Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Live music is too loud

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I am 42 - spent large amount of time listening to music too loud on headphones and gigs...... but was also a fan of progressive house music and drum and bass in my youth - the sound in some of those clubs was defeaning - I've been told by other people my hearing is bad - but never really been concerned myself....

last Friday I went to a Xmas party - there was an Elvis 'tribute'.... I'd been put on a table that was literally underneath one of the PA's speakers. For the first time in my life the sound literally caused my physical pain.... I ate my food and spent the rest of the night going from table to table avoiding my seat..... 

I wonder if this is the start of something or wether its because I haven't played with the band for early two years or if it was just the sound on the night...might be time to invest in some ear plugs lol 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    ...might be time to invest in some ear plugs lol 
    Any time is a good time to invest in decent ear plugs. No amount of money can restore damaged hearing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I had some ear plugs ,I think they were called AR 20s or something ,they were very good but I think lost them in a taxi on the way home . Really must get some more . I had been watching a lot of death type bands in small pubs and they were really useful 
  • Roland said:
    ...might be time to invest in some ear plugs lol 
    Any time is a good time to invest in decent ear plugs. No amount of money can restore damaged hearing.
    Yeah? I am realising I have been thinking about this all wrong - because there was nothing wrong with my ears I thought I didn't need protection - it would seem my approach is arse about front?

I have no idea where to start - but my band are starting to practice and gig again in the new year so might start as I mean to go on? 

Any advice on whats good?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Mine are ACS, but that’s simply because they were taking moulds at the Guitar Show a couple of years ago. I took the option to have them on a string because it makes them harder to lose.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Honestly, ANYTHING is better than nothing. 
    You can get cheap effective plugs from a music shop, which attenuate rather than block everything.
    I got some ACS custom moulded ones a couple of years ago, when they were doing that Musician’s discount. No discount anymore but they are well worth it. I use them at all practices and gigs, playing or as an audience member.