Warmoth neck had issues

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7769
Before we get too carried away this is NOT a "oh no, I need to complain/return/demand satisfaction" thread - just thought it was interesting.

I bought a Warmoth neck some years back - chose it from their ready made stock, and didn't get around to fitting it to a guitar body for about a year. And THAT was some years ago.

In addition to the expected things that you'd expect to resolve on a Warmoth neck (fret ends steep and need sorting, final levelling/dressing of frets once on a busy and to tension) there were a couple of less ok things that finally came to light when it was in recently to be fettled.

1) Compound radius. The spec was Warmoth's apparently popular 10"-16" compound radius. Except it isn't. The chap who worked on it recently showed me using his radius gauges that it's just over 14" at the top end, and just under 14" at the bottom end :-/ 

2) Not straight. The fretboard on the bass side has a hump about half way up for a few frets. That explained why I'd had a few problems sorting a decent action, but he managed to work around it. 

I think if I'd been aware of these things back when I bought it I'd have been in touch with them and unhappy - but as it is it's now doing a good job on a great guitar.

The radius thing really surprised me
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The nuts disintegrate after a few years, in my experience.
  • That same radius was perfect on the one I bought from Warmoth. The only tiny-teeny gripe I had was a little bit of grind which wore off. I guess due to metal and how it doesn't like hanging around on ships during covid lockdown :-)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23732
    The nuts disintegrate after a few years, in my experience.
    Doesn't that depend on your choice of nut material?  They offer several.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1753
    tFB Trader
    Tricky to say, was it totally unfinished? And how was it stored over the years? Could very well have moved if left to it’s own devices
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3099
    I bought a Warmoth neck and body last year and I couldn't have been happier. The frets needed a little attention (light fret skim and I'd decided to have the frets and fretboard rolled) but nothing surprising.
  • Philly_Q said:
    The nuts disintegrate after a few years, in my experience.
    Doesn't that depend on your choice of nut material?  They offer several.
    At the time I bought mine it was only their plastic variety that was offered. About 2004. Lasted three or four years before it began crumbling. Not had that experience with any other supplier. My oldest is a 79 Fender acoustic. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7769
    Tricky to say, was it totally unfinished? And how was it stored over the years? Could very well have moved if left to it’s own devices
    I guess it’s possible. It’s unfinished roasted quartersawn maple (my understanding is it should be stable as is?) 

Has been kept in the same places as my guitars - mostly at home, a stint in big yellow storage that the guitars all survived ok
    Red ones are better.