Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?

What's Hot
I don't know..
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15505
    yes

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In my experience, the body does things and the mind retroactively invents a rationale for doing them. If what the body does is a success, the mind takes all the credit, if it's a failure the mind calls the body clumsy and blames it. 

Oddly, science roughly agrees with me, but not using those words. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4548
    edited October 2021
    Vim. I that a yes yes or a no yes and you grangousier you didn't answer my question
    :d
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    The mind rules the body.
    The body sometimes mutinies.
    Hedgin'
    The mind might suggest but the body has the overall say
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24338
    It's probably best to stop thinking of them as separate things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    My body's aged a lot faster than my mind.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    This thread is excellent!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    (I actually didn't mean to write that)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    Why does the mind have to be separate from the body? What about the brain? What about the next most complex neural mass in the body the gut? All these combine to create the body and mind. 
  • DesVegas said:
    I don't know..

And when you want to live
    How do you start?
    Where do you go?
    Who do you need to know?
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Mind controls stuff. Body reacts (most of the time). 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• grangousier you didn't answer my question

OK: The mind thinks it rules the body, but the body actually does whatever it wants and the mind deludes itself into believing it was it's idea. Kind of like Maggie Simpson and the toy steering wheel. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Sometimes the mind rebels and you're fucked.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    The octopus has something like 9 brains, each arm/leg has one and they can all think and act independently. Or something like that.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15505
    edited October 2021
    the mind is part of the body, it doesn't reside somewhere else, you may just as well ask does the heart rule the body or the spleen. Consciousness is a function of biology, a function of the wet stuff, it's not ethereal. It's all just neurons and shit doing their stuff.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    edited October 2021
    the body rules the mind. (end of) - the brain is just another sack of organs (often competing)

stress and anxiety create the fight or flight response that reduces flow of oxygen to the frontal lobes reducing cognition. being too well fed creates the opposite (feed or breed) where sleep is the order of the day.

people suffering from dementia can misplace the memories of entire decades and be psychologically and emotionally reset to past events as if the intervening years never happened - all those defining moments of insight temporarily mislaid.

and all those defining moments of insight were probably created by emotions sealed in place unique chemical mixes to sign-post to memories, that we have no control over reliving when we smell or see or hear the trigger.

the emotional system is always faster than the reasoning mind meaning the reasoning mind is forever putting out fires started by the emotional mind.

and your dearest memories and skills are etched in place by myelination making the neural pathways slicker and faster than the others. leading to cognitive bias.

and the act of habit is rewarded by dopamine that pats you on the head for repeating an action regardless of if it's right or wrong. and your brain is too dumb to differentiate good habits from bad habits or thirst from sugar craving.

but don't worry about that, the brain has a section dedicated to defending your ego - you're own Men In Black - if someone added the post-hypnotic suggestion that on their signal you clucked like a chicken... when asked why you'd clucked, you'd be adamant you hadn't or were clearing your throat etc... every time.

so as I was saying the mind totally rules the brain shaolin monks and transcendental meditation stuff

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    I decree...
    England owes me a living