Help me decide on an amp!

ChéChé Frets: 303
Flirting with the idea of a Fillmore 25 from Mesa but came across the Tone King Falcon Grande recently and it's peaked my interest (though I was always aware of them).

The simplicity of the Tone King appeals to me a lot as does the attneuator. Unfortuntely can't try either of these out anywhere at the moment (Peach is still closed for visits) so thought I'd post here to see if anyone has an expreince with them.

I'm playing a DGT and enjoy edge of break up clean that can turn into a lead tone, marshally but prone to the dumble side of things when it comes to lead playing. (I own a Twimble so the Dumble part isn't necessary for the amp)

Cheers everyone!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I have the Tone King Gremlin and have played the Falcon, no Grande version.  The 'blackface' and 'tweed' channels are fantastic and the attenuator works really well, you need to increase the tone as you go increase the attenuation but sounds great driven at low volume.

Haven't considered a speaker swap, and use pedals less and less.  The gremlin saw off a princeton 65 and a silverface champ.  If it had reverb and tremolo it would be the actual perfect home amp.

The 'lead' channel of the falcon wasn't for me at all but I don't use distortion, only fuzz and overdrive so may just be me.
  • ChéChé Frets: 303
    edited October 2021
    munckee said:
    I have the Tone King Gremlin and have played the Falcon, no Grande version.  The 'blackface' and 'tweed' channels are fantastic and the attenuator works really well, you need to increase the tone as you go increase the attenuation but sounds great driven at low volume.

Haven't considered a speaker swap, and use pedals less and less.  The gremlin saw off a princeton 65 and a silverface champ.  If it had reverb and tremolo it would be the actual perfect home amp.

The 'lead' channel of the falcon wasn't for me at all but I don't use distortion, only fuzz and overdrive so may just be me.

Thanks for the insight! How did you find the Lead Channel? Is it boosted version of the Tweed or more of it's own thing? Demos are few and far between and don't really play it in the style I would.

I guess the Imperial would tick a few boxes also, and take place of the Princeton Reverb I was looking at picking up.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    It was @Fuengi s amp who could answer better than me,  it just wasn't as good as the other two channels - which considering they are great may mean it's fine rather than nasty if that makes sense!
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    munckee said:
    It was @Fuengi s amp who could answer better than me,  it just wasn't as good as the other two channels - which considering they are great may mean it's fine rather than nasty if that makes sense!
    I could never understand what the Lead channel was trying to do, it didn't seem to fit in the profile of the other two channels. It was much louder and very noisey, and didn't seem to do anything I liked. The other two channels were great though.