Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Noise' solos?

What's Hot

Comments

• Slayer's solos are generally an awful noise.
    haha, was going to say Kerry King! Yep, they always remind me of a young fella learning how to play lead guitar, or learning how to shred, is kind of half way there, but figures out how to use a whammy bar and shitloads of distortion to make it sound really cool. Still, it worked for Slayer, and was part of their sound, so more power to them!
    I'm not very familiar with Slayer but I remember reading an interview with him years ago in which he said his approach to solos was pretty much just making random noise, I was never quite sure whether he meant it or not. 
    He meant it - I played in a Slayer cover band and can tell you that a lot of Slayer 'solos' are based off the exact same fretboard run, with varying amounts of random whammy action thrown in  - not exactly musical , but thats the point. I love Slayer

When I got into metal and the Big Four, I wanted to like Slayer but the solos were so unrefined, messy, chaotic that they just made no sense. Now, I realise, it’s precisely the point - refined, thought-out Friedman-like solos wouldn’t fit and would dilute the raw unbridled aggression and madness that their lyrics usually convey. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    I almost forgot about Oxes - a band I saw at All Tomorrows Parties 'Nightmare Before Christmas' festival - whose two albums (and EP and others) are great. They were fantastic live. Here's their Peel Session: 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Pabcrane said:
    Terror Couple Kill Colonel by Bauhaus.
    That sounds like the warp feature off a Boss DD pedal but very probably isn't? 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    Information Overload by Living Colour

The intro is an Eventide Harmoniser running through demo mode and the solo is mental perfection for me...

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Loobs said:
    Officially the best thread on tfb this year. 
    Yes, good work all, so many excellent examples posted (would make a great playlist). Keep 'em coming!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    edited October 2021
    Yeah, Johnny Greenwood does some pretty noisy stuff in earlier Radiohead. I'm thinking OK Computer in particular, Airbag/Paranoid Android both have some noisy stuff in them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lFkpLB_KzE

What about this? It won't imbed the video for some reason. 
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    edited October 2021
    Pabcrane said:

It come out in the very early eighties - so probably not!

But maybe it's what Boss had in mind when they came up with it?
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    I also guess that around 85% of Blixa Bargeld's instrumental breaks could be included in this.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Pabcrane said:
    Pabcrane said:

It come out in the very early eighties - so probably not!

But maybe it's what Boss had in mind when they came up with it?
    It is that kind of sound, I guess it was quite severe manipulation of whatever delay he had at the time. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • markarkarkmarkarkark Frets: 139
    edited October 2021
    joetele said:
    I almost forgot about Oxes - a band I saw at All Tomorrows Parties 'Nightmare Before Christmas' festival - whose two albums (and EP and others) are great. They were fantastic live. Here's their Peel Session: 

Brilliant band! Saw them play an absolute blinder here in Oxford once, and I'm pretty sure they only had a tour date here because they thought it would be funny to play in a city with 'Ox' in the name.

If I recall correctly, the debut album was called 'Oxes', the second was called 'Oxxxes', and the last EP was called 'Oxes'.
    edited October 2021
    Blixa on From Her To Eternity by the NC & The Bad Seeds is fucking awesome. Might not be guitar though... I was blown away when I first heard that. And obviously so much on the (earlier) Einstürzende Neubauten stuff. 
    edited October 2021
    For newer stuff, Metz has a lot of very atonal/noisy guitar playing going on. Great band. Solo on this one:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    And can I just say this thread makes me happy. I thought everyone here mostly listened to Clapton and Joe Bonamassa. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730
    Loobs said:
    And can I just say this thread makes me happy. I thought everyone here mostly listened to Clapton and Joe Bonamassa. 
    Yikes!
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 948
    joetele said:

Brilliant band! Saw them play an absolute blinder here in Oxford once, and I'm pretty sure they only had a tour date here because they thought it would be funny to play in a city with 'Ox' in the name.

If I recall correctly, the debut album was called 'Oxes', the second was called 'Oxxxes', and the last EP was called 'Oxes'.
    Yep, I've got the two albums and I'm awaiting the EP - they were a bit mischievous at times, releasing a split EP with another band which didn't actually feature the other band - Oxes played all of those songs too. 

Also I discovered El Shirota via this video last week: 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • I went through a phase of Dream pop, shoegazing and bought some weird pedals that made some unfathomable noises. I saw this pedal on Youtube  that a guy had made and it made the most bat shit crazy noises. Before ThorpyFX launched his own range of pedals I sent him the wiring diagram and asked him to make me one, He said it was the last custom build he was ever doing before launching his own line of pedals. 
    He sent me the pedals and a note saying 'I made it, when I made it I tried it and thought I'd built it broken' 
    I was like - no that's how it's supposed to sound. It has some very interesting hand written instructions from him on how to use it!! I kindda feel bad that was one of the last pedals he made before going professional. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    Loobs said:

Seeing as how JB will do anything for money we should club together to get him to record a noise rock covers album. All played on a jagstang. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11559
    Neil Young when in wig-out mode with Crazy Horse is pretty noisy.  A lot of Carlos Alomar's stuff with Bowie fits the bill as well.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1325
    Andy Summers in The Police's Bring On the Night.
    It's just ... perfect...
    and contrasts so well with the busy arpeggios of the rest of the song.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...