Uno Synth Pro

What's Hot
horsehorse Frets: 1563
edited October 2023 in Other Instruments
Updated Oct '23: a few retailers seem to be offloading the full size key version at £360 at the moment, which is imo a real bargain for anyone looking for an analogue mono with patch memory

Original post:

I got a good deal on the version with the full size keys a few weeks ago.

It has its quirks and one or two things I'm hoping firmware might still add, but I reckon the value for money is really good. It feels great to play and I took it out for a jam last night and it sounds really beefy up loud. Paired up with my old electro 5d I can cover a lot of ground with a very compact set up.

Thought I'd mention it in case anybody is considering one. Certainly worth considering as a lower-mid level mono.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A few months down the line, how is it holding up?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    A few months down the line, how is it holding up?
    Still very pleased with it. Very solid feeling and sounding instrument, although I am talking about the bigger version with the full size keys.

I reckon the smaller "desktop" version might be a bit of a bargain, if less sturdy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horse said:
    Still very pleased with it. Very solid feeling and sounding instrument, although I am talking about the bigger version with the full size keys.

I reckon the smaller "desktop" version might be a bit of a bargain, if less sturdy.
    Yep, I am thinking about the desktop version or the Modal Skulpt SE...
    horse said:

Yep, I am thinking about the desktop version or the Modal Skulpt SE...
    Different but each cool in their own ways I think
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Ooo I think the Skulpt SE looks really interesting and maybe a step up from a Volca.

I'm still wondering about a MicroFreak as an alternative.
    Ooo I think the Skulpt SE looks really interesting and maybe a step up from a Volca.

I'm still wondering about a MicroFreak as an alternative.
    I'd probably go for the microfreak out of those 3, but it all depends what you want / need from it
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 249
    I have the desktop. It sounds good but rarely use it. Made some nice dub bass tones with it. 
    tFB Trader
    I'm not sure why you would choose the big Uno Synth Pro over the minilogue xd which can do 4 voices and is by a more established brand or the Modal Cobalt8.
    I'm not sure why you would choose the big Uno Synth Pro over the minilogue xd which can do 4 voices and is by a more established brand or the Modal Cobalt8.
     If it was your only synth, I guess so, but I'm fairly well equipped for polys, and am mainly using it paired with a Nord electro for funk synth leads.

Advantages over minilogue XD for me include better quality full size keys with aftertouch (important for widdling solos), 2 filters with flexible routing, 2 LFOs, mod matrix off the top of my head. If the korg had a better Keybed I might have gone for it instead.

Cobalt is virtual analogue, so a different ballpark really.

I'd own them all if I could though...
    tFB Trader
    horse said:
     If it was your only synth, I guess so, but I'm fairly well equipped for polys, and am mainly using it paired with a Nord electro for funk synth leads.

Advantages over minilogue XD for me include better quality full size keys with aftertouch (important for widdling solos), 2 filters with flexible routing, 2 LFOs, mod matrix off the top of my head. If the korg had a better Keybed I might have gone for it instead.

Thanks for the answer.

I'm a keyboard noob so all this stuff is really interesting to me.

Currently pondering a n Argon8 or an XD to learn about synths.
    horse said:

Thanks for the answer.

I'm a keyboard noob so all this stuff is really interesting to me.

Currently pondering a n Argon8 or an XD to learn about synths.
    Both good options. I think the modals have the same fatar keybeds as the bigger uno pro, so will feel nice to play. The XD has many pluses too.

I forgot balanced outputs as another plus of the bigger uno pro - my context is a bit niche, but for me that happens to be quite handy.
    PSA Oct '23: a few retailers seem to be offloading the full size key version at £360 at the moment, which is imo a real bargain for anyone looking for an analogue mono with patch memory.

I'm guessing it's discontinued with the newer more knobby (non keyboard) module version coming out.
    tFB Trader
    It's a 3 voice poly I think.

Good value as it has Fatar keys
    It's a 3 voice poly I think.

Good value as it has Fatar keys
    Well, paraphonic really - single filter rather than one per vco. But yes, you can play a 3 note chord if you set it that way.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I've just bought an Uno (the tiny one) for £70.
    It's extraordinarilly well featured for something the size of a paperback. Hours of fun and I've barely scratched the surface of its capabilities.
    It's worth the noney for the presets alone.
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 977
    edited October 2023
    Sassafras said:
    It's extraordinarilly well featured for something the size of a paperback. Hours of fun and I've barely scratched the surface of its capabilities.
    Would you mind me asking where you got it @Sassafras? That's £40/£50 cheaper than I can find it.....£70 is a bargain for such a different sounding analogue synth..... how you getting on with the "keys"? do you use them?
    Sassafras said:
    Would you mind me asking where you got it @Sassafras? That's £40/£50 cheaper than I can find it.....£70 is a bargain for such a different sounding analogue synth..... how you getting on with the "keys"? do you use them?
    I got it 2nd hand off ebay but it was all in mint condition.
    I quite like the keys although they can be both too sensitive and not sensitive enough but I put that down to my being hamfisted.
    It really is an amazing little machine for the size and price.
    I've only had it a few days and I've spent hours at a time on it. It really is fun.
    The more I play the Uno, the more I think I can make room for the Uno Pro.
    Sassafras said:
    The more I play the Uno, the more I think I can make room for the Uno Pro.
    The pro is quite a step up in spec, and this version at £360 is a steal in my view:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ik-multimedia-uno-synth-pro?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpompBhDZARIsAFD_Fp_N0-TZ-tY8tq_9wsYUhju08QUIyDxzj1ILm5vC4HlGWDnz4dDDeYEaApJUEALw_wcB

I paid around £500 for mine, and reckon that was still very good value for what you get. Here's a guy who knows his onions with it:

Wow!
    Looks even easier to use than the tiny one, and obviously sounds much better.