Playing via In Ear Monitors

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Finally gigged with the ACS IEMs last weekend and was extremely happy with them - the ports let in enough of the drums (unmiced) for me to hear them clearly against the vocals/guitars/bass that were mixed in the IEM signal. Also could hear the audience at a clear (but diminished) level, so no real sense of isolation.

They were very comfortable and had no issues wearing them for a 2-hour gig. Ears were absolutely fine immediately afterwards and also the next morning, overall very impressed! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What's the benefit over putting drums in the IEM mix?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    IEMs tend to lose upper and lower frequencies. So having ports allows you to hear more of the thud of the kick, the snap of the snare and the sizzle of the cymbals. I find it easier to stay it time with the drums if I can hear that snap and thud. Last month we did a rehearsal where the drummer used an electronic kit, and I found it surprisingly difficult to pick up timing cues. Thankfully he was back using a mic’d snare last weekend, and I could hear enough of the snap even with isolating plugs.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    I find having hi hat in my ears is essential for me on the bigger stages. Although I can hear some bleed from FOH  and I have a bit of the vibe mics we use at the front of the stage piped in as well,  that direct hi hat mic keeps everybody locked in perfectly. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • uberscott said:
    I've ordered a set of ACS's 'Ambient' vented IEMs - theory being that they let in a little ambient sound and reduce the occluded/isolated experience. Will report back on how they turn out, should be getting them next week. 
    I'm thinking of getting a set of these myself, how are you finding them after a few months of use?. I've been using Shure 535's with Snug moulds and Sennheiser G4 set up for while now but really like the idea of the 'Ambient' option. I play in a 9 piece with 4 piece horn section. Which ones did you go for? I'm thinking the Evolve Ambient 3 drivers should be good enough.
  • uberscottuberscott Frets: 130
    edited October 2022
    Yeah they're working great - probably did 15 gigs with them this year and have no complaints. I get a nice sense of the ambient sound and it's great to hear the crowd. They made a big difference in smaller venues where I'm right beside a bunch of cymbals, the IEMs do a great job of taking the edge of all that while still letting a nice balanced level of ambient sound in. So far so good!

I went for the Evoke2 Ambient models - I'm sure the extra driver would be an improvement but my hearing is terrible so additional range would be lost on me anyway! 
  • uberscott said:
    Yeah they're working great - probably did 15 gigs with them this year and have no complaints. I get a nice sense of the ambient sound and it's great to hear the crowd. They made a big difference in smaller venues where I'm right beside a bunch of cymbals, the IEMs do a great job of taking the edge of all that while still letting a nice balanced level of ambient sound in. So far so good!

I went for the Evoke2 Ambient models - I'm sure the extra driver would be an improvement but my hearing is terrible so additional range would be lost on me anyway! 
    Thanks for that, I think I've made up my mind and will be placing an order. 
  • KevKahuna said:
    uberscott said:

Thanks for that, I think I've made up my mind and will be placing an order. 
    Just received my Ambient Evolve's through the post.  Just in time to try out tonight :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom