Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Noise' solos?

What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    edited October 2021
    Anybody mentioned Jeff Tweedys two face melters on "Im the man who loves you"

And Lou's multi-tracked solo on the VU's "What Goes On?" Bit less noise but just as cool.

And Guitar Slim from 1954!!! 
    Talk about ahead of his time, such a unique player. Not many dirty tones on record back then. Listen to an amp scream for mercy around 1.45.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3524
    A big plus one for Helmet"s TWENTY NINE YEAR OLD album. 

Jeez. Where did the time go? And twenty four years since Jeff Buckley died. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    @Loobs love Metz! Blind Youth Industrial Park is awesome.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2580
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned Bob Mould yet. His solo on Sugar - Tilted is a favourite of mine, however there has to be something from Zen Arcade era that's more in keeping with the theme of the thread.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    soma1975 said:
    Loobs said:
    And can I just say this thread makes me happy. I thought everyone here mostly listened to Clapton and Joe Bonamassa. 

Seeing as how JB will do anything for money we should club together to get him to record a noise rock covers album. All played on a jagstang. 
    That might push me over the edge. 
    edited October 2021
    err yea this thread isn't complete without something from VU White Light, White Heat...so I'll post it:

youtube.com/watch?v=53F5nY68cBM

Anybody mentioned Jeff Tweedys two face melters on "Im the man who loves you"

And Lou's multi-tracked solo on the VU's "What Goes On?" Bit less noise but just as cool.

And Guitar Slim from 1954!!! 
    Talk about ahead of his time, such a unique player. Not many dirty tones on record back then. Listen to an amp scream for mercy around 1.45.

Three great shouts. As much as I love Nels Cline I think Wilco pre-Nels was a much more interesting band. It's all a bit MOR now. 
    edited October 2021
    Some excellent lesser-known Nels Cline noise when he played w/ The Geraldine Fibbers, great 'noise' solo on this and the outro is wicked too. 

•  Nice thread !

For me, the noise assault needs to be underpinned with melody, and Steve Albini just gets it right - especially on his Rapeman LP.

Next up would be Spacemen 3, who managed to nail that eternal Stooges riff down into a more simplistic drone.

And another vote for Andy Gill.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    CaseOfAce said:
    Andy Summers in The Police's Bring On the Night.
    It's just ... perfect...
    and contrasts so well with the busy arpeggios of the rest of the song.
    I'd forgotten about that! And it reminds me of another excellent Andy Summers solo, on "Driven To Tears" by The Police. Discordant rather than noisy, and very short, but great nonetheless - 1:34-1:52

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I think I’d mentioned Boys Keep Swinging earlier but I’ve had a listen for the first time in years. It’s a bit like a song from a camp musical with a guitar part that has atonality and noise. How that all fits together is such a piece of creativity. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    ewal said:
    Not sure if this is quite what you are meaning, however for me this has the classic one note 'solo'. It also has a classic alternative rock riff, as most Swervedriver songs do.

Oh yes, that's totally what I mean, both guitars using that one note repeatedly over the bass riff, creating a wall of noise, is so effective. I adore this song and the album by the way, 
    This reminds me of the solo in All my life by the foos...

2.40 here

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Tangerine Dream "Journey through a burning brain" 
  • Loobs said:
    How abuot Ira Kaplan from Yo La Tengo? He manages to fit amazing noise-influenced stuff into beautiful off-kilter pop. 

Fuck yeah

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Great thread. This is probably my favourite Swervedrive song & one of my all time faves. For some reason it seems only to have been on the B Side of Sandblasted

Need to shift & do less interesting things, but will try to revisit & add more later.

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    Arcana - "The Last Wave".

Derek Bailey, Tony Williams and Bill Laswell who was also in Material.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8687
    It’s time someone mentioned Adrian Belew
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    It’s time someone mentioned Adrian Belew
    I think I’d mentioned Boys Keep Swinging earlier but I’ve had a listen for the first time in years. It’s a bit like a song from a camp musical with a guitar part that has atonality and noise. How that all fits together is such a piece of creativity. 

You had to read between the lines but there he was. 
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    edited November 2021

Should mention that Gemma Thomson with Savages is the new Roland Howard> Now even has the white Jaguar. I think her sound is better a lot of the time & if influenced, not derivative.

• @historyisjunk assuming those are supposed to be YouTube links you’ll need to repost. 

Yeh, I loved a bit of Savages. Very, very post punk they’d obviously listened to a lot of Joy Division and Bauhaus but not just a rehash.