Guitar Shops in London

What's Hot
Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
So for some inexplicable reason, the wife has made the decision that for our first bit of time off in 18 months, we're gonna go to London for a few days.

So just thinking about hitting some decent guitar shops to pass the time, might try out a few R9's just for fun.

Aside from the Denmark street stores, any other place worth a drop in for a potential second hand bargain? We're staying in Waterloo, but mooching around for 3 days.

Anything with a decent selection of pedals too?

TIA....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sergiosergio Frets: 116
    edited October 2021
    Central London and a second hand bargain? That's a challenge  ;)   Not far from Denmark St there's Mak's guitars in the old Ivor Mairants location and they have a small second hand selection.

There is also Guitar Classics down south in Battersea, they mainly deal with second hand stuff but you may want to give them a call in advance to check what they have in the store as it's a bit of a trek.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    edited October 2021
    You can pop up the Northern Line to Guitarguitar in Camden (Camden Town is fun visit anyway IMO) and see what they've got. GG often has a lot of secondhand stuff in their shops they don't list online.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    +1 for GG In Camden, really nice friendly shop with loads of nice guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    Heh its such a weird thing to think of for me, spending more than 1 day in London, being a Londoner… I try and avoid the place as much as I can haha. 

Yeah I would say GG, theres also a PMT but I’m not sure where it is, its further East I think so probably too far out. Not the Romford one, theres another.. as Yoda would say.. 

I’ve not been Denmark street in years, in fact last time I went there I think I saw cky at the Astoria… neither have existed.. in their original form for like a decade!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Get train to Guitar Guitar in Epsom?
    skunkwerx said:
    Heh its such a weird thing to think of for me, spending more than 1 day in London, being a Londoner… I try and avoid the place as much as I can haha. 

Yeah I would say GG, theres also a PMT but I’m not sure where it is, its further East I think so probably too far out. Not the Romford one, theres another.. as Yoda would say.. 
    Ah yeah it’s near Old Street I think. Not super central but not *too* far to the east. 
  • Whitecat said:
    skunkwerx said:

Ah yeah it’s near Old Street I think. Not super central but not *too* far to the east. 
    I was in Old St PMT in the summer and their stock was really low.

@Vintage-T - given how long it takes to get anywhere in London, I would recommend you make a few calls first and ask what the shops have in. I wouldn't want to trek all over the place jus to find out they are thin on the ground.

At least with Denmark St (and the surrounding area) you have a few shops to browse...
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7767
    PMT too small unless you are right there. GG in Camden is better...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
    Denmark Street and GG in Camden is your best bet in terms for the amount of guitars you’ll get to see. 

I popped by Guitar Classics a few weeks ago as was passing and was closed so definitely call ahead but it’s a small place. Train from Waterloo to Clapham Junction is around 5-10 minutes and it’s a 15 minute walk from there. 

Camden and the west end definitely better places to hangout than Clapham.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    depends what you're into
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I'd suggest the Yamaha shop on Wardour Street. You won't find anything secondhand there, of course, but if you're just browsing and passing the time, it's a nice place to be, and it's close to Denmark Street.
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    thanks guys :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    PMT too small unless you are right there. GG in Camden is better...

I've not been lied to by a member of staff in GG either.
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 221
    another vote for a short train journey to epsom. def worth the visit
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    Although I live in South London and work in the City (on those days that I go in to the office) I hardly ever go into central London nowadays.  But I went to Denmark Street a couple of weeks ago and it is so dead!  Almost everything on the side of the road with Andys/Hanks is now closed and being refurbished. There are still three or four shops on the other side of the street, I guess No Tom would be worth a look.

To be honest I wish they'd all just give up on the notion of Denmark Street as "Tin Pan Alley" and surrender it to coffee shops.  It feels like it's on life support.

Epsom GG's good and really not difficult to get to.  I haven't been to the Camden one.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2437
    edited October 2021
    Denmark Street isn’t worth the journey any more. I doubt you’ll find even one R9 to play, let alone a few
  • I was in that London the other week and visited Denmark St as I'd not been for a good few years. Its a run-down mess, I feel sorry for the few retailers that are hanging on. 
    That was the last time for me, unfortunately.

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    GG Camden would be my shout as well. Nice bunch, plenty to look at. S/H wise they have some stuff. I was in Denmark street a few weeks back... It's not up to much these days which is sad. There is a Gibson stockist at the end of the street, but I think that's going to open a tattoo shop in it as well as guitars. I guess to pay the rent!

https://sixtysixtysounds.com/product-category/electric-guitars/
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Try PMT London Music Shop located at 

35-39 Old Street, Clerkenwell EC1V 9HX ·

within walking distance of Barbican, and Old Street Underground Stations. Barbican is closer.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/stores/london/

Check the map here:-

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=pmt+music+store+old+street+london&cvid=d5281dc51a9140deba74d412fd7e25cb&aqs=edge..69i57.28428j0j1&pglt=2081&FORM=ANNTA1&PC=HCTS
    I guess the other thing worth thinking about is that if you’re by Waterloo already anyway then it’s not too far to get to Guitar Village in Farnham and even quicker to get to Anderton’s in Guildford. Not sure what their systems are at the moment for accepting customers, but it’s an option.