Anyone ever get a general fatigue with their amp voicing?

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
edited October 2021 in Amps
Now the amp is fine, in fact it's just been serviced, power tubes tested fine and still match, went through the preamp tubes substituting each for a known good tube and all good there.

I'm just finding I'm preferring my other amp on it's own. After being without it for a couple weeks while serviced its sound is suddenly unsatisfying in isolation now have it back.

None of the IR presets I dialled in sound good to my ears and have started from scratch.

That being said, I checked it against some YT demos and it sounds right, all the characteristics that's are bugging me are there, but bug me less when I hear it from other people.

Still sounds good as a blend or in a mix I suppose.

Subjective Perception, eh?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    No ,I always just buy more amps !
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader

Yes, when you are spoilt for choice its easy to have many love/hate relationships.

My experience when this happens is I get the soldering iron out and end up modding the questionable amp, then end up with two amps that sound the same. so I get the iron out again as I don't need two amps that sound the same.

I would play through a speaker cab and ditch the load box for a bit too so you are comfortable with how the amp should sound with the IR's

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23941
    All the time.

For the first time in years I'm down to 1 bass amp. It's very versatile but it won't do every tone I want and I find myself craving everything it can't do.

Most annoying!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Anyone who owns an ID:Core and/or a Katana.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    When I play at home a lot I will rotate anything that isn't working. I have three vox based amps. When I play out I make what I've taken to work. I've even taken the rickenbacker just to be perverse.

We get bored easily. We think that something is better. Grass greener. I bought a bad cat instead of a matchless. Two years later I bought a matchless. I still have both. And a morgan. Three amps all the same, rotated when bored. I also have a zvex nano I don't use.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    tekbow said:

Yes. For about seven years I had a Mesa DC-5, which I loved. Then one day I realised I didn’t any more… the sound just started to irritate me.

I swapped it for a Trem-o-verb.

slacker said:

I also have a zvex nano I don't use.
    I miss mine a bit, but not sure I can justify another one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    ICBM said:
    tekbow said:

Yes. For about seven years I had a Mesa DC-5, which I loved. Then one day I realised I didn’t any more… the sound just started to irritate me.

I swapped it for a Trem-o-verb.

slacker said:

I also have a zvex nano I don't use.
    I miss mine a bit, but not sure I can justify another one.
    mine has a purple sparkle paintjob which would be very hard to replace if I got sellers remorse.
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    edited October 2021
    That was a frustrating unproductive evening.

Kinda Got the SLO OD channel sounding good in isolation, but by god if my stereo amp blend settings are all out the window.

You do hear tell of the SLO fizz from time to time, and that once you hear it, you can't Unhear it.

Now I've always appreciated it's high mid cut, but not tonight.

And I can't get a punchy tone on the crunch channel to save my life.

To be fair I'm playing around with a tone I don't typically use, and trying to do it without pedals or boosts.

@modulus_amps you might be onto something. That day with your 212 was the best the amp has sounded.
    edited October 2021
    Double post
    And today, I sit down, turn everything back on all the same settings as yesterday, and guitar.

Sounds exactly like I wanted it to.

How? :lol:

We had a major bit of rain last night, presumably High air pressure. Maybe why everything sounded dead as fuck?

Or maybe voltage fluctuations on the mains? I remember there being another thread about such things a few days ago.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    tekbow said:
    And today, I sit down, turn everything back on all the same settings as yesterday, and guitar.

How? :lol:

We had a major bit of rain last night, presumably High air pressure. Maybe why everything sounded dead as fuck?

Or maybe voltage fluctuations on the mains? I remember there being another thread about such things a few days ago.
    Did you record any of it yesterday? Thats probably your ears just forgotten the sound you didn't like enough to zone it out agian.

I will be honest and say I much prefer the sound of the Gower over the SLO, the SLO was much more compressed, which in isolation sounds good but is more challenging in a mix.

Just play the amp you prefer on the day, it will inspire you more!
    edited October 2021
    tekbow said:

How? lol

Did you record any of it yesterday? Thats probably your ears just forgotten the sound you didn't like enough to zone it out agian.

I will be honest and say I much prefer the sound of the Gower over the SLO, the SLO was much more compressed, which in isolation sounds good but is more challenging in a mix.

Just play the amp you prefer on the day, it will inspire you more!

I'd have swore blind yesterday that everything from the SLO sounded like it was being played on the neck pickup yesterday, with added plumminess, indistinctness and kind of washing out with dead sustain.

Didn't record, should have though.

The Gower wasn't sounding great Either, and when I stereo'd em, it was all just a hollow wash (not phase, checked that too).

I agree with the SLO and compression. It doesnt sound like most expect it to however its does cut a mix surprisingly well via that high mid range that can become occasionally fatiguing (or that some develop an outright allergy) to in isolation.

Btw, between us, I also like the Gower better. Not by much but there you go, and that's coming from someone that is serious Soldano Fanboi.
  • Occasionally. Usually I just build something else to play with for a bit until I get bored of that then rotate. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Not since I bought my little Cornell Romany plus 1x12” with reverb....but I still have GAS for another amp at least 10 times a day  :#