Heating not working what to check?

What's Hot
droflufdrofluf Frets: 3686
Boiler is OK a as I have hot water and heated towel rails in bathrooms but it won’t fire up for the heating timer. 

We’ve got TRVs on all radiators but they’ve not been touched, I’ve turned the room thermostat in the hall up to full and get a click at about 20 degrees. I’ve turned it on and off and cycled through the programs on the timer. 

Anything obvious I can try?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 684
    edited October 2021
    Have you bled the rads ?

Edit: you did ask for obvious ;)
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    drofluf said:
    Boiler is OK a as I have hot water and heated towel rails in bathrooms but it won’t fire up for the heating timer. 

We’ve got TRVs on all radiators but they’ve not been touched, I’ve turned the room thermostat in the hall up to full and get a click at about 20 degrees. I’ve turned it on and off and cycled through the programs on the timer. 

Anything obvious I can try?
    Check when you turn the stat on the light on the boiler goes on and off ....the heating light ...it will prove the stat is working 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Sometimes that happens if the heating hasn't been on for a while and the valve has stuck. Giving it a tap with a hammer sometimes works (gently)
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited October 2021
    Has the heater timer broken or has it run out of batteries so can't talk to the boiler? We just bought a new (old) house and the heating and hot water work but the ancient timing clock is busted. The towel radiator was working as it's plumbed to the hot water rather than the central heating.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3686
    maharg101 said:
    Have you bled the rads ?

Edit: you did ask for obvious ;)
    :)

no suggestion too obvious :)

Just checked the highest ones and they’re fine. Would need to move furniture to check the downstairs ones but as it was working fine earlier I don’t think it’s that.  But thanks for the thought. 
    Sometimes that happens if the heating hasn't been on for a while and the valve has stuck. Giving it a tap with a hammer sometimes works (gently)
    Thanks, heating was working recently but the valve was my first thought. But where is it likely to be? And I realise that’s an impossible question to ask online :)
    Has the heater timer broken or has it run out of batteries so can't talk to the boiler? We just bought a new (old) house and the heating and hot water work but the ancient timing clock is busted. The towel radiator was working as it's plumbed to the hot water rather than the central heating.
    Timer is ok, I replaced it a few months ago following advice I got here. It’s also working for  the hot water - I can see the boiler fire up and it goes off if I turn off hot water whilst the boiler is “on” according to the timer
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    We've had this a few times and it's always been the diverter valve which gets stuck when it's not being used. Check your manual to find out which one it is then usually just giving the tap/screw a wiggle seems to do the trick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1498
    TTBZ said:
    We've had this a few times and it's always been the diverter valve which gets stuck when it's not being used. Check your manual to find out which one it is then usually just giving the tap/screw a wiggle seems to do the trick.
    I was going to suggest this too. Ours has got stuck too this year. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    edited October 2021
    So first obvious question : combi boiler or conventional system with a hot water tank? Second: are all the rads cold? If it’s the latter and it’s a conventional system, then it’s usually a fault on the three port valve.  (It’s in the feed pipework from the boiler and has usually got a square silver box on the top and wired up to the mains). It’ll have hot water from the boiler coming in through one leg, then it directs the water off to the radiators, the hot water tank, or both, depending on what the thermostats are calling for. 

So, turn the room thermostat up till it clicks on and then see if the pipework going to the rads out from the 3 port gets hot. Sometimes the valve sticks in place but what often happens is the synchronous motor inside (that moves the valve) packs up. It’s a fairly simple job to replace, just make sure you’ve turned off the power to the system. Screwfix sell one for £20 ish that fits most valves. Oh, almost forgot, you’ll need a torx bit to undo the motor screws.   ;)
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    How old is your system? Hot Water + Bathroom Radiator was a common configuration in older "Gravity Fed" systems. If this applies to your system - the pump isn't working as its the pump that circulates hit water to the rads other than bathroom.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    ...into a hotel
    tae be or not tae be
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is the boiler/water pressure at the correct level?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    boogieman said:
    So first obvious question : combi boiler or conventional system with a hot water tank? Second: are all the rads cold? If it’s the latter and it’s a conventional system, then it’s usually a fault on the three port valve.  (It’s in the feed pipework from the boiler and has usually got a square silver box on the top and wired up to the mains). It’ll have hot water from the boiler coming in through one leg, then it directs the water off to the radiators, the hot water tank, or both, depending on what the thermostats are calling for. 

So, turn the room thermostat up till it clicks on and then see if the pipework going to the rads out from the 3 port gets hot. Sometimes the valve sticks in place but what often happens is the synchronous motor inside (that moves the valve) packs up. It’s a fairly simple job to replace, just make sure you’ve turned off the power to the system. Screwfix sell one for £20 ish that fits most valves. Oh, almost forgot, you’ll need a torx bit to undo the motor screws.   ;)
    exocet said:
    How old is your system? Hot Water + Bathroom Radiator was a common configuration in older "Gravity Fed" systems. If this applies to your system - the pump isn't working as its the pump that circulates hit water to the rads other than bathroom.

Both spot on.......as Boogie says ;what type of system 
    Check the zone valve(s) first if it's a conventional system ......they can stick but you can often push them over manually if you already have a cylinder of hot water.........check pipe to valve.......if no joy
    as exocet says .......the central heating pump may have stuck while not in use (that where all the shit in the system sits and corrodes the impellors )
    Boiler water pressure in a combi system or lack of will have cut the thermostatic cut-out off ages ago and you wouldn't have hot water so it's not that and it wont be an airlock either
    pump or Zone valve failing that programmer failure but you can check with override
    Thanks, it’s a conventional boiler, I’ll see if I can locate the valve in the morning. 
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    Check the actuator itself as well that turns the hot water/central heating valve. In our old house ours used to fail about every five years and cost about £60 for a new one. It would have been taken apart and checked if it wasn't for the pressure being applied to get the house warm again.
    edited October 2021
    drofluf said:
    Thanks, it’s a conventional boiler, I’ll see if I can locate the valve in the morning. 
    The valve (or valves - sometimes you have 2) is normally close to boiler, normally connected to the larger / fatter  pipes coming from boiler and will have "mains cable" style wiring.
    The timer connects to the valves and the valves connect to the boiler via a junction box. 

The valve(s) normally have a silver metal cover where the wiring goes in. It's actually the valve that switches the boiler on - the timer drives the valve actuator - if it's working, it opens the valve and closes another set of switch contacts that causes boiler to fire. However, if the actuator (or solonoid) has failed (they do), the boiler won't fire up. As you have hot water, I'd say that you will have 2 valves (one for Hot Water and one for Radiators)....or...

If its an older gravity fed system, there are no powered valves. The timer fires the boiler which heats water. Hot water rises causing circulation in the heating coil contained in hot water tank that is normally located in the room directly above the boiler. It's common for a bathroom radiator to be included in same circuit. For heating, the timer fires the boiler AND turns the pump on to feed the radiators. 

With this sort of system, you can have Hot Water OR Heating and Hot Water. You can't have heating without Hot Water. Pump failures are very common because for 6 months of the year, the pump is sitting in sludgy water without turning because the heating is not used. Come winter, the pump has ceased up and radiators fail to warm up.
    Ok I took the cover off. Which is probably the limit of my technical ability :)

Not sure where I should be looking for the valves?

It’s a Worcester Greenstar ri. About 5 years old, can’t be more specific as it was fitted by the previous owners. 

There are two fat pipes that come out of the bottom and then loop behind to disappear upstairs. This would suggest 2 valves I think?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    2-way valve for the heating circuit goosed. Or rather the synchron motor that moves it. I’ve changed loads of these and the symptoms are as you describe. You should have an override lever on it so you can see if it’s working as well as latching it open.

edited October 2021
    Where do the pipes that emerge from the top of the boiler go? Find your hot water tank - I suspect you'll find the motorised valves there. You have a new system so it won't be gravity fed / there will be valves that are part of electrical circuit for starting the boiler. As Chillidoggy says above, the valves will have override levers that you will be able to move. If timer / room stat is calling for heat when you move the lever - it should cause boiler to fire up / pump to run.