Solo of the Month (SotM) #77 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
edited December 2021 in Making Music
This is the 77th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open and ends at midnight 24th December 2021.

Discussion:
This backing track was kindly provided by @maharg101, and also happens to be the winning entry to Riff of the Month #69.
I've reduced the level a bit to allow headroom for the solos.

You can download backing track from Soundcloud below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm77-2021-12-maharg101-cruise-control?si=a51f1503dba1465c94159772c2d048c4

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Title: Cruise Control

Tempo: 77

Chords:
E (with sus4 trill) - E9 - A - C - Dma(add4)

There should be headroom to record your solo. Try to set a level without excessive master limiting, because we want to avoid loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm77-2021-12?si=8abb23ff1883498dbfed0b03cd713955

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Done mine. Trying to play slowly this time (hence the spin on the backing track title) :)

Here's a warts and all video.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    @stratman3142 ; :o Please tell me that wasn't the first take!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Habanero said:
    @stratman3142 ; :o Please tell me that wasn't the first take!!!

Definitely not. I spent quite a while developing ideas first. There are places where it didn't quite go to plan and one obvious fluff, but I decided to leave it.

It's not a competition.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7117
    edited December 2021
    Just sent mine in after a few hours dicking around with GarageBand.  I tried to play something bit different from my usual vanilla smooth jazz / blues ..:::I tried to channel a bit of the Zappa cranked fuzz live feel where he does that random open string pull offs out of nowhere thing but listening back it probably sounds more like a Neil Young solo that didn't make the final cut :-)

It was the trusty Strat again into a Garageband cranked Vox model with a virtual flanger, fuzz and a phaser
  • The backing track reminds me of the Bluetones of you remember them from the 90s? 
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • The backing track reminds me of the Bluetones of you remember them from the 90s? 
    Never really got into them although in hindsight I probably would have liked them. Was more of a Blur man really despite thinking Damon a tad nobbish
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1725
    edited December 2021
    The backing track reminds me of the Bluetones of you remember them from the 90s? 
    Never really got into them although in hindsight I probably would have liked them. Was more of a Blur man really despite thinking Damon a tad nobbish
    Ah yes I loved blur getting into them a bit late, my younger sister was way ahead of me on that stuff - in 92-93 I was totally absorbed in 80s metal

• Just sent mine...
    It's in the playlist. That makes 2.

It's not a competition.
  • Sent one in. 

Telecaster bridge with the tone rolled off
    VFE Standout > VFE Fiery Red Horse Fuzz / VFE The Scream (one section).
    MJW Electra
    Ox Big Deez 2x12 with a bit of plate reverb
    EQ, delay, touch of chorus in Reaper
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • maharg101 said:
    Sent one in. 

That makes 3 in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Just sent mine in after a few hours dicking around with GarageBand.  I tried to play something bit different from my usual vanilla smooth jazz / blues ..:::I tried to channel a bit of the Zappa cranked fuzz live feel where he does that random open string pull offs out of nowhere thing but listening back it probably sounds more like a Neil Young solo that didn't make the final cut :-)

It was the trusty Strat again into a Garageband cranked Vox model with a virtual flanger, fuzz and a phaser
    Definitely getting the FZ vibe there and the tone is very fitting for that style. Very nice !
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • As @marhag101 posted some details, here are mine just in case anyone is interested.

Ibanez AZ2204 bridge pickup
    Then, the following plugins in Reaper:
    Neural DSP SLO-100 using the 'SLO Lead' preset. I just raised the gate level a bit.
    Valhalla Room reverb on the default setting 

It's not a competition.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited December 2021
    Just sent mine in after a few hours dicking around with GarageBand.  I tried to play something bit different from my usual vanilla smooth jazz / blues ..:::I tried to channel a bit of the Zappa cranked fuzz live feel where he does that random open string pull offs out of nowhere thing but listening back it probably sounds more like a Neil Young solo that didn't make the final cut :-)

Love the sound of fuzz with flanger/phaser...I find a modulated clean tone doesn’t always work well for leads, but give a phaser or flanger some extra fuzzy harmonic goodness to work with = instant psychedelia   even better, place the fuzz after the modulation fx...

edit: I edited this post but somehow ended up deleting my message to @stratman3142 ;; ;
    Great playing....I have an irrational hatred of Ibanez but have to admit you got some good tones out of that one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent! @maharg101 ;

The Brian May feel was something I picked out of the backing as well - I’m enjoying building the solo along those lines as it’s so feel good and majestic! 

Mind you, you wrote the thing so I’d be interested to know if that was how you envisioned it when you wrote the riff?

• Excellent! @maharg101 ;

The Brian May feel was something I picked out of the backing as well - I’m enjoying building the solo along those lines as it’s so feel good and majestic! 

Mind you, you wrote the thing so I’d be interested to know if that was how you envisioned it when you wrote the riff?

:) Thanks - to begin with I just had the chord progression without the Dadd at the end. As I added the drums and bass it started to feel like something Pearl Jam might do, I could envisage an Eddie Vedder vocal over it. I think I lucked out with the drum pattern as this was pretty much my first go with power drum thingamabob in Reaper, but I love the feel of it.

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • maharg101 said:
    Excellent! @maharg101 ;

:) Thanks - to begin with I just had the chord progression without the Dadd at the end. As I added the drums and bass it started to feel like something Pearl Jam might do, I could envisage an Eddie Vedder vocal over it. I think I lucked out with the drum pattern as this was pretty much my first go with power drum thingamabob in Reaper, but I love the feel of it.

I can see that Pearl Jam thing, loping along with that vocal.

maybe I need a rethink!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7117
    edited December 2021
    loving these so far - @maharg101 , you had me hooked from that first lick and the lovely decay of the delay afterwords.  @stratman3142 , just absolute quality throughout. Really well constructed
  • loving these so far - @maharg101 , you had me hooked from that first lick and the lovely decay of the delay afterwords.  @stratman3142 , just absolute quality throughout. Really well constructed
    Thanks Con. Agree that Stratman's entry is fabulous !
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • Splendid backing track.  I even broke a string getting into the "feels". Doh.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Managed to send mine last night.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.