Deliverance

What's Hot
Thinking of getting a 5 sting banjo. How easy are they to play if you're a guitar player already. I know it requires a whole new world of fancy finger work but who here has gone this route and could give some incite into the learning process?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3688
    Really depends on whether you still have all your teeth. :lol:
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Devil#20 said:
    How easy are they to play if you're a guitar player already.
    Different head space. 

You could gain some insight by removing the low E string from a guitar and retuning the others. This would force your fretting fingers into some new shapes. Your current scalar fingerboard moves will no longer work. Less tricky than fretless guitar, I reckon.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    Devil#20 said:
    How easy are they to play if you're a guitar player already.
    Different head space. 

You could gain some insight by removing the low E string from a guitar and retuning the others. This would force your fretting fingers into some new shapes. Your current scalar fingerboard moves will no longer work. Less tricky than fretless guitar, I reckon.
    So it would be basically starting from scratch then? Like trying to play left handed when you're a right handed guitar player maybe. I think you may have just talked me out of it maybe.  

Ian

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Chicago tuning on a banjo is the same as the top 4 string tuning on a guitar so all your normal A, D, F shapes will work fine ... really just play the chord shape omitting the strings that aren't there. 

Or stuff a shirt into an acoustic guitar 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    I found I couldn't get used to the totally different dynamics and feel, rather than the tuning. I tried a 6-string banjo after the 5-string - basically a guitar neck on a banjo body - and that was no better.

If you get it, you get it... if you don't, it will probably just gather dust after the first week.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GAD on a five string banjo easy shapes to learn and you’ve got a 3 chord trick , above that I couldn’t get on with picking but strummed away. (Mrs M inherited one or wouldn’t have bothered) 

Prefer mandolins as a second instrument
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313

I can’t get on with mandolins either, but like ukeleles… don’t know why.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

GAD on a five string banjo easy shapes to learn and you’ve got a 3 chord trick , above that I couldn’t get on with picking but strummed away. (Mrs M inherited one or wouldn’t have bothered) 

Interesting because I was in two minds whether to get a mandolin instead. I like the sound of both. 

Ian

Danny1969 said:
    Chicago tuning on a banjo is the same as the top 4 string tuning on a guitar so all your normal A, D, F shapes will work fine ... really just play the chord shape omitting the strings that aren't there. 

Or stuff a shirt into an acoustic guitar 

I like that. 

Ian

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited November 2021
    Which five-string banjo will depend what you Want to play. Do you want to play bluegrass or old style clawhammer? The two styles are quite different and, ideally, need their own type of banjo, though you *can* play both styles on just one  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I got given one years ago. Found it impossible to play! 
    edited November 2021
    I've been playing an openback five-string banjo since 1978. It's my second instrument of choice. FWIW my current one is an OME North Star 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Devil#20 said:.
    So, it would be basically starting from scratch, then?  
    Worse. You need to unlearn some of your guitaristic "muscle memory" moves first.

Remember the Fender Alternate Reality Tenor Tele? Playing one in factory tuning, I would keep trying to finger "normal" Standard Tuning chord shapes on its skinny neck, often landing several fingers on the same string. D'oh! Proper fifths tuning would have been a better way to present the instrument.

The bass register half of the Chapman Stick is strung upside down (or, if you prefer, inside out). It is necessary to actively resist the temptation to move away from the floor in search of the lower notes.

Eventually, the playing techniques of bass guitar and Chapman Stick inform each other. The same ought to be true of banjo and guitar.

Ought.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2021
    Five-string banjos are not difficult to master. They do, however, require more maintenance than guitars. The head has to be evenly tensioned by way of a number of brackets. It isn't easy for a newbie to get right. Then there's bridge position and that *has* to be dialled in or (obviously) intonation is poor. The head tension will alter with humidity/temperature changes. If this seems a pain in the neck, a banjo is not for you  
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Listen to a load of banjo music.
    It's a different technique to guitar but if you're used to fingerpicking, it becomes a lot easier.