Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What DAW are you using?

What's Hot
I've been using Cubase since prehistoric times and the last version I updated was Cubase 7 in 2012. I'm considering updating to Cubase 11 (and with the grace period I'd get C12 for free). But before I do that just wondering if anyone has any opinions on Cubase these days or whether there's a better option such as Reaper or Studio 1?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have Cubase, Reaper and Studio 1. 

I've not logged into Cubase or Reaper since S1 updated to v5, it's now more than capable of doing everything I need, in a very intuitive way. 

Coupled with bundling a fully functioning version with much Presonus hardware, as opposed to a lite version, it's a very good offering. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I use Reaper.  It seems to everything pretty well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Been on Studio One for a year or so...seems to be getting better and better.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Started in cubase and used it up to version 8. I use ableton now because the session view workflow attracted me (although I barely use that nowadays). To be honest, I think that all DAWs are more or less functionally equal, it just depends on which workflow you like. Unless you have things you dont like about the cubase workflow and are willing to learn a new DAW, then I see no reason to change. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Well, one factor is that it's cheaper to upgrade to C11/12 than buy a new DAW.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited November 2021
    Reaper.  Inexpensive, very capable, has regular updates and good community support especially for beginners.  Its focus on function over aesthetics seems to upset some people but, for me anyway, it gets the job done reliably every time.  I changed to it when Sonar was at the height of its bug-ridden PITA phase and see no reason to change to anything else now.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Mostly Pro Tools and Logic.

I also own and use Ableton, Studio One, Nuendo, Acid, Luna, Samplitude, Reaper and a few others.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Cubase 12 will be dongle free, that's one attraction.
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    It depends on what you use it for.  If you're using a lot of MIDI, then Cubase is hard to beat IMO.

I jumped the Cubase ship for Studio One a couple of years ago, and I miss a few things that Cubase did with both MIDI and audio.  What I don't miss are the infuriating bugs that never get fixed and the slow pace of development.  Steinberg's focus seems to be on preparing the next paid upgrade rather than giving the current version attention, and blaming everything on dodgy plugins.

S1 was like a breath of fresh air after that.  It's been rock-solid for me and while it's not perfect, updates are regular and free and they seem to care about their customer base. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3632
    Branshen said:
     To be honest, I think that all DAWs are more or less functionally equal, it just depends on which workflow you like. Unless you have things you dont like about the cubase workflow and are willing to learn a new DAW, then I see no reason to change. 

I think that the above pretty sums up my approach.  My main DAW is Cubase 10.5 pro which runs on a dedicated desktop machine.  I've used Cubase since the mid 90's, so I know it well, the limiting factor is definitely the operator in my case.

Because the dongle / eLicencer software was designed by Satan himself I prefer not to so much look at it let alone try to move it between devices.  For this reason, I’ve used both Reaper and Cakewalk on laptops along with Cantabile (which is more of a live performance tool than a DAW).   I know that Reaper is capable doing great things but all that I’ve needed to learn is how to be able to set up a project, import a few backing tracks created in Cubase, then record half a dozen tracks of drums in the rehearsal room before sending the results back to Cubase for processing.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Branshen said:
    To be honest, I think that all DAWs are more or less functionally equal, it just depends on which workflow you like. 
    Only on the surface, once you get into the nitty gritty the differences can be quite marked.

For instance, Pro Tools Beat Detective, or its hybrid engine.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited November 2021
    I use Cakewalk, by Bandlab. It's free and oustandingly well equipped. The fact that it is totally free, fully supported by a massive community. regular updated with no catch means it's worth checking out. Comes with a lot of plugins too, all of which are good. 

GUI and workflow are great, very easy to get to grips with, but has very deep functionality as well. 

PC only though
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3632
    Coming from Cubase I found Cakewalk to be more intuitive than Reaper.  The only problem was that you need an internet connection which was a pain for location recording.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited November 2021
    Reaper is the answer to: What DAW are you using?

I can't help with your other questions because I've not used anything else, as it's always done what I need and my recording knowledge has grown with it since version 1.

It's not a competition.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited November 2021
    I use Cubase because I've always used Cubase, and I find Reaper really difficult to look at and the icons are not very intuitive as to what they do. I technically have Cubase Artist 11 but I tend to use Elements 8 because 11 requires the dongle to run and I can't be bothered to plug it in. Apart from a load of virtual instruments included in Artist I've not really noticed any difference between the two to be honest, for my use case. The instruments also seem to need my external hard drive plugged in which is annoying on a laptop, then if I try to move the instrument libraries around to the C drive it just cacks up and tells me it can't find them again

I find it's an infuriating piece of software that seems to cack up every time there's a Windows update but to be honest, I find a lot of software quite frustrating so I'm not sure too much can be read into me finding it annoying. 

The midi instrument inputting etc is pretty good on Cubase, I've never been bothered to try and use Reaper for that as it seems to be more effort than its worth when Cubase already works. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Still Reaper. I've had a look at Studio One and Luna but I'm stuck in my ways and like Reaper for what I need.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Not using much these days, was a Tracktion user

Did most dicking around (technical term) in Ableton Live & Reason

Windows 6 "upgrade" stopped my ASIO interface working for months, and I could never get the latency back down to sub 5mS.  Also, buggered up Sony Movie from playing back audio backing while recording footage of me playing (for online tuition) - these conspired to kill off my appetite & enthusiam (the IT dicking around drove me nuts, and I'm a programmer by trade)

Keep meaning to get back into making noises and recording, will probably choose Tracktion successor Waveform (free or the cheapest), or Logic/Garageband - really enjoyed Ableton & Reason for looping and making noises from scratch. 

Studio One looks great, but I'm averse to the rental model for something I'll only use occasionally.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Studio One looks great, but I'm averse to the rental model for something I'll only use occasionally.
    Doesn't have to be via subscription.
  • I have been a Cubase user for a v long time since 5 and I'm now in 10.5 I totally love it, especially for midi, there are probably better ones out there but I'm so used to the work flow I can't change now :D 
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    Jalapeno said:
    Doesn't have to be via subscription.
    I tried a trial subscription while I waited to upgrade to v5 at a discounted price last Black Friday.  It's OK, and I really liked the exclusive video content, but I prefer to buy outright.  I own Komplete Ultimate so I wasn't fussed with the additional packs and content that the sub offers.