Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ever been surpised by an amp?

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8624
    ^it was a very sophisticated joke that only I got. A play on Daily Mail like journalism where the story is that you were mugged but you felt it necessary to mention the colour of their face. Ha ha ha ha. Actually, it was just a bad joke. I'm very sorry. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    dindude;31814" said:
    ^it was a very sophisticated joke that only I got. A play on Daily Mail like journalism where the story is that you were mugged but you felt it necessary to mention the colour of their face. Ha ha ha ha.

Actually, it was just a bad joke. I'm very sorry. :)

Don't worry I got it too. Must be because my dad gets the dreary mail .
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Bucket said:
    I was very surprised by the Kerry King signature version of the Marshall JCM800.

Surprised he could put his name to something that sounds quite as unbelievably shite as that did.

I've heard these, but they do need to be turned right up, and I thought they were decent sounding, but Effing loud.

The amps that have really surprised me have been the little Laney RC15 (poss LC15). I've used and heard these used at various jams, and they always sound good.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 390
    I'm surprised at how impossible it is for me to dial in a high gain setting in my Badger 30 that sounds even remotely as good as in demos.. Can I facepalm myself?? A serious piece of gear nonetheless. I'm happy the Princeton chorus was mentioned here as I'm getting one cheap for back up.

Brgrds,
  • Bucket said:
    I was very surprised by the Kerry King signature version of the Marshall JCM800.

Surprised he could put his name to something that sounds quite as unbelievably shite as that did.
    Hang on - you were SURPRISED that a piece of equipment used to give Kerry King his 'tone' sounded shit? :/ 

I thought you could save a lot of money by just buying a jam jar full of angry wasps and shaking it at roughly the tempo of the song...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Clean tone of a DSL50 surprised me - it was useable and had a Marshall badge!

And an old Traynor bass amp that used to live in the shop I worked at (it had been there so long the owner of the shop had forgotten it was there). One day a chap came in looking for a vintage valve bass amp and that was the only working one in the shop that day! So he plugged it into his Fender projector cab (remember those?) and rocked out on his Precision... it probably had the best bass tone I ever heard. Needless to say he bought if for the (IIRC) £125 price tag... those were the days. I'd love to give a guitar amp a try some time to see if their 6-string amps are so impressive...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 702
    impmann said:
    Clean tone of a DSL50 surprised me - it was useable and had a Marshall badge!

Marshall cleans are plenty useable, I was using a 2555 in the early '90s for funk rock and could *easily* get a stereotypical Nile-sim when needed.
  • Yamaha THR10. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tbh I was pleasantly surprised by the tone of the bass dept in my Treble'n'Bass 50SV when putting the RBX375 through it at the GearFest. I don't often have the need to wind it up quite as much as on Saturday but when the power stage is working at more than just tickover it seems to have a nice growl to it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Vox Vigilante 100W amp

It was surprisingly heavy, it was surprisingly quiet, it was incredibly bad given it was a vox.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • tbh I was pleasantly surprised by the tone of the bass dept in my Treble'n'Bass 50SV when putting the RBX375 through it at the GearFest.
    Very nice tone indeed. :)
  • @ddlooping Thank you. I think that's the best I've heard it. You seemed to get on all right with the RBX. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself

• @ddlooping Thank you. I think that's the best I've heard it. You seemed to get on all right with the RBX. 
    Once I got used to having a fifth string. :D
    I liked the feel of the flat-wounds. :)
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 275
    crunchman said:
    First time I heard a Lazy J (before they were famous).  Stunning.
    I have been avoiding trying one of these but did so yesterday at Chandlers: Left my jaw on the floor. Best clean sound I have heard ever...by a mile. A pal who was with me agreed. We had been trying the Kemper AM and were very impressed but the J20 reminded us both why valve amps rule in the end. Both already saving for one...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    I bought mine in Chandler's in the really early days of Lazy J before anyone had heard of them.  It doesn't even have a logo on it.  Like you I was blown away by it.  Sold my Cornell Romany Plus and never looked back.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Most recently when @ddlooping played through his THR as the East Anglian gear fest.

I think it was fair to say everyone there took an interest in that little thing.

If I had a need for another practice amp I would be shopping a THR right now as is I believe @TTony ;
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlonde said:
    If I had a need for another practice amp I would be shopping a THR right now as is I believe @TTony ;
    I think Tony has made the jump and ordered one from Thomann. :D
  • ICBM said:
    I was also very surprised by a Kustom 36 Coupe - when I saw it I assumed it was a cheap Chinese-made amp like most of the modern Kustoms. It sounded stunning, seriously one of the best amps I've ever heard. Later I found out that it was part of the rather expensive US-made range...
    Hmmm, got a lead on one of those relatively cheap...don't really NEED it, but they do look kinda cool...:p
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    edited September 2013
    I had a deville 4x10  jump out from behind a wall at Sound Control once,     
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567

Sorry every time I see this topic I picture an amp jumping out of a cupboard at me.

Yeah perhaps it is just me.