Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Rob Chapman conundrum

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24299
    edited October 2021
    Redlester said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Speaking as someone who only heard of Mr Chapman via this forum and have watched only a couple of Andertons videos with him in, my first impression - and it's a very strong one - is that he displays the behaviour of someone with Aspergers / ADHD / Whatever.  I'm no expert on syndromes.   I've met plenty of people with very similar behaviour and, yes, they can come across as annoying and insensitive but that's not what they're trying to be.  Bullying someone (even via words on a forum that they probably won't read) because they have a pattern of social interaction that is different to most others is pretty poor behaviour IMO.  I'm certain that were he to read many of the negative comments about himself, that would cause him pain - no matter how thick skinned he appears to be, and that, in my opinion is pretty shitty and juvenile behaviour.  To keep regurgitating the attacks because it's 'the popular thing to do' on The Fretboard is the domain of the arsehole.
    @Emp_Fab I'm not sure that's a helpful contribution. There's a reason why healthcare professionals  don't diagnose on a remote, third party basis. Policies such as the Goldwater Rule exist for a very good reason. Please reconsider before making such comments in the future. 

No.  It's my opinion - however ill-informed I may be.  I haven't offended anyone.  I haven't been rude or disrespectful.
    That is my honest take on the guy.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I liked him in the early days. He has obviously recently tried to change his playing style, but not to my liking (bit the am I to criticize). He has for good reason become over confident to the point of appearing a bit cocky, but deep down he is obviously quite sensitive.
    And there is nothing wrong with these very human traits. He is living the dream. Has a successful quitar company, plays in bands, records music, lives in Malta, married to a lovely wife, but came from nothing, suffered depression but got a good break. 
    Beats being a corporate whore.
  • TTBZ said:
    He’s alright is Chappers I miss him on Anderson’s demos , his zany humour and knowledge 
      Him and the captain were a magical pairing .

I like Kirk Hammett too , he really does seem such a nice enthusiastic guy 
    I agree I much preferred Anderton's videos with Rob and Lee (plus Rabea for proper heavy stuff). I think now with Lee and Pete's playing its too similar in style so there's no contrast, and it's all one long video of nice beige inoffensive playing imo. Nothing for those of us who like to use all the gain
    lee and pete similar???????? one can really play the other one......
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Gassage said:
    Anyhow, does anyone have a view on Richard, from Richard's Guitars?

Not particularly, but you wouldn't believe the poor fit and finish on this Gibson Les Paul I saw the other day.

Honestly, a Harley Benton with a pup swap would be better!!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    edited October 2021
    Hey all, this was one of my 'late night' threads that in the cold light of the next day does seem somewhat naive/misguided [I have form!]. If the Mods would prefer to close it fine, although I think that is a bit insane to have a successful person in the guitar community as a theoretically banned subject. I was merely highlighting that he is a popular guy away from our community. 

Anyway, I won't be bringing up the subject again!
    axisus said:
    Hey all, this was one of my 'late night' threads that in the cold light of the next day does seem somewhat naive/misguided [I have form!]. If the Mods would prefer to close it fine, although I think that is a bit insane to have a successful person in the guitar community as a theoretically banned subject. I was merely highlighting that he is a popular guy away from our community. 

If we didn't keep bringing up certain topics to the point of cliche, it might get a bit quiet around here, I wouldn't worry! :)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I’m mostly indifferent to Chappers as well, to me he’s just been the bloke on the Andertons videos with the ill advised white boy dreads. I think he just got to be the That Guy That Forum People Liked To Hate, bit like JoBo. 

Meanwhile: Move on, nothing new to see here. 

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Not sure how anyone can hate kirk, he is perfect for Metallica and can run rings around me, bonnamassa am I jealous of his playing of course, but I'd rather eat my own head than listen to it, love a pint with the chap tho.

As for chappers, I too don't get the hate is anyone is to be lampooned its "the captain" and only because he plays the same bloody riff over and over, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    nice guy
    no idea why people feel the need to slag him off
  • Emp_Fab said:
    he displays the behaviour of someone with Aspergers / ADHD / Whatever.  I'm no expert on syndromes.   
    So hyper-attentive to details facts and figures or easily distracted by details, facts and figures.

I'm no expert on syndromes, or bicycles.. I hear he rides a uni-cycle or a horse.

Didn't Kermit the Frog sing The Rob Chapman Conundrum?

Didn't Kermit the Frog sing The Rob Chapman Conundrum?
    Why are there so many
    Threads about Chappers?
    Is anyone on his side?
    YouTube has egos, that lead to derision
    Does chappers have something to hide?

I've been told in these threads he's a bellend,
    A bell end some think he may be..

Someday I'll find it
    The Chappers Conundrum
    Rabea, Lee Anderton and me...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:

To be fair, I mostly joined the thread so that I couldn't moderate it, and because it seemed like a nice experiment in whether people could be non-asshats about him ;)
    <space for hire>
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Emp_Fab said:
    my first impression - and it's a very strong one - is that he displays the behaviour of someone with Aspergers / ADHD / Whatever. 
    I’ve got ADHD. He doesn’t come across like that to me, at all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    Seems a perfectly decent bloke to me except he always says "Greetings" which sounds a bit like Father Christmas 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited October 2021
    I’m indifferent to the guy, if it’s the one I’m thinking of. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7207
    Somebody mentioned earlier that his own videos had seen a drop in followers.  While he was here in the UK appearing on Andertons videos he was one of the lads.  He has now moved to Malta (I'm sure his wife is Maltese) and is no longer the UK-based local lad appearing in comical videos with the other well known faces, so many of the fans will have seen this as abandonment.  Jealousy comes into play here also.  I had his recent video "suggested" to me by YouTube and decided to watch most of it.  I have to say that I'm quite envious of somebody who lives in a nice warm climate surrounded by clean clear sea who can pad around in shorts and a T-shirt at any time of the year.  From what I saw of him he has grown up, but has been looking back affectionately and perhaps longingly at his fun times on Andertons videos.  There is a more humble maturity in his musings, and many of the fans simply won't like the less entertaining and more thoughtful person they are seeing.  Fans are fickle.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24299
    Emp_Fab said:
    my first impression - and it's a very strong one - is that he displays the behaviour of someone with Aspergers / ADHD / Whatever. 
    I’ve got ADHD. He doesn’t come across like that to me, at all. 

I just quoted ADHD as it was just one of the very few personality disorders I know the name of.  I just meant 'he comes across as having some kind of personality 'disorder''.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I thought Chappers bashing had been supplanted by Ian Elson bashing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600

He seems nice enough. He's a very talented guitarist and has managed to build a successful and no doubt lucrative career. 

Although I still think he's a Sith Lord.  ;)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    Jesus 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom