Playing vocal melodies with rhythmic chord tones like this guy

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I was watching the recent Rick Beato interview with Tommy Emmanuel last night. I appreciate that this is a different thing but Tommy's stock in trade is doing guitar arrangements of vocal melodies. Certainly his number one tip would be learn the melody first. Once you can play that you can look at harmonies around it. Very interesting that he can add jazz harmony or percussive noise or fast fills but the basic vocal melody line is still clear in what he is playing.  His number two tip would be timing - get the groove. 
    [ I should probably watch the video in the OP to see if this is at all the same thing!] 

Edit: watching the first video and he is not doing what I thought you meant. Oh well. Tim Pierce is good on these kind of things if you follow his YT channel as his session career tended be about constructing parts.   
    Some of what you say applies ,there are bits where you can hear the melody . I was quite interested in your perspective as your lessons are quite impressive on YouTube . Thank you for your input it is gratefully received . I think the rhythm is quite important in this ,it sounds good with quick staccato picking 
    I don’t think that’s me  - based on previous posts I think you mean @Danny1969 ;
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    ... staccato picking  which the leppardized treatment has ...
    Left and right hand muting, plus suitable levels of overdrive and compression, should get you there. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was watching the recent Rick Beato interview with Tommy Emmanuel last night. I appreciate that this is a different thing but Tommy's stock in trade is doing guitar arrangements of vocal melodies. Certainly his number one tip would be learn the melody first. Once you can play that you can look at harmonies around it. Very interesting that he can add jazz harmony or percussive noise or fast fills but the basic vocal melody line is still clear in what he is playing.  His number two tip would be timing - get the groove. 
    [ I should probably watch the video in the OP to see if this is at all the same thing!] 

Edit: watching the first video and he is not doing what I thought you meant. Oh well. Tim Pierce is good on these kind of things if you follow his YT channel as his session career tended be about constructing parts.   
    Some of what you say applies ,there are bits where you can hear the melody . I was quite interested in your perspective as your lessons are quite impressive on YouTube . Thank you for your input it is gratefully received . I think the rhythm is quite important in this ,it sounds good with quick staccato picking 
    I don’t think that’s me  - based on previous posts I think you mean @Danny1969 ;
    Ahh , I thought it was you ,it’s somebody with some cool glasses 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes , I’m more looking for theoretical guidelines to emulate the passages he plays ,but you are indeed right , I do use a comp. for that stuff plus chorus and delay for this kinda stuff .

I find the two middle strings (D & G) really good for getting the rhythm in the picking as you have a root  that’s easy to find with all the chord tones 3rd  5th plus the 4th and 7th handy 

it’s very clever how sometimes he gets certain notes to fall in with the vocal melody 
  • bwm5150bwm5150 Frets: 2
    I follow the chords and try to pick out new melodies that compliment what's already there. I just experiment a lot with it and decide on the parts that I think sound the best. I think naturally the parts that work best are one that best compliment the main melodies but not always. Some songs are easier than others to add too and there's some where I couldn't add that much so I mimicked a keyboard part or whatever else was there. Thanks for sharing and the kind words. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bwm5150 said:
    I follow the chords and try to pick out new melodies that compliment what's already there. I just experiment a lot with it and decide on the parts that I think sound the best. I think naturally the parts that work best are one that best compliment the main melodies but not always. Some songs are easier than others to add too and there's some where I couldn't add that much so I mimicked a keyboard part or whatever else was there. Thanks for sharing and the kind words. 
    Welcome!
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4085
    bwm5150 said:
    Wow Hi Ben , I’m getting a bit better at this now ,not up to your standard  but I find it a most enjoyable pursuit  and hope to add the technique to original stuff too . So pleased to see you on this forum 
  • bwm5150bwm5150 Frets: 2
    bwm5150 said:
    Wow Hi Ben , I’m getting a bit better at this now ,not up to your standard  but I find it a most enjoyable pursuit  and hope to add the technique to original stuff too . So pleased to see you on this forum 
    Hi, that's great! I've been thinking of doing a video on it because others have asked me about the approach and certain techniques. I think there's definitely method to it but maybe not as consciously on my part, but certainly I have learned things just through trial and error. You have mentioned about using the D & G strings which I agree is best for the basis (or bass) of these parts. I have found that anything I play in the lower register ends up having to double up with the bass otherwise it will clash. 

Feel free to ask me about these things. A lot of what was said above rings true but I have seen other posts (on Facebook groups) about something I play where people have given the wrong answers, so I'm always eager to clarify things if that happens. Maybe I come across as not approachable haha, I hope not, but I'm always willing to help where I can.

Cheers 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4085
    bwm5150 said:
    bwm5150 said:
    Hi, that's great! I've been thinking of doing a video on it because others have asked me about the approach and certain techniques. I think there's definitely method to it but maybe not as consciously on my part, but certainly I have learned things just through trial and error. You have mentioned about using the D & G strings which I agree is best for the basis (or bass) of these parts. I have found that anything I play in the lower register ends up having to double up with the bass otherwise it will clash. 

Feel free to ask me about these things. A lot of what was said above rings true but I have seen other posts (on Facebook groups) about something I play where people have given the wrong answers, so I'm always eager to clarify things if that happens. Maybe I come across as not approachable haha, I hope not, but I'm always willing to help where I can.

Cheers 
    Ben you are an absolute Saint , I love your arrangements  thank you for the offer of help 
    yes those D G & B strings are absolute magic for coming up with lovely little pieces  , chord tones mixed with scales .  Love the way it just flows when you play . The tone from that ME 50 is amazing too .  You indeed have inspired me to start trying to create my own original music .

I think your stuff should be on the radio ,