Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Noise' solos?

What's Hot

Comments

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3985
    ah I see that timestamps aren't preserved, it's at 2:20 but the effect is massively increased by listening to the whole song anyway
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    ewal said:
    Not sure if this is quite what you are meaning, however for me this has the classic one note 'solo'. It also has a classic alternative rock riff, as most Swervedriver songs do.

Oh yes, that's totally what I mean, both guitars using that one note repeatedly over the bass riff, creating a wall of noise, is so effective. I adore this song and the album by the way, 
    Great band. We did a song in my last band that almost religiously ripped off the Never Lose That Feeling solo - might dig it out and share for the lols.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I was going to say Nels Cline, Tom Morello etc...in Utero is also my favourite Nirvana album for this very reason (and the Steve Albini production which suits it perfectly). 

Nick Reinhart is also a good shout - from his work in Tera Melos, Disheveled Cuss and his collaboration with Nels Cline (among others) in Big Walnuts Yonder. 

Fugazi as well, especially as they evolved more in an art/noise rock band. 

Also check out And So I Watch You From Afar, particularly their debut album. Sonic Youth as well, obviously. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Loobs said:
    Or maybe Graham Coxon on Coffee & TV by Blur? 

I was going to suggest that one.

Apparently it was a one take placeholder to show that there should be something instrumental there, but not to imply what it should be, but the band loved it and insisted it stayed in,
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    joetele said:
    I was going to say Nels Cline,  Tom Morello etc...in Utero is also my favourite Nirvana album for this very reason (and the Steve Albini production which suits it perfectly). 

Nick Reinhart is also a good shout - from his work in Tera Melos, Disheveled Cuss and his collaboration with Nels Cline (among others) in Big Walnuts Yonder. 

Fugazi as well, especially as they evolved more in an art/noise rock band. 

Also check out And So I Watch You From Afar, particularly their debut album. Sonic Youth as well, obviously. 

Nels... yes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re70g74ORpE
  • ‘Noise’ used to be my go-to technique for solos, very much in a Graham coxon vein. Trouble is it’s hard to nail every time (for us mere mortals). During a recording session after a failed attempt at ‘good’ noise the singer just pulled a face and said “I think you’d better go write something for that”. It was a fair point and I learned something that day. 
  • no mention of j mascis yet. so j mascis.
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Mascis isn't noise, IMO. Just way too much pentatonic widdling. Can't bear his playing tbh. 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Pretty much any solo Trey Azagthoth has ever done, but as an example - 2:20 in this vid

• To be fair, on early Dinosaur Jr, J did have a more 'noise' style in a few songs, check out the end of Tarpit.
    When I saw Dinosaur Jr about five years ago, I don't know what song it was, but he played a scorching, face-melting noise fest solo for a good few minutes, it was utterly incredible.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    The peerless Alan Sparhawk from Low gets my vote. Hard to pin down one song to illustrate my point, but you might enjoy this:

https://youtu.be/cvflQMtFUSU
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22785
    Interesting thread, and thanks for kicking off with Helmet, I'm a fan (although I haven't kept up with anything recent).

I guess a lot of Vernon Reid's solos could fall into this category?

And anything by Kerry King.
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 121
    I came here to suggest After the Flood by Talk Talk, lots of Nels Cline's solos and also Alan Sparhawk of Low, but the three wise men @joetele , @thermionic and @markv beat me to it! 

On a separate note, I've got tickets to see Low next year and I'm intrigued as to how they'll replicate their recent material live.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Can't believe I forgot "You Made Me Realise" by My Bloody Valentine (1:40-2:20):

Perhaps you might class it as an instrumental break more than a solo. Still fantastic though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    prlgmnr said:
    A classic of the genre:

I was going to mention this song too. 

The solo is a beautiful sore thumb in a great composition.
  • Slayer's solos are generally an awful noise.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    How abuot Ira Kaplan from Yo La Tengo? He manages to fit amazing noise-influenced stuff into beautiful off-kilter pop. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Interesting thread, and thanks for kicking off with Helmet, I'm a fan (although I haven't kept up with anything recent).

I guess a lot of Vernon Reid's solos could fall into this category?

And anything by Kerry King.
    I was going to suggest anything Vernon Reid, too. I think he particularly quotes ornette coleman as an influence for his solos, sheets of sound style.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Loobs said:
    How about Robert Quine's lead playing on Blank Generation (track and whole album) by Richard Hell & The Voidoids?

+1 for that!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Not exactly noise, but I’ve always liked the solo on this...

https://youtu.be/ukz_T9HFLJU

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/