Lunchbox amps vs proper amps listening experiences

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5628
I'm not wishing to compare tone between the likes of Spark or THR10 type amps with their bigger cousins or the versatility of an old tube amp compared to a USB desktop amp, but I wonder if anyone has noticed a similar phenomenon to what I have.

When playing through any kind of lunchbox/desktop amp with a small form factor and quite small speakers, I notice that my hearing fatigues much faster than if I'm playing through a "proper" amp with full size 10" or 12" speakers for an equivalent volume.

I can play through my Fender Hot Rod for hours at a reasonable volume and never get tired, but my Spark or THR10 at a similar volume seems to fatigue my hearing very quickly and I just have to stop playing.

Anyone else noticed this?  Is there any science behind why?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I don’t think it’s the speaker size. I’ve found the Boss Katana and the Blackstar ID Cores very fatiguing too, the Katana especially. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Orange Micro Terror is fatiguing through any sized speaker.
    I also find high gain very fatiguing after about 20 minutes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    Sassafras said:
    I also find high gain very fatiguing after about 20 minutes.
    That’s quite true!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    ICBM said:
    I don’t think it’s the speaker size. I’ve found the Boss Katana and the Blackstar ID Cores very fatiguing too, the Katana especially. 

And we all thought you loved the Katana :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Sassafras said:
    Orange Micro Terror is fatiguing through any sized speaker.
    This too. I was trying to avoid sounding like a stuck record though :).

Interestingly, it’s not quite as bad at 16 ohms - and I don’t think it’s just the slightly lower volume, so I think it’s some characteristic of the power section.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    I've found the Nux mini amps are pretty good. 
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 628
    Haych said:
    I'm not wishing to compare tone between the likes of Spark or THR10 type amps with their bigger cousins or the versatility of an old tube amp compared to a USB desktop amp, but I wonder if anyone has noticed a similar phenomenon to what I have.

When playing through any kind of lunchbox/desktop amp with a small form factor and quite small speakers, I notice that my hearing fatigues much faster than if I'm playing through a "proper" amp with full size 10" or 12" speakers for an equivalent volume.

I can play through my Fender Hot Rod for hours at a reasonable volume and never get tired, but my Spark or THR10 at a similar volume seems to fatigue my hearing very quickly and I just have to stop playing.

Anyone else noticed this?  Is there any science behind why?
    Always wonder if I'm just a fusspot about this sort of thing, so nice to know I'm not alone!

When I first got a THR10C I played through it for a few weeks and put it back in the box for ages. While I couldn't tell you exactly what was fatiguing about it, I was able to dial it out when I finally bothered to plug it into the computer and fiddle with the presets. No issues with it now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Will take ICBM's word for it that it's not a function of speaker size, but the only other gadget I've ever had that was as bad was a little all-in-one CD/radio/streamer – absolutely hated it, and there was no fixing that one, unfortunately.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 628
    (As an aside, fiddling with the THR10's software also fixed a weird metallic overtone that bothered me tremendously. Also have no idea how that worked. I find my ignorance in these matters quite frustrating sometimes, but obviously not frustrating enough to do anything about it.)
  • I'm going to default to the voodoo answer - maybe it's the lack of subtle dynamics and non-linearities that you get with a decent valve amp? Same thing with VSTs. Without getting into an analog/digital debate, a real tape echo has a certain candy to it that you could just listen to forever, vs the best emulations; same with synths.
  • I've never experienced this problem - with any amp, sim, or plugin. I read about it an awful lot, so I'll count myself lucky