eart guitars,are they any good?

What's Hot
racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 996
edited October 2021 in Guitar
just browsing the amazon guitars and this caught my eye  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08L4F345D/ref=twister_B08FR2TX1W?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

they look pretty cool (well i think so anyhoo) and it's £309.00 inc delivery.

anyone tried an eart guitar? 

have never heard of them before i have to admit.

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    @racefaceec90  these the same as you are looking at (prices will have altered...)?
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2867420/#Comment_2867420
  • I think someone on here has one and was really impressed with it.

I read a thread fairly recently on (I think) sevenstring.org too, where someone had bought one and couldn't believe how much guitar it was for the price
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• ah thanks for the link Kittyfrisk.

they do look very nice guitars for the money.

i am tempted to order one of the headless guitars that i linked now in the next few weeks (am not a shred guitarist i must add,just want to try a headless guitar tbh as they seem very comfy to play,especially this model).
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Sceptical of a headless guitar bridge that needs a special tool to tune, even if it clips into the bridge. You will lose it, and then have to carry a hex key in your pocket for tuning between songs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    That eart my eyes! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SiejenSiejen Frets: 33
    I have the headless one in earlier strandberg shape. It has good and bad points, but is well with the asking (for me). 
    Plus points; The neck shape, board and frets are amazing. It’s a good fast modern shape. Ball ends at the headstock works well. The body itself is well cut and back and sides are well finished. The neck fits well, is well aligned to the bridge. There’s no warping and it holds tune ok. Action can go nice and low so it feels really fast. 
    Bad points; I wish they hadn’t bothered with the paper thin veneer on top. Where the knots are the wood disappears and you are left looking at glue. The pickups make noise only. Earthing is poor (it buzzes, isn’t shielded but has an earth strap to a wood screw???).  The fixed bridge is fiddly to setup. You can fine tune without the magnetic Allen key, but I use an electric screwdriver to change the strings. Zero fret wore notches so I had it replaced with a standard nut. 

Ideally I’d replace the bridge with a hipshot or nova and would love to remove the burl. Pups have gone and I now play it more than my PRS and Musicman. It feels that nice. 
    Im looking at replacing it with a proper strandberg, but I left GG with my wallet in one piece. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've not had experience with the headless, but the 2 Eart guitars I've got a good value for the money. 

First one I got was an NKC3 model 6 months ago

Pros
    Excellent fretwork
    Nut cut perfectly (first fret action is perfect, so they really do stand by their fretwork and don't try to hide bad work with a high nut)
    Holds tuning perfectly.
    Nice weight, not too heavy at 7 lbs 7.5 oz - well balanced
    Pickups sounded very good, albeit a bit on the mellower side, but I could EQ a great sound out of them

Cons
    Some cosmetic blemishes where the veneer meets the body. A few black lines - only noticeable close up
    Strings get stuck in the trem block, so you have to poke them out. I tend to use a bradall

The second one I got was the E335 model 4 months ago

Pros
    Excellent finish, especially for satin. The wood is very smooth
    Holds tuning ok, but not as good as the NKC3 (Possibly the headstock style)
    Excellent sounding pickups - very low output but lovely and clear

Cons
    Fretwork wasn't as good on this one, but not the worst guitar I've had. The 4th fret was high, so I couldn't get the action as low as I wanted. Got my local tech to sort it all out.
    The G string was a little on the anemic sounding, so needed a little attention at the nut.
    The bridge saddles were cut a little wide on the high strings, so I did end up swapping it with a Graphtech Resomax (although the Resomax was slightly wider, so the holes needed plugging and re-drilling)

All in all, I'm happy with them for the money.

Shameless plug, but I did a few demos with them, if you're interested. Check them out here :)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MrCurtyWurty/videos

Cheers

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    They are one place in the alphabet away from being called fart, that's all I got. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom