25.5 inch 3x3 headstock screw on necks? A reason they are not to be found?

What's Hot
I am not trolling! I do like the look of a 3x3 headstock on a telecaster for example. The examples I have seen have been aluminium necks mainly.
Is there a reason wooden 3x3 headstock screw on necks have never been popular? Tuning and stability issues etc?
Those old mosrite style guitars had them, with non angled headstocks. I think they were all screw on right?
I suppose there is a reason I can't find any when I search online. Crap?
There are some Jacksons with pointy 3x3 style headstocks/screw on necks, but I am talking about the more traditional rectangular look.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17494
    edited November 2021
    try searching for "snakehead tele neck", they are sometimes available.  alternative look for a paddle headstock and cut your own

the main difference between these and a gibson style 3-a side headstock is the back angle of the headstock. fender style has no back angle, and this can mean you need string trees, which is neater on a 6 a side headstock with straight string pull. 

Mosrites do get away without any string trees, but they have the headstock a bit deeper than  a fender style neck as you can see by the big volute and deeper headstock scoop they tend to have
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1549
    edited November 2021
    @WezV thanks! If that headstock below was a bit less angled, I think it looks pretty cool. Never though about the string trees etc
    2019 NAMM Masterbuilt Paul Waller Snakehead Telecaster

I would think a Danelectro 59 neck is doing something similar.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17494
    yeah, you can get away without string trees as many do cope without anyway, just like a normal single tree tele really.   Just something to be aware of.   

If it is a problem then a full string guide can be used between nut and tuners

many ways to skin a cat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paddle neck might work. I wouldn't be doing the headstock shaping, but it wouldn't hopefully work out extremely expensive to get done.
  • You can get 25.5 scale necks with flying v and danelectro headstocks on ebay. They are usually from Chinese sellers so may be a bit of a gamble. May very well not be the quality you're after. They do come up in UK searches so they may have some stock here, but it could also take a couple of months to arrive from the far east.

I picked up a danelectro one a while back for less than thirty quid. The first one arrived quickly with the truss rod bursting out of the end of the neck and across the headstock. They sent a replacement immediately and it seems very usable. I will get around to fettling the frets and using at some point.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    25.5 inch 3x3 headstock screw on necks? A reason they are not to be found?
    Because they are wrong and disturb the natural order of the Universe.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Trying to visualise a Dano neck on a telecaster 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited November 2021 tFB Trader
    I can help you there
    https://lacabronectro.wordpress.com/

Jooky is now the custodian of this guitar btw
  • Get yourself a nice Fender Maverick neck!
  • I can help you there

How is jooky these days? Miss him and his wild creations. 
  • I can help you there

Oh wow, very nice indeed! Something different! Do stock Dano necks fit tele bodies. Going by this blog, possibly not....
    Or could just cut to the chase and spare the mods...