The sitar- any former/ current players able to share views and experiences?

Ladies and gents, 

I have a hankering after a Sitar. I am a self-taught guitarist and have no trouble picking things up by ear. 

However, I am under no illusions about the sitar and going into this completely open minded. If I got one would I be able to pick things up and find my way around teh instrument myself, or would advise at least some basic tuition? 

Also, what are the major considerations in terms of upkeep/ maintenance etc. 

Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    edited January 2022
    I wanted a sitar for the longest time. I used to take my daughter into New York City the day after Christmas, and we'd wander around Greenwich Village, have lunch, do some shopping, etc. 

We walked into the Music Inn, a store that's been a fixture in the Village for like sixty years. They sell exotic instruments. I spotted a sitar and asked the owner the get it down for a tryout. He took us downstairs, sat me down and showed me the rough basics. It was extremely strange and uncomfortable, because the proper seating position does not allow you to look at the fretboard. How could I possibly play this thing without looking at what I was doing? On top of that, the tuners were sticking out the opposite end of the neck, which indicated poor quality. I handed it back and said, "No thanks."

My daughter was no help. She said right in front of the owner, "Go on, dad. Buy it." 

He started a hard sell on me. ""I'll drop the price to $500 with a gig bag, extra picks and strings, an instruction book and a video!! It's a great deal!! You know you want it!!!

I said no and kept walking. The owner followed us out the door. "Come on!! It's the day after Christmas!! Youi know you want it!!

When he realized it was not going to happen, he started yelling, "I really thought you were going to buy it, man!!"

I hate this kind of old style NYC high pressure, and never considered buying a sitar again. 

Please consider this; it's not a guitar. It's a completely different animal that takes years to play properly, but if you get one, good luck with it. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom