How to store a Bass?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
A Squier P Bass that lives in a very thin gig bag, I mean THIN!

I don't want to leave it out on the Stand if I can get away with it.

I'm not that Lazy that I can't unzip the bag when I want to play it.

SO:

Lay it Down on it's back, Lay it on it's side against something or lean it vertical against something (I'm guessing the latter is the least advisable) ????????????????????/

Ta!
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lay it Down on it's back, Lay it on it's side against something or lean it vertical against something (I'm guessing the latter is the least advisable) ????????????????????/

Ta!
    I personally wouldn’t do any of those, the bass I’m playing most at the time is left on a stand, the others are on wall hangers or in their hardcases 
    Riddim up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I have wall hangers and a floor stand as well. 

I also keep a couple in Mono gig bags, which are superb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Truly vertical - like it would be on a stand or hanger - so there's no front-to-back force on the neck is best. If that's not possible, on its side (ie the playing position) is probably next best. Lying flat in a hard case with neck support is OK. Lying on its back without the neck supported or leaning against something so there is forwards force on the neck is the worst and could possibly cause neck adjustment problems over time.

That said, it's a P-Bass so it will probably be fine whatever you do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    With waffur theen economy gigbags, I worry that the unprotected zip teeth are going to nibble into the finish.

I always have a bass guitar, on a stand, in the same room as my computer recording equipment. This way, if I need to capture an idea, there are the minimum of distractions.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2280
    You can’t make a P Bass go wrong. It’ll cope with anything except wilful destruction. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    rze99 said:
    You can’t make a P Bass go wrong. It’ll cope with anything except wilful destruction. 
    And even then it’ll likely work fine
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Might have to come to terms with leaving it on a stand, then. I get a bit OCD with dust, that's all.

I have a Hercules Stand, the Bass seems to rest more on the Upper Bout side jaw of the stand, looks all wrong and like it would knacker the stand.

I have a Kinsman stand too where the Bass just rests with the back of the neck around the 5th fret. The Bass is near vertical so it should be fine.

By the way, I store all my regular Guitars in hard cases on their sides in the playing position. I take it that is fine. I never really thought about that before.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2280
    rze99 said:
    And even then it’ll likely work fine
    now, where’s that pic of Paul Simonon’s bass…

• ...By the way, I store all my regular Guitars in hard cases on their sides in the playing position. I take it that is fine. I never really thought about that before.

I store 8 of mine (guitars and basses) in a Hercules GS525B guitar rack, and the others hanging on the wall. I like them within quick reach.

It's not a competition.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    rze99 said:
    Paul Simonon’s bass…
    Captain Sensible borrowed it to play Smash It Up, parts 1 & 2.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.

• ...By the way, I store all my regular Guitars in hard cases on their sides in the playing position. I take it that is fine. I never really thought about that before.

I store 8 of mine (guitars and basses) in a Hercules GS525B guitar rack, and the others hanging on the wall. I like them within quick reach.

I meant one of these @stratman3142 when I said all the weight of the bass headstock was on one jaw of the stand.

Hercules Stands HCGS-414B Guitar Stand  Thomann UK
  • Might have to come to terms with leaving it on a stand, then. I get a bit OCD with dust, that's all.

Yeah I don’t like the dust either, I’ve got some fender spray cleaner and a microfibre cloth which I use to give them an occasional wipe over 
    Riddim up
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1922
    I don't like hanging guitars at all as they must collect dust which finds its way into the switchgear and everywhere else. Same  with stands. I like all mine to be in a case when not played. Only exception are acoustics, and then only the cheaper ones which I'll happily have on a stand ready to hand. Only reason to hang guitars off a wall is if you're a shop selling them. Looks pretentious anyway. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• I like hanging guitars on the wall. They are in my office. I look at them while on zoom calls and it makes me happy.

"Pretentious" is a weirdly judgemental thought about the motivation of people you don't know.

U.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    I keep two acoustic guitars on a hanger and a stand because they look nice, they're easy to grab if I have a moment of inspiration - rare enough that I don't want any obstacles to being able to play it straight away! - and because the constant vibrations in the room make them sound better... really. They do gather a bit of dust but it's easy enough to clean them every few weeks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3663
    edited December 2021
    Wall hangers when they are not on stands.  They get played that way.

A thin bag is pretty pointless if you are having to store and move it every time you want to play.  At least with hard cases you can lay them on the floor or stack them.
  • Devil#20 said:
    Looks pretentious anyway. 
    What’s pretentious about storing your basses on wall hangers, it keeps them off the floor and away from being damaged and they are easily accessible, I’ve got them all round my bass room 
    Riddim up