SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED - Looking for a cheap starter bass sub £100

lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
edited February 2022 in Basses £
Ambitious I know, but looking for a friend who's 16 yo son wants to learn bass.

He lives in Dorset but works in London. Ideally a starter pack that includes an amp. 

I did recommend Thoman for a HB starter pack but I think that is slightly out of budget. There is a gear 4 music pack in Guildford but I have no clue what they are like.

Anything out there...??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Frankly, that budget is obliges your friend to choose EITHER an instrument OR an amplifier. 

Earlier this week, a Fretboarder secured a Squier Affinity P Bass for one hundred Pounds. IMO, that is a fair price for a usable instrument.

Sub-ton prices take you into the realms of Encore, Westfield, Tanglewood, Höhner/Arbor, Gould and Turser. Quality is hit and miss. You might get lucky. Equally, you might land a clunker.

Occasionally, you might chance upon a seller who does not really know what he or she has. The price may be far less than the instrument is worth. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited December 2021
    I agree with @Funkfingers ;;; however, looking at secondhand options, these two on Gumtree are examples to show it could be possible to get a bass guitar and a bass amp for under £100 all in. See this unknown brand bass guitar in Southampton, which would not be my choice as it may fall foul of funkfingers' comment about cheap instruments, and this Laney BC30 bass amp in Southsea, which I think will be a good buy.

If you do decide to check a cheap, unbranded instrument it would be good insurance to take a bassist with you to check it out as there are lemons and there are peaches; you just need someone who can play it and let you know which it is.

Edited: I forgot to add that the cheapest full size bass guitar and amp package on gear4music is £160. That will be for intentionally low quality products aimed at being the lowest possible price. You do get a guarantee, if that is important to your friend and his son.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    There is a gear 4 music pack in Guildford but I have no clue what they are like.
    Do you know the model name and number? Failing that, can you liken its appearance to better known brands?

The majority of G4M instruments I have encountered are in dire need of some TLC. This done, they can be comfortable, playable instruments. 

The classic places to find instruments for very little money are charity shops and boot sales. Expect these to need a good cleaning and a set-up. 

Cheaper instruments often have necks that struggle with the tension of big strings. Changing to .035 or .040 to .095 will help the neck and make things easier for newb finger tips whilst calluses are developing.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • There was a HB on facebook for 60 quid but it's gone now  :s
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1075
    These Fazley MM copies look pretty good for £97

they also have some P copies at £85

Free shiiping & returns and a 30 day MBG...might be worth a punt

• If you are still looking I have my Washburn acoustic with practice amp and gig bag up for £120.00. I'd take £100.00 as I'm looking at a big bill for my Avalon guitar order. It can be played acoustically although it's not very loud - that might be an advantage?

Also, it's in Devon with my son and wouldn't take a big step from Dorset to pick it up in Newton Abbot.

I have some pics I could let you have on your personal e mail. Can't figure out how to get them on here.

Please let me know how you feel?
  • If you are still looking I have my Washburn acoustic with practice amp and gig bag up for £120.00. I'd take £100.00 as I'm looking at a big bill for my Avalon guitar order. It can be played acoustically although it's not very loud - that might be an advantage?

Also, it's in Devon with my son and wouldn't take a big step from Dorset to pick it up in Newton Abbot.

I have some pics I could let you have on your personal e mail. Can't figure out how to get them on here.

Please let me know how you feel?
    Thanks for the offer but it's all sorted now. I'll update the post :+1: