Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there a well known band you'd have liked to have been in?

What's Hot
Open_GOpen_G Frets: 145
There's loads of bands out there that I love the music of, but would never ever see myself able or want to be a part of... Without much thinking on it, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and Iron Maiden come immediately to mind. However there's also a number of bands that I think I'd have liked to be a member of (assuming of course age, ability, location and vacancies are not actually a factor)

On the random playlist a bit of Everything but the Girl covering Only Living Boy in New York was on this morning and I got to thinking, I'd have liked to be a member of this duo- simple acoustic songs with some lovely production, and fabulous harmonies. There is the added bonus that they are virtually unrecognisable and could wander into their local tescos without fear of being bombarded. I reckon that at my absolute best, my ability to turn my hand to a number of instruments, not terrible harmony singing, and ear for a good tune I could have enjoyed being part of this band.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    I'm aware of my musical limitations so maraca player in the Happy Mondays would have suited me down to the ground. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I tend to say Bob Marley and the Wailers. People now would be saying ‘do you remember the fat white guy in the Wailers?'*
    The politics and gang involvement stuff would have been scarey but I think the memories would be amazing and potentially I could have stepped up to the plate skillwise as a side person. 

*Always fascinates me that Paul Kossoff ( to whom I'm not comparing myself as a guitarist!) was asked to be part of the touring band but passed on health grounds. Would have been interesting to hear (assuming Paul had his act together each night). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    Put me down as the bass player for the Doors.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    King Crimson.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    Black Crowes.... or Dua Lipa's band  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Blondie

The focus was all on her so less pressure on me , the tunes and guitar parts were well written but not too challenging plus you got to see the gorgeous Ms Harry up close 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    The Faces 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Out of all of them and everything .. to be in .. would be.. Jane's Addiction 
  • Quite a few - but I expect it would have been really frustrating. I'd be there wanting to write music and bang out riffs to massive audiences - but my bandmates would be more interested in groupies and mountains of cocaine. 

Almost all my favourite bands of years past had such issues, and it'd be maddening being in the band if you wanted to crack on with music. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Robin Trower, but then you'd have had to leave out Robin... which would be very disappointing for the audience.

So I'll say Wishbone Ash.  I can quite easily imagine myself (if I was a much better player) as one of the many relatively anonymous guitar sidekicks Andy Powell has had in the years since their glory days.  I'd have made them a bit rockier too.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 145
    Quite a few - but I expect it would have been really frustrating. I'd be there wanting to write music and bang out riffs to massive audiences - but my bandmates would be more interested in groupies and mountains of cocaine. 

Almost all my favourite bands of years past had such issues, and it'd be maddening being in the band if you wanted to crack on with music. 
    Yep, love of the music doesn’t equal seeing yourself alongside the folks in the band. 

As much as GnR were the soundtrack to my teens I couldn’t think of a band I’d less want to be in. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    DesVegas said:
    Out of all of them and everything .. to be in .. would be.. Jane's Addiction 
    Are you sure your liver could withstand it?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited October 2021
    It is an interesting question.  Easy to say "I'd like to be Richie Kotzen", not so easy to imagine yourself replacing Richie Kotzen.

As @Grumpyrocker says, you have to visualise how you'd fit in with the personalities in the band.  I watch or read Motley Crue's The Dirt then try to picture myself, sitting there reading a book and saying can you keep the noise down and make sure you tidy up when you're all done?

Not difficult to imagine hanging out with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson.  Very difficult to imagine hanging out with Matt Pike or Brent Hinds.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Open_G said:
    Quite a few - but I expect it would have been really frustrating. I'd be there wanting to write music and bang out riffs to massive audiences - but my bandmates would be more interested in groupies and mountains of cocaine. 

Yep, love of the music doesn’t equal seeing yourself alongside the folks in the band. 

As much as GnR were the soundtrack to my teens I couldn’t think of a band I’d less want to be in. 
    I was thinking The Specials as I’ve been known to describe myself as Fat Roddy Byers but having read a couple of books about them the arguments, fights ( often with skinhead gangs) and financial problems it doesn’t seem like it would have been much fun at all. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Guns n roses , Rolling Stones ,Aerosmith 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    I would have liked to play bass with Christy Moore.  Christy has Declan Synott playing guitar and sometimes has a woman adding BV and a male playing percussion.  That group is one that I think I would have something to contribute to.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Girls aloud… only coz i think Ashley Cole is a hottie!…
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    .... or Dua Lipa's band  ;)
    Agreed.

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.

Probably on scissors.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7029
    I would have given my left arm to play guitar with Runrig, but then I wouldn't have been able to fret anything.