Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can we spot future classics???

What's Hot
joeWjoeW Frets: 458
Well everyone knows the story of Les Paul guitars from its modest initial production to a corner stone of the guitar industry.  We have many and divergent views on prices of Klons and similar items whose prices have spiked due to production limits, player endorsement etc. 

Question is - can we spot the future classics and keep them before the bedroom traders make the cash when things become more obvious.  

I have no clue at all, but I would have my money on the chase bliss automatone II. It’s sounds amazing, works great and CB don’t make high volumes and most of their decommissioned pedals are already trading at and over original rrp.  

Guitars - my call would be Novo - they are pretty unique, look and play great and aren’t made in endless supply. 

So come on fb - what should we buy now and not later for a load more ££ ??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's got to be something limited.

So if the fret board can spot it and put it under the bed to cash in later, it won't have that cachet that makes it something to cash in on.

You have to predict the weird unpopular guitars that the future guitar heros play, because they are cheap and have that stored away before the future hero plays it.

Or be a future trader and spot the next apple/ Microsoft 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260

I got one of only about 30 Bradford Beach Blue Reverend Gristle 90s. 
    Pretty limited. And a F*** off great guitar. No more will be made.

IMG_9139JPG
    0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8773
    Ian Elson Guitars. The new Bitcoin ;)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    31reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 458
    JerkMoans said:
    Yes - why didn’t I think of Ian Elson - hand ‘crafted’, probably soon to be a limited run and all have a personal back story.  All the hall marks of a classic, esp those with rodent chewed nut slots. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
    joeW said:
    JerkMoans said:
    Yes - why didn’t I think of Ian Elson - hand ‘crafted’, probably soon to be a limited run and all have a personal back story.  All the hall marks of a classic, esp those with rodent chewed nut slots. 
    I suspect there may be some of his customers who'd be quite happy to see Mr Elson himself with a few rodent chewed nut slots :)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No chance unless it has Fender or Gibson on the headstock, the electric guitar market will never change mores the pity
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3351
    For a long time people thought early Squiers were a holy grail to own, some people still do. So what we really have to ask, which guitar will internet hype rocket into the heavens.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    If you go by the ads on Reverb and Facebook etc, you’d think that every guitar ever made is “rare” or “limited” or “hard to find” in some capacity. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    When 70s Strats, which were condemned as being do awful that people were buying Japanese copies which were better guitars, become worth more than they really should this becomes an exercise with no roots in sanity or logic.

Sometimes a guitar is rare because it's crap but it happens to be one of the few still in existence that hasn't been chucked out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    I still hold that the much maligned 2015 Gibsons for all their oddities will one day be highly prized.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    In the late 80s 60s Jazzmasters, Jaguars etc. were super cheap iirc. but then again so were Ferrari Dinos. I think it's pot luck tbh.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    Music Man St Vincent would be my guess for one. Looks great, plays great, high quality instrument and an iconic namesake. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 458
    Music Man St Vincent would be my guess for one. Looks great, plays great, high quality instrument and an iconic namesake. 
    That’s a good shout. And she had a lot of input into the development of the guitar, not just a standard model with a different pu wiring etc. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I reckon first run CS La Cabronita’s they were made in very limited numbers and whilst not cheap now, they’re no less than a new CS would cost.

I also think there may be periods of Fender CS that will be considered better than others, it’s really consistent as you’d expect but I do think they’ve lost their way a bit with a random selection of dealer appointed guitars always available but no real year on year focus and no interesting concepts, such as La Cabronita, coming through. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    tony99 said:
    I still hold that the much maligned 2015 Gibsons for all their oddities will one day be highly prized.
    It’s funny as it would only take some young start-ups to adopt them, Nirvana style, and they’d be back in play. Sadly, the days of a single band changing the scene, let alone the world, are long gone. 
  • Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster would be my guess. 
    They're great guitars that are already creeping up in price. 

Failing that, a Harley Benton with upgraded pickups. ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited October 2021
    Honestly, I think only artist guitars will stand out as being chase-downable, and maybe only for one more generation. There is simply too much of everything else now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 523
    I'd also chuck in short runs from the lager firms.

Highway One from Fender is one in particular. Those retailed at £440 and are selling for much more. 

Small builders may struggle to gain enough reputation over a wide enough population to really attain collectable status. That's not a bad thing for the 'everyman'. 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14028
    tFB Trader
    Remember that a new future guitar god has an influence on this - Look at what the likes of Jack White did for the Airline and other cool guitars from the 50's and 60's - Or J Ramone did for the Mosrite

Look what Clapton did for the Les Paul in the 60's

However maybe various sites, like E-bay/Reverb, now make this more unlikely - Prior to WWW, many such guitars sat in the sad corner of a local dealer - So the guy in Kent hunting down a Mosrite might not know there is a cheap one hanging around in Halifax, yet the guy in Halifax did not know they now have any value and are sought after - Far harder these days to come across seriously under-priced guitars, in any price point, from any brand 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    FastEddie said:
    I'd also chuck in short runs from the lager firms.

Like the Fostercaster. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom