Albert Lee Body Shape?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1549
edited November 2021 in Making & Modding
Really fancy the look of these guitars, but never gone on the headstock shape. I have seen some free templates online, as well as some guy on ebay in Italy selling a few bodies already made. (hard to know what these might be like).
I have seen free templates and templates for sale, so wouldn't know where to start in theory.
This body with a strat heel would be what I am getting at.
I assume strat necks wouldn't fit on the stock body based on the photos of current models...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Necks are 56.7mm at the body end and use an offset 5 bolt system. You could ask Italy guy if bodies are made for regular necks. 
  • Necks are 56.7mm at the body end and use an offset 5 bolt system. You could ask Italy guy if bodies are made for regular necks. 
    The ones advertised have regular strat heels.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    Like the St. Vincent, it's an unusual and elegant non-traditional body design, ruined by a dull and inappropriate headstock which belongs on other body shapes.

I don't like the Strat-style pickup layout ones either, it's equally wrong with the body shape.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM yeah the body has potential with the right headstock ! I saw a build with an aluminium neck / different headstock which looked really really cool. A bit different. Wondering how a strat neck might look. Better I think.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited November 2021
     Depending on how much the 'Italian AL bodies' are, have you considered getting a used Sterling AL (I've seen them around £300), providing they fit the neck you may have in mind? You could keep what you wanted and sell on the other bits.

BTW, I have an EBMM AL (HH) and so if you need any measurements or pics of anything, just let me know and they're fabulous guitars.
  • Kebabkid said:
     Depending on how much the 'Italian AL bodies' are, have you considered getting a used Sterling AL (I've seen them around £300), providing they fit the neck you may have in mind? You could keep what you wanted and sell on the other bits.

BTW, I have an EBMM AL (HH) and so if you need any measurements or pics of anything, just let me know and they're fabulous guitars.
    There are 2 on ebay, both made out of Nyangon (Niangon?) wood, so no idea what that's like. Lightweight from what I have read. Both with strat neck routes.

Body 1 here 

Body 2 here

I had thought of the cheaper model, but no clue what neck with a 6 in line would fit. From what I can see just based on photos, none would...
  • And here is the pic that gave me the original idea. While I could go either way on the headstock in this pic, it does look pretty good, though this one has a 28" conversion neck and is based of the bass AL body, but still pretty good looking. 

May be an image of guitar
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    I think they would look brilliant with something more like the Fender Swinger headstock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes that would look cool alright
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16310
    Give the guy a break he's a pensioner FFS!
    tae be or not tae be
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    I make those, although I have not made them for several years now. I've most likely still got the jigs for them stored away somewhere. I used to do a twin HB version, hardtail or tremolo. Plus the TC version that used standard TC hardware. The neck pocket on all the versions were standard Fender shape but 1mm wider, the nut were 43.5 mm. I did offer the standard MM headstock shape 4 and 2 but most people went for either a Fender type shape or slightly modified Ibanez shape.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• @GSPBASSES possible to PM?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    GSPBASSES said:
    I make those, although I have not made them for several years now. I've most likely still got the jigs for them stored away somewhere. I used to do a twin HB version, hardtail or tremolo. Plus the TC version that used standard TC hardware. The neck pocket on all the versions were standard Fender shape but 1mm wider, the nut were 43.5 mm. I did offer the standard MM headstock shape 4 and 2 but most people went for either a Fender type shape or slightly modified Ibanez shape.
    I’ve just seen a guy in the US offering templates for the  one that uses standard Tele hardware & neck pocket. I’ve still got the last Tele neck that I bought from you with the beak headstock. That would look amazing on an Albert Lee/Tele..
    Wish I had known you did these, or in fact that they even existed at all. I would’ve ordered one from you
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    Sorry should've mentioned I'm not taking on new commissions for the foreseeable future, as most members already know. I'm closing my workshop December 1st until mid January, I'm hoping to finish any work that's on the bench now before December 1st. 
     I'm having a small Black Friday sale starting sometime next week, not very much in the sale this time I'm afraid.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @GSPBASSES I actually quite fancy having a go at making a body myself so if you want to sell on the templates I’d be interested
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1549
    edited November 2021
    @DrBob curious as to how the beak headstock looks!
    Where did you see the American guy online?
    Have you checked out the ebay links I posted? They seem to do custom specs.
    @DrBob curious as to how the beak headstock looks!
    Where did you see the American guy online?
    Have you checked out the ebay links I posted? They seem to do custom specs.
    It’s basically the same as a Suhr headstock. I’ll get pics tomorrow
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I plumped for the one from Italy. Unfinished, and will look at it as some kind of semi long term project. My aim is to try and buy all the parts for it used.
    Not sure if I should keep it as some kind of natural finish, e.g. tru oil etc, or a gold or butterscotch type finish. 
    Not sure on neck yet, strat or some other kind of headstock, but looking forward to this!
  • This is what I have gone for so far. Any input on what colour body might go well with the gold pickguard?

Image 1 - Corpo per chitarra  Albert Lee in Nyangon No forature e Battipenna

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Burgundy Mist ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom