Help. Mixing desk outputs to numerous stage monitors

What's Hot
For the simpleton in me. For a live band, Can someone explain how 2 xlr outputs on a mixing desk can send audio to 3 different stage monitors that aren't connected? Should I be using a different audio out on the mixer, or will I need a multi in/out box on stage as well?
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Does your mixer have "group outputs"? Those could be used for monitoring. What model mixer is it? Someone on here might be able to give you some advice based on that.
  • I should say I have purchased a mixer yet so I'm looking for the cheapest which can handle what I need 3 vocals 1 kick drum mics. (recommendations welcome) 
    Could I use the thru outputs on each monitor to daisy chain them is possible? 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    For monitoring you probably want to be using the aux sends, rather than the mains, if you have any. Then you can have a different mix in each monitor (or at least, on each aux channel).
  • Snags said:
    For monitoring you probably want to be using the aux sends, rather than the mains, if you have any. Then you can have a different mix in each monitor (or at least, on each aux channel).
    So each channel needs its own aux sends/outputs? 
  • For the simpleton in me. For a live band, Can someone explain how 2 xlr outputs on a mixing desk can send audio to 3 different stage monitors that aren't connected? Should I be using a different audio out on the mixer, or will I need a multi in/out box on stage as well?
    Thanks
    It sounds to me like the "two outputs on a mixing desk" you're talking about are the main stereo outputs. These are typically connected to the main front-of-house (FoH) speaker system and receive the main mix, controlled by the faders on the desk.

Stage monitors typically receive a different mix to FoH, which can be done in various different ways, but for small-scale systems it's often done with Aux sends, Aux 1 => monitor mix one, Aux 2 => mix two, etc.

What's the desk?
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I use a Behringer XR18 - that has 18 inputs, so plenty spare, but most importantly it has 6 Aux sends for individual monitor mixes for the entire band. There is an app you can download so each person can alter their own mix themselves without pestering me for it :)

What's your budget?
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • I have messed up I meant aux out rather than xlr/mains. I can go to £150 but obviously the smaller the better
  • I have messed up I meant aux out rather than xlr/mains. I can go to £150 but obviously the smaller the better
    Do you mean you have a mixer with two aux outs and you want to send audio to three monitors?
  • Yes, If I had a mixer with two aux outputs then how would I send the sound to 3 monitors? 
  • Yes, If I had a mixer with two aux outputs then how would I send the sound to 3 monitors? 
    You could drive two monitors from the same aux output. How you do that depends on your setup. If your amplifiers or active monitors have "thru" outputs, you can just link chain two monitors off the same aux send. If not, you need a balanced line-level splitter - this is a good price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265084570997 (they're £270 new!)

HTH,

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Some monitors have a slave type output so you can daisy chain them up. My behringer monitors have this option. 
  • dilithium85dilithium85 Frets: 49
    edited December 2021
    Think I may go for a signal splitter option as its cheap and manageable
    Or buy a headphone amp with multiple outs
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    Small mixers only tend to have 1 aux or 2 at the most. 

If you can run to £219 though then the ui12 from Soundcraft will give you 3 aux sends ... although it looks like there's only 2 you can use the headphone socket as a proper aux send if you route it in the software. You also get wireless control, USB record and decent quality effects. This things are crazy cheap. I use the big brother ui24 version. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    edited December 2021
    Most powered stage monitors, and some amplifiers used with unpowered speakers, will have an XLR link output. You can chain these together almost indefinitely. 

If your speakers don't have a link output, you can use a simple XLR y-split cable. When splitting outputs like that, you don't need any fancy electronics in between. There's a small loss in signal level but it'll be barely enough for you to notice.  Example here: https://www.gear4music.com/G4M/Dual-XLR-M-XLR-F-Splitter-Cable/2M1I?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqvaNBhDLARIsAH1Pq51IX0vTUiB-rXw7tFKjfFPcfANmaSv63OmxuDynbK0FUczBRbxaWs0aAgzHEALw_wcB