Yes, Suhr, I can boogie

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3745
edited October 2021 in Guitar
Morning all,

Any Suhr fans or haters?  I've been offered in trade (sales are hard to come by these days) a Suhr Modern Pro in Bengal Burst which looks nice, ticks a lot of boxes, but I've never played one and I'm not sure what the neck will be like, size-wise.  It's a 'Modern Elliptical', 

I'm a big fan of PRS Wide-Fat/Pattern, so this might be much slimmer or quite different, which might kill it.  It is, I believe, .800"-.850" and the PRS size is .875".  Hard to visualise how that feels, difference-wise.

If anybody has any thoughts on value, with a Suhr hard case, it might make the decision easier!

Apologies for the title.
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited October 2021
    I have Suhr and PRS guitars, the elliptical neck shape is marvellous but it is a bit more ‘shreddy’ that you might be used to.
    Not crazy thin though, like some Ibanez guitars.
    £2000 is usually about right, depends on condition.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    edited October 2021
    I'm a south paw (and I own a Suhr - I had custom made) - south paws get no choice about playing guitars in the flesh... so MIJ Strats, Tokais for Gibsons, Ibanez and Eastman for the rest or custom made are the only logical choices - they're consistent.

I'd really recommend trying this thing - I love my suhr - but I still regret getting jumbo frets and it's a bit heavy... those things are rather subjective on the guitar - If I were you, I'd do my very best to try that guitar  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    ...........BUT YOU NEED A CERTAIN SONG
    I found the necks to be fine on width , eleiptical shape is comfortable but a bit flat on the very back which I actually quite liked
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate Ibanez Wizard-type necks, they're so fatiguing.  So that's a little reassuring.

Weight-wise, I'd presume basswood is light.

Looking at the spec sheet, it doesn't mention fret-size.

Thanks!

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a modern pro with the same neck profile, I love it. Frets are usually Jumbo s/s.

I'd prefer a bengal burst to my reddish one so if you want to swap let me know :)
  • I have a modern pro with the same neck profile, I love it. Frets are usually Jumbo s/s.

I'd prefer a bengal burst to my reddish one so if you want to swap let me know :)
    @Richardrichard Oooh, send me a pic!  I far prefer reds/blues!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11638
    I have a modern pro with the same neck profile, I love it. Frets are usually Jumbo s/s.

@Richardrichard Oooh, send me a pic!  I far prefer reds/blues!
    I love it when a deal comes together :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    I love them. Some of the best guitars I’ve ever played and the necks are very comfortable. Not Ibanez thin but more like a Prs wide thin profile
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    Morning all, Apologies for the title.
    Title's well worth a lol  - made me chuckle :)
  • Stevepage said:
    I love them. Some of the best guitars I’ve ever played and the necks are very comfortable. Not Ibanez thin but more like a Prs wide thin profile
    I'll find out when I get it tonight.  Part of me thinks wide thin is a bit too thin but we'll see.  Might be in the classifieds before long...

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I held off buying a Modern for the same reasons, instead sticking with a Classic S (.810-.930 IIRC) and buying a limited edition Classic S HSS with a neck from .800 1st Fret to .880 at the 12th fret.  This feels like the Fender AM Std Strat up to 2017 neck profile to me (thinner than the Am Pro Strat with the Deeper C neck post 2017).  
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3745
    edited October 2021
    Now in Classifieds!

Lovely satin-finished neck, great tones, but the neck is a wee bit slim for me. I will try and persevere but think it’s unlikely we’ll bond. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've decided to play this some more.  The action is less than 1mm without fretting out, which is impressive - but probably too low for me to really get a feel for it.

With a Gotoh 511, with some relief in the neck, how should I approach raising the string height?  The saddles?  I think the bridge plate is around where it should be (I think around 2mm at the front - might want to loosen the springs a touch, as it angles back fractionally and I think, if like a PRS trem, should be slightly higher at the back.

My band, Red For Dissent