drum machine with bass drum only

What's Hot
BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 407
Having tried a few allegedly 'simple' drum machines, I now realise that all I need for live performances is a bass drum (or stomp box) playing four to a bar or in 12/8 time, that I can set the tempo with and switch on and off with a footswitch. I don't need snare, hi-hat or fills.

Can anyone tell me what is the simplest way to do this. 

The 'simple' machines I've tried all want to provide pre-set full drum parts and the programmable machines seem very complicated to use live when I only want a bass drum beat. 

What can I use? I don't even know what I'm looking for.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    You mentioned that this is for live performance and you mentioned stomp box. The Ortega Horse Kick Pro is among the best of its kind. If you have more space you could use a cajon with a kick pedal attachment, although you will get a cajon sound not a bass drum sound so it does depend on what sound you want.
  • Whistler said:
    You mentioned that this is for live performance and you mentioned stomp box. The Ortega Horse Kick Pro is among the best of its kind. If you have more space you could use a cajon with a kick pedal attachment, although you will get a cajon sound not a bass drum sound so it does depend on what sound you want.
    Thanks. For one or two numbers, this would be ideal but not for a whole set. I've tried a looper but I perform standing up so it is too tricky to set the looper while stomping. I think I really need a drum machine so it is one press for starting and another for the ending. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Strummable drums has pads for bass & snare. I can't remember if you can set it so only the bass/snare trigger at the given tempo (3/4 or 4/4) but if it did, that would be what you are looking for?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    edited November 2021
    blobb said:
    Strummable drums has pads for bass & snare. I can't remember if you can set it so only the bass/snare trigger at the given tempo (3/4 or 4/4) but if it did, that would be what you are looking for?
    Do you mean Digitech SDRUM? Yes you can turn off the hi hat pattern and only have a kick pattern, but it throws the odd snare hit in as a fill even on the simplest pattern setting. And only 3/4 and 4/4 patterns.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Thanks guys. I'll look into that and see if it can do what I need
  • mrkb said:
    blobb said:
    Do you mean Digitech SDRUM? Yes you can turn off the hi hat pattern and only have a kick pattern, but it throws the odd snare hit in as a fill even on the simplest pattern setting. And only 3/4 and 4/4 patterns.
    I can’t seem to get my sdrum to do kick only, would be useful if it could. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    edited November 2021
     guitarcookie1 said:
    mrkb said:
    blobb said:
    I can’t seem to get my sdrum to do kick only, would be useful if it could. 
    Turn the Hats/Ride knob to select the position between the 1 and 12 pattern leds (ie no leds are lit)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • This is sounding promising. I'm just looking through the manual - but I might have to buy it to try it out properly.
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    I'm interested to read your plight... I've just posted a similar request in "Live" section. I use a Roland SPD-ONE KICK - it works really well, and sounds as good as any, but I wish I could find the same with an auto take over looper - get the beat goiing then let the electronics carry on. Doesnt seem to exist!
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 407
    I've not found anything that does what I need it to yet. I've resorted to using a real live conga player. I'll keep an eye on your thread and if I do find anything, I'll let you know.
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    I've resorted to using a real live conga player.
    Is this a Roland device?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It would be less trouble if it was
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    This will probably not be a lot of help unless you need the rest of it as well, but the Boss ME-50B bass multi-fx has a kick drum effect with foot tempo setting. It’s quite large compared to a single stomp box though. (But smaller than a conga player.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

That's massively more than I need - but it does seem to do exactly what I want - so I shall investigate further. 

I mean, I can fit a conga player in the boot of the car, but the congas take up the whole back seat.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SR16 can do everything you want, simple to use and tap tempo, so you can do it all standing up without touching machines just two unlatched pedals. 
    SR16 can do everything you want, simple to use and tap tempo, so you can do it all standing up without touching machines just two unlatched pedals. 

I had one of these when I was in a band and I sold it because I didn't need it. 

I might explore getting another but I didn't really like the sound that much - but it is a cheaper option.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Why not just plug in the bass drum?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    GarageBand or DM1. Requires a laptop or iPad but easy to operate once set up.
    JezWynd said:
    GarageBand or DM1. Requires a laptop or iPad but easy to operate once set up.
    No, no. Simpler, simpler. There must be something simpler - and smaller, I don't want to be setting up a laptop. I'd like something plug and play with one decent sound and a knob that makes it faster or slower. 
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 373
    You could look into the volca kick (probably a bit overkill) or the volca beats. 
    Both have memory so you can save patterns, have start stop buttons and tempo knobs.

Patterns are easy to make too, you can either press play and record at the same time and tap it in live. Or press record and just tap where you want the beat.

You can set the number of active steps so you can set your time signature that way.

There's millions of videos on these so you should be able to figure out if it's for you.