UK Retailers and Setups

What's Hot
sundancesundance Frets: 4
edited November 2021 in Acoustics
My first post on this forum so hello to everyone and thanks for letting me join.

I've been playing acoustic guitar for over 30 years and my good wife is letting me choose my first higher-end guitar for my 50th birthday which is in a couple of months.  I'd appreciate some advice about what and where to buy with a budget of around £1k.

I play mostly folk songs, such as Paul Simon, Dylan, Nanci Griffith etc so I'm usually doing some kind of Travis-style fingerpicking.  Never plug into an amp but I'm thinking I should get a guitar with a pickup just in case I need it one day.

My current guitar is a cedar-topped dreadnought (Simon & Patrick SP6) so I'm looking at slightly smaller bodied guitars for the new one. After a lot of thought, I have pretty much decided on either a Furch Blue, Yamaha FS5 (available in a few weeks apparently) or the Yamaha FSX5 (would have to wait until Feb at least).  Would be very happy to hear any comments or suggestions about these, or any alternatives you think I should consider.

My main question, though, is about setups and UK retailers.  I live on a remote island with no easy access to luthiers or guitar techs so I would really like the retailer to do a good setup before shipping it.  I know Richard's Guitars promote this but what about the other UK stores?  I have actually been offered a discount on the FS5 or FSX5 by PMT because of a previous sale which fell through.  So, although they are not available for a while yet, I can get a decent price on these and love the look/sound of them from what I've watched online.  I've never really heard of PMT so not sure how reliable they are and if they would do a good setup.  Does anyone have experience of them and would you recommend them?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 735
    Very pleased with FG5 which I have had since early Summer 2020. It shipped from Japan. It has matured well.

FS5 & FG5 are, as far as I can make out, FS3's and FG3's which have been made in China initially but then sent to Hamamatsu in Japan for finishing off/setup instead of just being marketed in Chinese post-production form. Hence the greater cost. This explains why they look virtually identical - mainly they are.

The FG5 is a very nice guitar in my opinion. It is a dreadnought of course (FG = Folk Guitar) as opposed to the smaller FS (Folk Small). The construction is very good. Mine needed only slight fiddling to lower the action at the bridge saddle to make it just right for me. Also brass bridge pins and Monel strings to suit my personal tone taste. It holds its tuning better than my Martin OM28.

Very pleased with it but then I love FG's. Since buying I have also bought the cheaper FG830. Also nice but tone less complex imho.

You would be welcome to try them out but I notice you are in Scotland and I'm in Essex!

Good Luck.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Some PMT stores do setups and some don't, so you'd need to check if the branch you have in mind does :) 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    I have had some set-up shockers from stores who claim to to fully check the guitars and set them up before shipping - so, just because they say they do it doesn't necessarily mean they will do it well - or even at all. 

In my experience, Peach guitars are pretty good in doing what you ask before shipping.

However, IMO, nothing beats getting a fine-tuned set-up by a trusted local luthier or technician. I do not know where you are in Scotland but you should find someone not too far away.
    Totally agree with @GTC over a trusted luthier/tech. I thought I'd found a good tech and was with him for 5 years. Intonation wasn't spot-on but... Well, I thought that's just the way it was. I was young, just starting out, and I didn't know. Then I found a guy who blew that tech away and I've stayed with him for over 20 years :) 
  • moremore Frets: 230
    Hello and welcome 
    I understand you live somewhere remote , so you might not be willing to travel far . Personally , I would not part with a grand for a guitar I had not played first. Also ,setting up a guitar is not too difficult . You don’t need many tools and everything you need to know is on the net. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4170
    more said:
     You don’t need many tools and everything you need to know is on the net. 
    The trouble is that everything you need to know is on the net nestled amongst a tonne of stuff that you don't need to know or is just plain wrong! :) 

@sundance Welcome to the forum! Yamahas have a pretty good reputation for out of the box playability unlike, say, Martins where they are kind of renowned for sending them out "roughed in" on the assumption that everyone will get a set up straight away anyway. So if I was you - taking your remoteness into account - and you're going for the Yamaha, I'd be tempted to get the deal from PMT, see if they can do a set up and then see what you get. It's either going to be fine or it's going to be easily fixable and if it's not, it can go back.

Given that you are remote, it certainly would pay dividends to get comfortable with making rudimentary adjustments to the truss rod and saddle rather than having to resort to luthiers for that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all the replies.

I live on the Isle of Lewis in the Western Isles of Scotland so it's a whole day's journey involving a ferry to get to Inverness where, I am sure, there will be good guitar techs.  Mainland trips happen now and again, though, so I would just have to fit a guitar setup around one of those whenever possible.  From what you've said, I can totally understand that relying on the retailer to do a setup is probably not recommended so thanks for highlighting that point.

Yes, I should learn to do basic adjustments myself so maybe I'll try this on my old guitar after doing some research.  It's never really been setup properly so could probably use some tweaking.  I'm not too bad at working with my hands but I just wouldn't want to go straight into experimenting on a brand new £1k guitar for my first attempts!

As for which guitar to choose, I'm really on the fence between the Furch and the Yamaha. I started out with intentions of getting another cedar-topped guitar and I loved the elegant beauty of the Furchs.  There's just something about the Yamahas though that makes me think they will suit the sort of folk music I like to play, and maybe having a spruce to complement my existing cedar makes sense.  I've looked at so many reviews, videos and forums about these guitars and I'm still undecided!
    edited November 2021
    It would be great if you could put off your choice of guitar until you could try some in a store, as someone said above. I get the location issue but it's hard to decide which guitar without trying them first. But I hope it goes well  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yamaha London in Wardour St have a fantastic in house luthier who will set the guitar up to your requirements before shipping.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7165
    edited November 2021
    My Mother's church minister is from Lewis.  His name is Murdo Macdonald.  You might know him .
    That's a Scottish in-joke folks.  Murdo is a very popular name in those parts, as is Macdonald.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can only add that I bought a guitar from Richard's; although mine is electric, I would assume they do the same job with acoustics, and I'm very pleased with the set up I got.

I'm a relative beginner so I'm not after anything fancy with how my guitars are set up so possibly if you want something a bit more specific YMMV, but the service I've had from Richard's has been great.
  • After much more deliberation, I have finally decided on a Furch Blue G CM LR Baggs SPE and my very generous wife has just placed the order.  Fortunately it is in stock and should arrive soon.  We ordered it from Project Music whom I called to discuss setup options etc so I am hopeful that they will provide good customer service.

I've read so many good things about Furch guitars and although I love the look of the Yamahas too, I am sure I won't be disappointed with my choice.

Thanks for all the help.  I will be sure to post a NGD thread with photos when the time comes. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    sundance said:
    After much more deliberation, I have finally decided on a Furch Blue G CM LR Baggs SPE and my very generous wife has just placed the order.  Fortunately it is in stock and should arrive soon.  We ordered it from Project Music whom I called to discuss setup options etc so I am hopeful that they will provide good customer service.

I've read so many good things about Furch guitars and although I love the look of the Yamahas too, I am sure I won't be disappointed with my choice.

Thanks for all the help.  I will be sure to post a NGD thread with photos when the time comes. :)
    I received a guitar from Project Music yesterday, a Martin 00-X2E so only half the value of the guitar you're getting, but it came setup really well with the ideal low action for my fingerstyle.
  • Furch is a good call. You might only need to adjust the neck a tiny bit and the rest should be fine unless it feels too stiff with your regular gauge strings.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited December 2021
    Shadow said:
    I received a guitar from Project Music yesterday,

PM in Execeter ?

=============================================================================================

@sundance - as a Furch owner, I reckon you made a good choice, mine came set up by them with a date/name certificate - for me it played superb "out of the box"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Thanks, it's reassuring to hear the positive comments about Furch and Project Music.  Can't wait to receive the guitar!
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    bertie said:
    Shadow said:
    I received a guitar from Project Music yesterday,

PM in Execeter ?

=============================================================================================

@sundance - as a Furch owner, I reckon you made a good choice, mine came set up by them with a date/name certificate - for me it played superb "out of the box"
    Yes, Exeter.
    edited December 2021
    Shadow said:
    Yes, Exeter.
    ahh, gods county - I "think" one of my old school mates son works there..............(dont ask me his name  ) I remember back when the only good shop was Bill Greenhalgh - (there was Minns and a place in Sidwell St. - I bought a Yamaha dread there in about 1984)
  • So, the Furch arrived yesterday and first impressions are that it looks beautiful.

Haven't had time to play it much yet but my initial feeling was that it sounds really great. It didn't feel as buttery smooth to play as I maybe hoped so might need to consider if it needs any tweaking. The action at the 12th fret could possibly be lower, but I haven't measured it yet.  Having said that, I definitely noticed the benefit of the wider nut compared to my Simon & Patrick SP6 and found more space for my fretting hand.

Was slightly disappointed not to receive a certificate of authenticity, or any paperwork at all. Is that normal?  Managed to find the battery compartment and figure out how to use the tuner on the LR Baggs pickup but would have expected some sort of instructions.

Technically I'm not supposed to play the guitar until mid January when I have a big birthday but might manage to sneak a few minutes now and again while the wife is out  =)
    edited December 2021
    the "certificate"  was folded up in the accessory compartment thingy in the hard case,  from the factory setup not the "reseller"  it was back in 2016  tho -  I only had it a month or so before I f*cked my arm (the first time) - couldnt play for 6 months !!