking guitar without having a fully equipped workshop to work in!  Congrats @Josh_Cosku ;
    :+1:
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    That looks really nice!

I'm on with a very similar project too! I'm just waiting for pickups from Alegree and then will make a start. I'm trying to go for an "NOS" kind of look, with the hardware a little tarnished and light wear here and there. I'll post a thread on it when I make a start.
    Reassuring to know that you got a nice guitar out of it at the end, but above all enjoyed the process.

Rob
  • Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 148
    edited October 2021
    @Funkfingers thnak you for the feedback. Yes, it make sense to share the whole experience like a live broadcast and sharing questions and learnings on time. I will do it next time. 

TTony said:

On this forum, the preferred approach seems to be to read about the project whilst it is in progress.

It's always good to see that you can create a fine looking guitar without having a fully equipped workshop to work in!  Congrats @Josh_Cosku ;

1 Thank you very much @TTony appreciated. 

@Ossyrocks Thank you! Yes it was a fun process. I made some mistakes but learned a lot too. I will do rubbing/sanding to shiny parts for a NOS look as well. Please share the details with your project, very curious to see staged and result. 

I would love to try to build a guitar from scratch but I definately need some space and new tools. Maybe in the future. 
  • That turned out really rather good I think, especially given your limited space/resources.

Nice colour choice. 
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    @Funkfingers thnak you for the feedback. Yes, it make sense to share the whole experience like a live broadcast and sharing questions and learnings on time. I will do it next time. 

TTony said:

1 Thank you very much @TTony appreciated. 

@Ossyrocks Thank you! Yes it was a fun process. I made some mistakes but learned a lot too. I will do rubbing/sanding to shiny parts for a NOS look as well. Please share the details with your project, very curious to see staged and result. 

I would love to try to build a guitar from scratch but I definately need some space and new tools. Maybe in the future. 
    Will do. However I’m not painting it, I bought a secondhand GuitarBuild body already finished in nitro.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    Excellent! :D 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260
    nice one