Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What do they mean when they say "chewy?"

What's Hot

Comments

• skayskay Frets: 394
    The opposite to snappy, so overlaps more in the ‘forgiving’ circle of the amp tone Venn diagram 

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    what the hell do people mean when they say an amp is 'chewy' ????
    Maybe more manuals should say "Caution High voltages inside, no user serviceable parts, oh also do not eat any part of this appliance"

To me its  wide open pushed amp, where the top end starts to roll off and sound sweeter, and when you hit a string you can see the harmonics coming out of the speaker like little butterflies.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Hendrix had a chewy sound for sure. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    This is what I would call chewy

• Tbh I'd have thought drew would be the last one to worry about a bit of wacky, colourful language  :)
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7110
    edited November 2021
    Tbh I'd have thought drew would be the last one to worry about a bit of wacky, colourful language 
    I don't think he is worried, this thread is the second in an occasional series - preceded by the classic 'What sort of bellend calls an amp 'forgiving' '  I fully expect such future gems like 'What sort of c%$£ calls an amp 'spongy' ' , 'If you call an amp 'brittle' you must be some sort of tw£$' etc etc :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4166
    edited November 2021
    It's an internet phenomenon, word salad full of all these phrases that get bandied about until, eventually, they distil into three or four ('dirt', 'chewy', 'unforgiving', 'bit of hair') that seem to indicate something to a small subset of people but sometimes mean bugger all to the rest of us.

The bassist Guy Pratt once said a difficulty when recording sessions was being asked things like 'can you make your sound more zooshy?' His response was 'yeah, hang on, I'll turn up the zoosh knob'. I'm paraphrasing, it was a number of years ago I read it, but that was the gist.

Thing is, Pratt was talking about singers asking him things like this - you would expect a bit of leeway for a musician who didn't play an amplified instrument and have to spend hours tweaking knobs to get their tone. As for the rest of us, dunno - maybe we should produce a 'guitarist's thesaurus'.

Dirt - distortion
    Chewy - compression
    Unforgiving - an amplifier that I'm not used to
    Bit of hair - ...I'm lost on this one. I think it's one down from 'dirt' and one up from 'chewy'.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited November 2021
    I'd say it's compressed and "squashed" in the feel, but a bit more dry/raw/fuzzy and not in that super smooth "liquid lead tone" sort of way. That was all the buzz words. Orange amps can sound and feel like that I think.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Works well with a guitar that plays like butter perhaps?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, like butter but with valves in it, so it gets crunchy when you bite into to it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know what chewy means to me, and when I've dialed in a tone I'd consider chewy, but I'm not sure I could put it into words. 

A tone you can squash into, not harsh and hard. 

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    This is what I would call chewy

This.
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    Now then...

I too find it very difficult to describe a guitar sound using words that are not in the slightest bit germane to the job. 

Having said that, I forget where I saw it but someone described a sound as 'having that umlaut' you need for full bore metal. And I knew exactly what he meant. 
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/gain-staging-channel-switching-vs-volume-knob.2304148/#post-33549083

Could have been this...

In which case I may have slightly exaggerated the bore of the metal in question...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Also, tele neck pickup into a thick crunchy amp is what I'd call chewy.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1119
    All these words are bullshit but if you go to 3:58 in 5 Minutes Alone by Pantera that's what I think of as a chewy sound.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4166
    S56035 said:
    All these words are bullshit but if you go to 3:58 in 5 Minutes Alone by Pantera that's what I think of as a chewy sound.
    I can't think of the bit you mean without listening to it, but it's a tune alright. That and 'Regular People (Conceit)' from the Vulgar Display... album are probably my favourites. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 420
    edited November 2021
    I always think of the intro to funk #49 

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    I dunno, but Steve Craddock probably does - Moseley Shoals by Ocean Colour Scene has a lot of guitar sounds in it which I’d struggle to avoid using the word “Chewy” (along with “Squashy” and “Organic”) if I was trying to describe them…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    edited November 2021
    Tbh I'd have thought drew would be the last one to worry about a bit of wacky, colourful language 
    I don't think he is worried, this thread is the second in an occasional series - preceded by the classic SPOILERS
    imho chewy is a phaser or autowah giving movement. That kind of movement is implied in funk 49 by what is played.

The problem as stated before is that nobody can agree what the terms mean. Case in point that Burn clip is very distorted but described as cleanish.. So if we can't agree on what overdrive means any term using food, bath accessories or redemption isn't going to be effective.