My wife won’t allow a Gibson Explorer or Flying V in the house…

What's Hot
2»

Comments

•  My wife wants a Rickenbacker 12 to go with her Yamaha SA50, Moon Octave mandolin Yamaha Silent guitar, banjo, hammered dulcimer and Freshman acoustic . You think I’ve got GAS!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My wife doesn't like what she calls "pointy guitars", which includes all Vs, Explorers, and also a fair few that I don't think of as pointy, like Firebirds, the Hagstrom ghost model... but she'd never stop me from having one if I wanted it. I may well end up with another Jackson Kelly at some point, much to her disgust (she literally can't see a picture of one without saying "urgh") :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    My Gibson Flying V has been the guitar of choice for 12 years now. I’m not sure what it says about me, but frankly, I don’t really care. Les Pauls and Strats are so passé.
    they play lovely but can you sit down to play comfortably ?
  • My Gibson Flying V has been the guitar of choice for 12 years now. I’m not sure what it says about me
    Rocker! 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Dominic said:
    My Gibson Flying V has been the guitar of choice for 12 years now. I’m not sure what it says about me, but frankly, I don’t really care. Les Pauls and Strats are so passé.
    I can
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Cirrus said:
    As always, lumping Flying Vs and Explorers together is insanity. Explorers are a beautiful '50s American angular design, sadly hijacked by metal players.

Flying Vs are disgusting, like a gardening implement gone awry or a massive fly with two bums instead of a head.
    You're weird.  No offence.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
    I think it is because she lets me hang them everywhere..  and there will be more in her library next.  

She is actually pretty engaged with it all… knows all the gibsons, fenders and eggles by model type and has two guitars of her own.

I suspect her taste and insights are better than mine.  
    Oh come now Strat old chap - there cant be anybody in the world outside those of us on guitar forums who even knows what an Eggle is, never mind a mere ..woman  :) 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Philly_Q said:
    Cirrus said:
    As always, lumping Flying Vs and Explorers together is insanity. Explorers are a beautiful '50s American angular design, sadly hijacked by metal players.

Flying Vs are disgusting, like a gardening implement gone awry or a massive fly with two bums instead of a head.
    You're weird.  No offence.
    Thanks!  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Dominic said:

Yes, absolutely I can, Dominic. Upper thigh fits in the crook of the V. Most comfortable guitar I’ve owned, and I’m not kidding around for once. And the neck suits me perfectly, too.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    My Gibson Flying V has been the guitar of choice for 12 years now. I’m not sure what it says about me
    Fat, balding, ageing Rocker! 

FTFY.

• AK99 said:
    I think it is because she lets me hang them everywhere..  and there will be more in her library next.  

She is actually pretty engaged with it all… knows all the gibsons, fenders and eggles by model type and has two guitars of her own.

I suspect her taste and insights are better than mine.  
    Oh come now Strat old chap - there cant be anybody in the world outside those of us on guitar forums who even knows what an Eggle is, never mind a mere ..woman  :) 
    She thinks the word ‘eggle’ is funny.  
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
    She's right. Try telling somebody you're going off for a quick noodle on your eggle with a straight face..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3599
    edited October 2021
     My wife wants a Rickenbacker 12 to go with her Yamaha SA50, Moon Octave mandolin Yamaha Silent guitar, banjo, hammered dulcimer and Freshman acoustic . You think I’ve got GAS!
    I think you’ve got a keeper! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    fob said:
    Can't you just keep them all in your wing of the house?
    I do.. and the staircases and the clock tower and the orangery
    So, it was you who bought Harry Seven's previous mansion.  ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    edited October 2021
    MrsICBM has strong opinions on some guitars but I don’t think she’d ever say I couldn’t have one. It wouldn’t work anyway, since she doesn’t like Rickenbacker basses, and that’s completely non-negotiable for me.

She did roll her eyes a lot when I was borrowing an Ibanez RG from a friend and talking about buying one... but if I really want one, I’ll get one. Or a Jem .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MikeCMikeC Frets: 448
    Flying V's are fine here - my wife likes my Antoria rocket roll - she says it's a nice bit of furniture. She's very fond of the colour and look of tweed amps too. A keeper. 
  • I think the Explorer is a great, iconic shape.   I loved the Ibanez Destroyer as a kid too.   
    The Destroyers are nice and I don't like Explorer style much. The Rocket Roll II RR550 in orange burst is my dream guitar though, even though I'd look ridiculous using it. 
    Maximum volume yields maximum results
  • ICBM said:
    MrsICBM has strong opinions on some guitars but I don’t think she’d ever say I couldn’t have one. It wouldn’t work anyway, since she doesn’t like Rickenbacker basses, and that’s completely non-negotiable for me.

She did roll her eyes a lot when I was borrowing an Ibanez RG from a friend and talking about buying one... but if I really want one, I’ll get one. Or a Jem .
    I have got an RG and S in.. but they have really pretty quilting / stripes and a nice ruby stain.

Deep down I know she is right… She knows I’d just embarrass myself gigging a V or an Explorer.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    SUNBATHER said:
    I think the Explorer is a great, iconic shape.   I loved the Ibanez Destroyer as a kid too.   
    The Destroyers are nice and I don't like Explorer style much. The Rocket Roll II RR550 in orange burst is my dream guitar though, even though I'd look ridiculous using it. 
    The sunburst Rocket Roll II looked amazing, I have a saved eBay search for one of those although I'd never actually buy one.  The Destroyer was cool too.