Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Albums of 2021

What's Hot

Comments

• Dinosaur Jr - Sweep it Into Space
    The Bevis Frond - Little Eden 

Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Hesitant to suggest this as it might make a certain someone insufferable :lol:  but it is genuinely the only new album I have bought this year.
    So, I nominate 'The World Inside' by our own Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster.
    (The vinyl is a really good listen).
    He’s already insufferable ;) but… have to agree it’s a cracking album…

as is Rain Shadows Drift - Horizoneer ( @Cirrus )

but… 2021 ain’t over yet ;)
  • Hesitant to suggest this as it might make a certain someone insufferable :lol:  but it is genuinely the only new album I have bought this year.
    So, I nominate 'The World Inside' by our own Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster.
    (The vinyl is a really good listen).
    :love: 

Bye!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited November 2021
    Every Time I Die - Radical
    The Bronx VI 

Those are my two standouts for the year. The new Green Lung is very good too but the vocals are a bit too similar to Ozzy for me to love it. Some absolutely huge riffs on there though such as Old Gods.

I've also been listening to the new Idles album and it's not bad. I really wasn't a fan of their older stuff apart from a few tracks. I just think there are other bands who do the angry noise rock thing better and with more conviction. But this is a bit different/unique and I'm enjoying it so far.

The new Mastodon is ok but too much filler (imo) to make it onto best albums for me. A few great moments but far from their best work.

@Dopesick looks like we have similar tastes so I'll have to check out some of those on your list. I was listening to that Bummer album earlier, great band. Looking forward to the new Whores album in 2022.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    edited November 2021
    @TTBZ yeah I love a bit of noise rock. Make sure you check out that Cherubs EP too. I mean I will admit it’s not fantastic but it’s pretty damn solid.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    The only 2021 release of new material that I can remember purchasing is Liquid Tension Experiment 3. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • A lot of love for St Vincent - Daddy's Home and Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend. I really enjoyed both records but really think Daddy's Home is a potential classic - it has real depth

• joetelejoetele Frets: 950
    Oh I also really liked 'Texis' by Sleigh Bells. Their recent KEXP performance was great. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    ABBA - Voyage

OK, it's not the best album of 2021. But it is the one I was looking forward to most, and it's better than I hoped (or possibly more accurately feared!) it would be, so I am not disappointed, and I've probably listened to it more than any other new album this year despite only having it for 10 days.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    Philly_Q said:
    As usual I haven't actually bought or heard many new albums this year...

Mastodon - Hushed and Grim
    Green Lung - Black Harvest
    Iron Maiden - Senjutsu
    It's still 2021 so I'll add one more to my small list of this year's acquisitions:

Khemmis - Deceiver
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    I've had quite a dry year music wise, so predictable I know, but Low - Hey What by a considerable distance.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • I definitely had the best album all year.

Bye!

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    Motorheart by The Darkness, some quality tunes.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• A late contender and on my list, the new Converge with Chelsea Wolfe album, Bloodmoon, is excellent.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899
    I like Beach house’s new EP but that’s about it.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Up until this weekend I would have said my favourite album from 2021 was Public Service Broadcasting's Bright Magic but then I came across An Evening With Silk Sonic (Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak) and it is fantastic. So that. Also I haven't listened to The War On Drugs' new one much yet, but that's probably a candidate.
  • Just been listening to the two albums Tom Morellos release this year - The Atlas Underground Fire and Flood.
    All the songs are collabarations with various artists including Idles, Eddie Vedder, Bruce Springsteen, Rodrigo y Gabrilla, Kirk Hammet, Alex Lifeson and many more. 
    They really jump from genre to genre so I doubt many people will like all the tracks and some of the more experimental, edm tracks fall short but its worth a listen.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    David Crosby - For Free.
    Black Keys - American Kreme
    Sarah Jarosz - Blue Heron Suite

I have to say that David Crosby's output in the past three years has been amazing. Some incredible song writing...

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899
    I’m going to add the masssively well known (on here anyways) Maston - Souvenir and Villagers - Fever dreams...to the mix. 
  • I've hardly listened to any new albums this year, but I will give a shout out to Lammas Fair by Yorkshire musician Henry Parker.