Rivolta Regata (wonky Trini Lopez!)

What's Hot
Quite like the look of this. I love a 335. I like an offset. Why not get 2 for the price of 1?!

Not sure about the 24 frets, looks a bit incongruous. Though I rarely go beyond the 17th fret anyway, so anything higher than that is largely moot for me anyway.

https://guitar.com/review/electric-guitar/the-big-review-rivolta-regata-vii/

Anyone else tempted? I sense it could be a bit if a 'marmite' design, but I like it...
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like it. It’s a few notes more than the very similar FANO OMNIS GF6. I wonder how they compare. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I’ve been really impressed with Rivoltas guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks good to me - I've watched a few demos with that fella and hes a fantastic player which definitely helps
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5732
    Rivolata get good credibility being designed and overseen by Denis Fano, then I think they loose some being built by Eastwood. I've played three now and they are definitely a real quality item, play very well and the build is faultless. So if you can get past the shipped out for economic build bit, they're fabulous guitars.
  • I like it. It’s a few notes more than the very similar FANO OMNIS GF6. I wonder how they compare. 
    True. From what I can tell, the Fano seems more 'Fenderish' in construction - alder body with hollowed out wings and a bolt-on neck - and the Rivolta is more 'Gibsonesque' with a mahogany set neck, centre block and sides, and  laminated maple back and sides.

Plus the Rivolta is Korean made whereas the Fano is Chinese, if you're the sort of person that's bothered about things like that.
  • I’m going round in circles at the minute with what I’d like next, but a Rivolta is high on that list. @dazzajl…you had a Mondata if I remember correctly? How did you find it…still got it?
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5732
    Hi @markslade07 ;

I have the Mondata XVIII and the Baritone and they’re both fabulous. Takes quite a lot for me to like a gloss necked guitar but both play so well, they’re forgiven for not being satin wood. 
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    I like it. It’s a few notes more than the very similar FANO OMNIS GF6. I wonder how they compare. 
    True. From what I can tell, the Fano seems more 'Fenderish' in construction - alder body with hollowed out wings and a bolt-on neck - and the Rivolta is more 'Gibsonesque' with a mahogany set neck, centre block and sides, and  laminated maple back and sides.

Plus the Rivolta is Korean made whereas the Fano is Chinese, if you're the sort of person that's bothered about things like that.

Fano guitars are Chinese? I don't think so. Dennis is originally from here in New Jersey and he's now in California, making his guitars there, I'm quite sure. I reviewed one of his solidbodies in Vintage Guitar last year and it had a price tag around $2795, certainly not Chinese priced. 

I like the way the guitar in the video looks, but it sounds pretty dark to me, but if the OP likes it, more power to him. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 461

Fano guitars are Chinese? I don't think so. Dennis is originally from here in New Jersey and he's now in California, making his guitars there, I'm quite sure. I reviewed one of his solidbodies in Vintage Guitar last year and it had a price tag around $2795, certainly not Chinese priced. 

I like the way the guitar in the video looks, but it sounds pretty dark to me, but if the OP likes it, more power to him. 
    Thought Dennis Fano was running Novo ?
    Dennis is running Novo. I made a mistake when I said I reviewed a Fano. I actually reviewed a Novo guitar and dealt with Dennis personally, but Fano guitars are built in Arizona. I guess Dennis legally lost the use of his name. This is directly from Fano's website:

We have incorporated our collective decades of musical instrument manufacturing experience to provide our customers a one-of-a-kind guitar that is hand-built here in Arizona. We approach every instrument in a manner reminiscent of the age of wood-workers and craftsmen of years gone by, while implementing the modern-day methodologies and techniques necessary to ensure we deliver a product that exceeds the expectations of today’s discerning guitar player. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Every guitar that RJ plays I want.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    I love RJ's videos. He just plays great; no stupid dialogue, no nonsense, no infantile behavior, no dumb jokes. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Rivolting
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    The Fano omnis are Chinese made but the rest of their range is Arizona. Novo are Nashville I think with their Rivolta range coming from Korea. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    DrumBob said:
    Dennis is running Novo. I made a mistake when I said I reviewed a Fano. I actually reviewed a Novo guitar and dealt with Dennis personally, but Fano guitars are built in Arizona. I guess Dennis legally lost the use of his name. This is directly from Fano's website:

We have incorporated our collective decades of musical instrument manufacturing experience to provide our customers a one-of-a-kind guitar that is hand-built here in Arizona. We approach every instrument in a manner reminiscent of the age of wood-workers and craftsmen of years gone by, while implementing the modern-day methodologies and techniques necessary to ensure we deliver a product that exceeds the expectations of today’s discerning guitar player. 
    I'm pretty sure that Dennis sold the Fano company fair and square and then started Novo. I find it odd that they're in Arizona - only last week I read an article with Dennis about how he moved to Tennessee.

Great guitars though, my friend recently got a Serus and it's brilliant.

The Rivolta in the OP looks pretty cool too.
  • DrumBob said:

I was replying in relation to the Omnis series of Fano guitars, which are made in China under the Fano brand name.
  • BoltersBolters Frets: 41
    Not into those fretboard markers at all. 

Other than that it’s a cool looking guitar. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    dazzajl said:
    Hi @markslade07 ;

I have the Mondata XVIII and the Baritone and they’re both fabulous. Takes quite a lot for me to like a gloss necked guitar but both play so well, they’re forgiven for not being satin wood. 
    I also have a Mondata XVIII. It’s excellent. Rocks too!  I’ve modded the Bigsby with a BricksBigsFix Tuning Stabiliser, and will fit a 10” arm this weekend. Neck is fab, I normally like a fat neck, this one isn’t, it’s wide and flattish (maybe 12” radius) but got nice shoulders in it. Very comfortable. Great range of tones too
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    DrumBob said:
    I like it. It’s a few notes more than the very similar FANO OMNIS GF6. I wonder how they compare. 

Dennis is no longer with Fano, he runs Rivolta.

The Fano Omnis range are built in China.