Advice on Jazz Bass - Beginner

What's Hot

Comments

• Do what I did for my first bass..  go Jag! The best of both worlds in that you get a jazz neck and both P & J pickups. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    Shame you can't remember the amp - will have a big bearing on how it sounded. Bass amps are, as you can imagine, as much of a user preference as basses themselves - there's some amps I really hate the sound from, others I love, both with the same bass..
    I remembered what it looked like, and I tracked it down as being an Ashdown RM 500-EVO II head, based on the photos on their website.
    edited December 2021
    Do what I did for my first bass..  go Jag! The best of both worlds in that you get a jazz neck and both P & J pickups. 
    I did think about it, but they did not have one there to test.
    RichardT said:
    I've got one of these sitting here doing little or nothing:

Previous owner dropped in Dimarzio Model J pickups and rewired to VTB. Older model so doesn't have the current high mass Babicz bridge. Very clean and a pretty good J , I just tend to pick up something less, well, massive, 9 times out of 10 when the bass mood comes upon me.

Is it that robust? :) How does it compare to a Squier Affinity Jazz that I tried today? And how much would you be looking for it?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Amigo said:
    Shame you can't remember the amp - will have a big bearing on how it sounded. Bass amps are, as you can imagine, as much of a user preference as basses themselves - there's some amps I really hate the sound from, others I love, both with the same bass..
    I remembered what it looked like, and I tracked it down as being an Ashdown RM 500-EVO II head, based on the photos on their website.
    Not bad amps, but you might find you don't like the Ashdown sound. 

By contrast, you should try a MarkBass amp next time
    edited December 2021
    I moved this from Bass £ to just Bass, as it is really advice I am after.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Amigo, what advice are you looking for? I thought you were waiting for @RichardT to let you know the bass he has so that you can decide between that and the two you tried at PMT, of which the Hofner sounds like it appeals to you more that the Squire Affinity Jazz.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    RichardT said:
    Dimarzio Model J pickups and rewired to VTB.
    Does VTB indicate volume, treble, bass (like some G&L guitars) or volume, tone, balance? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    RichardT said:
    Dimarzio Model J pickups and rewired to VTB.
    Does VTB indicate volume, treble, bass (like some G&L guitars) or volume, tone, balance? 
    I'd hope the latter - I couldn't imagine not being able to solo the neck pickup!
    I'm being pedantic about the acronym.

Bass guitar controls are often laid out as Volume, Balance, Tone. (i.e. VBT.) ICBM and/or prowla would probably remind us that this is not the actual signal path.

NV, BV, Treble, Bass would be a workable proposition but, on a regular J Bass, the tone control knobs would need to be stacked.
    I'm being pedantic about the acronym.

Bass guitar controls are often laid out as Volume, Balance, Tone. (i.e. VBT.) ICBM and/or prowla would probably remind us that this is not the actual signal path.

NV, BV, Treble, Bass would be a workable proposition but, on a regular J Bass, the tone control knobs would need to be stacked.
    You? Pedantic? 

Nah. I don't believe it :D
    Oi! You omitted the full stop after the word it.  :#
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    Years back I picked up a used Bass Centre Jazz and did a similar upgrade to it.  It was a nice bass and if the price is right, might be a good buy for you to get into bass playing.  
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Aria make decent basses for reasonable money. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Amigo said:Is it that robust? How does it compare to a Squier Affinity Jazz that I tried today? .....And how much would you be looking for it?

Hi, sorry, missed this.    

So I can't help w/ the comparison, never played the Squier. Or for that matter any other J aside from a friend's 90s MIA std (?). These are (or were at any rate) Korean-made, Samick I think, and the build, finish and feel are pretty good - likely more 'Classic Vibe' territory but IMO loses little by comparison with MIM Strats etc. I've owned. Basswood I believe, and slightly shallower body, so relatively light.

No case and only the flimsiest gig bag hence best shipped neck-off, so depending on P&P  c£200 + £15 posted, I guess.

Oh and yes: volume, balance/pan, tone. Useful setup IMO, eg does a decent P-bass growl. Had the plate off the other day and it looks like the p/up swap included CTS pots and a Switchcraft jack.

Cheers R

RichardT said:
    Korea … Samick … Basswood … slightly shallower body … the p/up swap included CTS pots and a Switchcraft jack. 
    In short, at least as good as Squier Affinity but, possibly, not as slick as Squier Standard/VM/CV. 

The upgrades would have cost three quarters of the asking price.

A veritable bargain, if you ask me. Nice colour too.
  • Yamaha and Ibanez have some great entry level options.  Get to a shop and try a few.
  • A Jazz Bass will have a neck appreciated more by guitarists. The sound in your head is probably a Precision Bass though.

edited December 2021
    Whistler said:
    Amigo, what advice are you looking for? I thought you were waiting for @RichardT to let you know the bass he has so that you can decide between that and the two you tried at PMT, of which the Hofner sounds like it appeals to you more that the Squire Affinity Jazz.
    As the thread progressed it became apparent to me that it won't be a straightforward task, and that more questions would arise.
    RichardT said:
    Amigo said:Is it that robust? How does it compare to a Squier Affinity Jazz that I tried today? .....And how much would you be looking for it?

Hi, sorry, missed this.    

So I can't help w/ the comparison, never played the Squier. Or for that matter any other J aside from a friend's 90s MIA std (?). These are (or were at any rate) Korean-made, Samick I think, and the build, finish and feel are pretty good - likely more 'Classic Vibe' territory but IMO loses little by comparison with MIM Strats etc. I've owned. Basswood I believe, and slightly shallower body, so relatively light.

No case and only the flimsiest gig bag hence best shipped neck-off, so depending on P&P  c£200 + £15 posted, I guess.

Oh and yes: volume, balance/pan, tone. Useful setup IMO, eg does a decent P-bass growl. Had the plate off the other day and it looks like the p/up swap included CTS pots and a Switchcraft jack.

Cheers R

Thanks, it is more and more clear to me that I will need to lay my hands on a bass to make my mind up. With the prospect of travel down your neck of the woods very unlikely any time soon, I will pass the opportunity, if you don't mind.
    Rocker said:
    Aria make decent basses for reasonable money. 
    I saw them, and they do look interesting. I could not continue my quest in music shops over the last week or so, but I may be able to do so next week.
    Yamaha and Ibanez have some great entry level options.  Get to a shop and try a few.
    That is true, the Ibanez I tried in PMT did feel very good in my hands. I may try Yamaha basses as well next.
    A Jazz Bass will have a neck appreciated more by guitarists. The sound in your head is probably a Precision Bass though.

I fear that you might be right. I listened to a few PB online and they do seem to make a sound that I quite like. Would a PJ bass be a good compromise between a P and a J, if the neck feels right?
    Don't be silly. This is The Fretboard. When trying to decide between two instruments, the correct answer is to buy both. :)