Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ever been surpised by an amp?

What's Hot
tbmtbm Frets: 586
Played an odd wee gig last Friday in a kind of bar/gallery space. We were only able to bring our guitars so we asked the promoter to provide amps that we could used, telling him what we used at home which is basically a pair of AC30s.

So I show up and I'm presented with this:

I'll be honest, I had a little panic. Yeah it was a small room, but there were no mics for the amps and I was sure I wouldn't be able to get a useable sound out of it, or that it would be able to keep up with our drummer. Long story short, I was wrong! The above settings with the guitar volume dialled back, gave me a totally useable and surprisingly loud clean tone.  

Dumble me hole....

Anyone else jumped to conclusions and been surprised?

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 627
    Yeah I was very surprised by the Roland cube 60...I used it with a pedal and it sounded great set to the blackface model ...
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited September 2013
    I've been surprised by a monitor on the edge of the stage that I didn't quite see in the darkness.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    Roland JC180 (4x10s) that was part of a backline- great clean sound and took pedals really well.

@Barney - I used a Roland Cube 60 for many years on the Blackface setting with a pedalboard and it's still my backup. Great things.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 627
    Kebabkid;30949" said:
    Roland JC180 (4x10s) that was part of a backline- great clean sound and took pedals really well.

@Barney - I used a Roland Cube 60 for many years on the Blackface setting with a pedalboard and it's still my backup. Great things.
    Yeah same here..I just throw it in the back of the van has a spare and have a pedal in my lead bag....surprisingly very good little amp and would hesitate to use it any where..even has a line out for the PA if needed...built like a tank as well..
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    The one amp that surprised me is my old divided by 13 ftr 37.

Far more bottom end (and very defined) than any other amp I've ever played through including just about everything modern high gain like diezel, peavey etc.
    edited September 2013
    as @fastboy is here, I should like to add that your Laney Iommi "Rig Of Doom" surprised me and many others. Considering what came out of it, hum-wise, it was as quiet as a mouse :)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I was very surprised by the Kerry King signature version of the Marshall JCM800.

Surprised he could put his name to something that sounds quite as unbelievably shite as that did.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A Peavey Bandit felt me up at a bus stop. ~:> Although I also remember an old Traynor at a rehearsal studio that looked incredibly dangerous but sounded just huge and gorgeous.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Does the first time I got a 500v DC shock off the HT count?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I found an AC30 mugging an old lady for heroin money, they don't call them class A for nothing. 
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    First time I heard a Lazy J (before they were famous).  Stunning.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    edited September 2013
    A Fender Twin once jumped out at me one night, round the side of Asda on the way to the bus stop. It was dark, quite disconcerting. It ran away giggling.

EDIT: Replaced 'Blackface' with Twin for the benefit of those with a little racism paranoia.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Does the first time I got a 500v DC shock off the HT count?

Yup, got that smouldering t-shirt!  :-S
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    A lot of amps I play through surprise everyone else in the shop when I play them - everything right down to little solid-state amps like that Fender or even smaller, things with a 4" speaker and just three knobs are my speciality :). I can usually make them sound OK at worst. The trick is to start by turning the volume and bass up full, keeping the others low, and use the guitar controls if necessary. You can usually only get one good sound out of them, and at the maximum volume the amp is capable of, but it's usually not a bad sound.

One that really surprised me was a Fender Princeton Chorus - in a similar situation to the OP, it was described to me by the promoter as a 'Fender Twin'. Still, with my Mesa V1 pedal through it, it sounded so good that if there had been one for sale anywhere near me that week I'd have bought it.

I was also very surprised by a Kustom 36 Coupe - when I saw it I assumed it was a cheap Chinese-made amp like most of the modern Kustoms. It sounded stunning, seriously one of the best amps I've ever heard. Later I found out that it was part of the rather expensive US-made range...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Oh man, the kustom coupe amps. Not many have heard of them, so they sometimes go cheap on ebay. Apparently a lot of country players use them, but I just loved everything about it.
  • Another vote for the Roland Cube - I use the one in our practice space sometimes when I can't be arsed moving my rig, really like it.
    edited September 2013

Just something more to add to the Cube comments - it's the Cube 60 that's the good-sounding one (specially ported cab and matched speaker).

I just remembered another amp that wowed me and it's a rare and discontinued one from 2003 - T-Rex Big Tone T25 Combo. Ridiculously expensive (gold relays, high quality cabinet etc) and tried one at Chandler Guitars. What a clean tone and up until then, I only thought these types of sounds came from 6L6s or 6V6s - it was the first time I'd ever sat up and noticed that EL84s can deliver great cleans.

Anyone know anything about the Hohner 25 Reverb? I like this guy's clips on YT and he uses one for demos. It seems to take pedals really well but has a nice clean sound too which can be heard at the beginning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=784TOQGmA3g

• dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    daveyh said:
    A Fender Blackface once jumped out at me one night, round the side of Asda on the way to the bus stop. It was dark, quite disconcerting. It ran away giggling.
    Racist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    I used to have an Orange Tiny Terror, lovely for what it did. My Eldest boy had a 'Cruiser' Chinese practice amp from a starter package years ago. Thin chipboard sides, 4" cone and hardboard/fibreboard back with lightweight transformers and all. In fact everything was cheap and barely adequate. Astonishingly I could make it sound quite like the TT when overdriven and had fun comparing the two side by side. However it was one of those sounds that was tiring on the ears after a while despite being a close match in person. I'm sure it could have been recorded and buried in the mix to sound quite acceptable.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    dindude said:
    daveyh said:
    A Fender Blackface once jumped out at me one night, round the side of Asda on the way to the bus stop. It was dark, quite disconcerting. It ran away giggling.
    Racist.
    What?