When the guy who builds a guitar doesn't play guitars

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11617
    Yep.  Good luck with those knobs.  Wouldn't put a guitar on those hangers either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Leo Fender did quite well though…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • Adolph Rickenbacker didn't do too badly...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    ICBM said:
    came here to post this
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    ICBM said:
    exactly this.

I've spent more time building than playing them over the last 20 years.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you got the knobs just a tiny bit closer, you could turn one up and one down at the same time...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14216
    edited October 2021 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Adolph Rickenbacker didn't do too badly...
    beat me to it

and Jim Marshall was a drummer - Not even an amp designer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    Of course, the control knobs are ridiculous. Leo Fender was very proactive in getting feedback from guitar players, knowing full well he needed their input. I guess the builder of the guitar pictured didn't bother. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22775
    I would guess most guitar builders play a bit, because that's what got them interested in the first place, but I suspect few are monster players.  But I'm sure there are exceptions, both non-players and virtuosos.
  • I wonder if the volume and tone for one pickup are vertically aligned... then you'd dial in volume with your thumb and tone with your little finger.. no need to move your hand.

I'm not saying I like it, but given the number of electric guitar innovations in the last 60 years aren't considerable... I'd rather someone took a gamble and made the "crazy" so curious people can try it with their hands,

Leave it to the marketing departments to make a mock-up and invite us all to  and decided for all the other spectators that it's a bad idea. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    I did wonder if they were like that on purpose so you can roll both volumes or tones (assuming a Gibson layout) at the same time with the side of your hand, thus curing the main annoyance I have with any four-control guitar - the inability to quickly turn the whole guitar up or down with one movement - but I suspect the degree of accuracy between both knobs wouldn't be good enough for it to work well in practice. There still isn't enough space between the volumes and tones either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    edited October 2021
    Looks like Chumlee bought it in for Pawn Stars - direct from C-3PO
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    I did wonder if they were like that on purpose so you can roll both volumes or tones (assuming a Gibson layout) at the same time with the side of your hand, thus curing the main annoyance I have with any four-control guitar - the inability to quickly turn the whole guitar up or down with one movement - but I suspect the degree of accuracy between both knobs wouldn't be good enough for it to work well in practice. There still isn't enough space between the volumes and tones either.
    I reckon an elastic band between each pair would do the trick…
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    The Limited Edition badge is not central at all.. too far to the right.. that would really set me off :/ 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    skunkwerx said:
    The Limited Edition badge is not central at all.. too far to the right.. that would really set me off :/ 
    I suspect that it is probably hiding the gap between the Tele heel and a Strat pocket.

If I correct about this, the intonation could be way out.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    My friend makes lutes ,so could be considered a luthier proper .His last one sold for a couple of grand but he ony plays bass guitar .He said his customers knew if they were any good.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    I can kind of see a danger in the opposite case, where a luthier plays guitar, rightly or wrongly fancies themselves as being Pretty Damned Good, expects everyone to do things the way they do and filters everything through their own perception of how a guitar should work resulting in clever things which work for them but are an utter nightmare for anyone else…

Regarding the guitar in the picture, I wonder if that control placement is the result of trying to fit four small pots into a cavity meant for two large ones…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    The 2 best Luthiers I know don't play but they are also violin and cello makers and don't play those either
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Has anybody mentioned Leo Fender and Adolph Rickenbacker yet?

(only kidding!) :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It does say limited edition on the guitar, which is good news
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom