Boss Katana Head

StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
For years I've loved valve heads. I've had all sorts, Mesa's, Marshall, Peavey, Randall, Laney etc. All great amps and we're all used within bands at some point.

I left the last band I was in a couple of years ago and I can't see myself getting involved in another band anytime soon. I've played metal most of my life but trying to find decent musicians of a similar age is nigh on impossible. I've also thought of joining a cover/function band but due to the pandemic it seems bands looking for a guitarist are few and far between.

So I've been thinking of moving on my 6505+ head. Amazing sounding amp but it's incredibly loud, especially in a 3 bed semi detached house with a neighbor who works from home. 

I can use it for silent recording luckily but I feel it's wasted on me.

I've been looking at maybe getting something like the Boss Katana 100 head. All clips sound great but two questions:

1. Are they as good as I hope for a suitable replacement for my Peavey?
2. Do they sound great at home used quietly and used within a band?

Or am I being stupid and should just keep looking for a band and keep the amp?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I don't want to take it off topic straight away but have you considered something like a Two Notes Captor X and some studio monitors? That way,  you get to keep your amp in case an opportunity comes up and you can also play at neighbour friendly volume even if the amp is cranked.
    I haven't tried the Katana head but I did have a 100 combo for a while and didn't find it particularly satisfying for low level volume even at the low wattage setting. I much preferred my THR10 for low volume convenience which is still my first choice for a quick plug and play solution when i can't be bothered to plug in my other amps.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    The Head is a good solution as you get the little built in speaker for practice without a cab, but can still plug it in a 4x12 if you like.

I've had a 50w combo for years and even though it's SS and even though it goes to 0.5w... it needs a little bit of air moving over the 12" speaker to sound it's best, and that requires a tad more than "TV volume".

The "we hate the Katana" club are a bit noisier than the fans around here these days though, so don't expect a lot of recommendations in this thread...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17601
    tFB Trader
    I had the Katana Combo.

It's fine for what it is, but its not a patch on my DSL 40 even at low volume.

They make a 20w 6505 so I'd suggest that.
  • Yes I'm very happy with my Katana MK1 combo. So I tend not to mention it much. It just works and sounds good. 

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I have both the head and the combo.
    Head has some extra features, midi and stealth speaker, and looks cute.
    Combo is cheaper, and with it's 12 inch speaker doesn't really reveal itself in a home setting, I think the head is worth the extra, but haven't fully exploited it through a 4 x 12, or even a 1 x 12, cos the 5 inch secret one is quite loud enough at half watt setting in my front room.
    Great amps IMO.
  • What the OP is proposing is moving from lovely tube tones to horrid solid state ones, stick with the peavey and buy a good attenuator.